• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

JB needs to swallow a little pride and take out the trash.  His vids are becoming unwatchable.  They are the predictable posting of 850 temp anomalies as a way to claim he has been correct about the cold.   We don't live at 5000 feet and we don't care about 850 temp ensembles.  He sounded irritated in todays vid.  He said HE is frustrated with the frustration of his readers.  According to Joe, they/we just don't appreciate or understand what makes a forecast accurate.  Today he said if we all had one good snow under our belts, we would be much more sympathetic towards him.  He is wrong.  It's about a 'perception' