• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

That's almost 25% of winters since 1950 ... pretty amazing, I never would have guessed one in four had less snow than this one up to this point.

December snows were pretty rare in the 70s and 80s. We've had a lot lately so people think we should've had 2 feet of snow by this point when normal is really only about 9"

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No real snow till about Jan. 26 it seems. The colder model runs have little precipitation to offer up as snow and the wetter runs have the higher temperatures. Looks like a trend to expect when considering the ENSO state, MJO phase, a PV which is healing itself back together and teleconnections that stink. We need an accident as in 'even a blind squirrel with a stuffy nose can find the nut sometimes'.

The gfs disagrees with all of this...not saying your wrong though.

Neg nao that is a serious if not total misread of what that MJO plot us showing. Talk about snow goggles...LOL...to begin with notice how the impulse is weakening as it moves to Phase 7 8 & 1.this is actually serious weakening over the past couple days. Still not sure how you get 77-78 out of this

Anyone know where I can find a real time QBO ( say most recently at about -25 or so and going the wrong way)  index site?

Or are you suppose to wait for the beginning of the next month and get a 30 day average?  I have seen a monthly chart going back to about 1948 but no real time info.

Neg nao that is a serious if not total misread of what that MJO plot us showing. Talk about snow goggles...LOL...to begin with notice how the impulse is weakening as it moves to Phase 7 8 & 1.this is actually serious weakening over the past couple days. Still not sure how you get 77-78 out of this

I am sticking to what I mentioned earlier - 7 - 8 - 1 - COD = snowy cold and alot of folks here including a MET or 2 agree - 1977 -78 the MJO is not a good match BUTthis winter is behaving similar to 77 -78 so far -  I believe we will get at least 2 MECS - maybe a KU ? along the east coast during the time period I mentioned -Jan 23rd through Feb 11 -  you can already see the last few GFS runs hinting at a more active storm track along the coast. AO is going down towards neutral  NAO is going toward neutral and so is the PNA 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index_ensm.shtml

1977 -78 NYC Snowfall

0.2  0.4  20.3  23.0  6.8  T

50.7 Total

I am sticking to what I mentioned earlier - 7 - 8 - 1 - COD = snowy cold and alot of folks here including a MET or 2 agree - 1977 -78 the MJO is not a good match BUT I believe we will get at least 2 MECS - maybe a KU ? along the east coast during the time period I mentioned -Jan 23rd through Feb 11 -  you can already see the last few GFS runs hinting at a more active storm track along the coast. AO is going down towards neutral  NAO is going toward neutral and so is the PNA 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index_ensm.shtml

A bit aggressive, but there is reason for optimism no doubt.

I am sticking to what I mentioned earlier - 7 - 8 - 1 - COD = snowy cold and alot of folks here including a MET or 2 agree - 1977 -78 the MJO is not a good match BUTthis winter is behaving similar to 77 -78 so far -  I believe we will get at least 2 MECS - maybe a KU ? along the east coast during the time period I mentioned -Jan 23rd through Feb 11 -  you can already see the last few GFS runs hinting at a more active storm track along the coast. AO is going down towards neutral  NAO is going toward neutral and so is the PNA 

1977 -78 NYC Snowfall

0.2  0.4  20.3  23.0  6.8  T

50.7 Total

the ao was near record low levels in early February that year and the downward trend started in mid January...So far the ao has been way over what it was in 1978...not to mention the nao being way positive...todays forecast backed off a bit from yesterdays for a negative ao...maybe we can squeak in a February 1994 storm to raise snow totals to near normal...

JB says the QBO is concerning him with regarding to east coast snows...

Relax . He got that from me . And no he did not , He said he missed that in Dec and the first half of Jan .

Will you please sit back and enjoy this pattern . It has sucked here all year and we finally have stuff to track and your still  nuts.

Chill.

Relax . He got that from me . And no he did not , He said he missed that in Dec and the first half of Jan .

Will you please sit back and enjoy this pattern . It has sucked here all year and we finally have stuff to track and your still nuts.

Chill.

give me 6 inches of snow and I will! Lol. Funny, he didn't give you credit in the video!

Will you please sit back and enjoy this pattern . It has sucked here all year and we finally have stuff to track and your still  nuts.

Chill.

Forgive my ignorance, are you the famous "Pauly the blog observer?"  :)

And here's Joe Cioffi's sobering take on the newer model runs . . .

http://www.meteorologistjoecioffi.com/joestradamus.html

IMO, one should resist the temptation to swing wildly from one model run to the next when volatility in the guidance is so high. Staying with the ensembles and any more stable guidance is a better approach during such uncertainty. Just imagine the following scenario:

Sunday-Monday Forecasts for New York City:

Made: 1/16 6 am: Mainly cloudy with a shower or two. (6z GFS forecast: 0.02")

Made: 1/16 12 pm: Rainy and windy. Rainfall amounts will range from 1"-2" (12z GFS forecast: 1.53")

Had one followed the GFS ensembles, ECMWF ensembles, and ECMWF (which have displayed better run-to-run continuity), both forecasts would have been: Rainy and windy. Rainfall in excess of 1" is possible.

I realize that the temptation to swing from model run to model run can be high. But during bad run-to-run continuity, it makes little sense. The same holds true in any probibilistic excercise when the uncertainty is particularly high. It's no surprisie that, for example, the NHC doesn't shift its hurricane tracks substantially from run-to-run. Instead, it makes more modest changes until over time.

And here's Joe Cioffi's sobering take on the newer model runs . . .

http://www.meteorologistjoecioffi.com/joestradamus.html

Just curious of the sentiment up here...his last sentence stated this "the average for those winters is around 19. As of right now it is getting harder and harder to argue against that outcome"

Come mid-March wouldn't 19" be a huge victory from where things stand now?  Or would 19" be just an awful winter which doesn't happen very often for you guys.

IMO, one should resist the temptation to swing wildly from one model run to the next when volatility in the guidance is so high. Staying with the ensembles and any more stable guidance is a better approach during such uncertainty. Just imagine the following scenario:

Sunday-Monday Forecasts for New York City:

Made: 1/16 6 am: Mainly cloudy with a shower or two. (6z GFS forecast: 0.02")

Made: 1/16 12 pm: Rainy and windy. Rainfall amounts will range from 1"-2" (12z GFS forecast: 1.53")

Had one followed the GFS ensembles, ECMWF ensembles, and ECMWF (which have displayed better run-to-run continuity), both forecasts would have been: Rainy and windy. Rainfall in excess of 1" is possible.

I realize that the temptation to swing from model run to model run can be high. But during bad run-to-run continuity, it makes little sense. The same holds true in any probibilistic excercise when the uncertainty is particularly high. It's no surprisie that, for example, the NHC doesn't shift its hurricane tracks substantially from run-to-run. Instead, it makes more modest changes until over time.

I agree with you, but in this winter, things have trended badly for snow-lovers. I'm not surprised the models seem to be swinging in this direction. This winter just stinks.

I agree with you, but in this winter, things have trended badly for snow-lovers. I'm not surprised the models seem to be swinging in this direction. This winter just stinks.

Yeah it stinks but it happens. Mets are gonna take a lot of heat after nearly unanimous agreement on a cold, snowy winter but it'll only make future forecasts better. They will learn from their mistakes as will we.

This winter is what last winter was supposed to be.

This first guess is bad guessing in the NYC metro - DT should know better for instance if southern somerset county NJ is in the 1 -3 inch category northern middlesex above the raritan and points north through NE NJ should be too - or put southern somerset in the 1 inch category..........

https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk/photos/a.148807335166533.25889.129478830432717/806327076081219/?type=1&theater

This first guess is bad guessing in the NYC metro - DT should know better for instance if southern somerset county NJ is in the 1 -3 inch category northern middlesex above the raritan and points north through NE NJ should be too - or put southern somerset in the 1 inch category..........

https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk/photos/a.148807335166533.25889.129478830432717/806327076081219/?type=1&theater

Yeah and his 1-3 is way too far south

Yeah and his 1-3 is way too far south

It will be interesting to see what verfies. Mt Holly NWS is going with almost the entire event as rain. Possible flurries at the end in NNJ.

GFS  & NAM both indicate that NW NJ in my area swithces over to snow at some point. This occurs about 50% of the time and we get a few inches at the end.

Best

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived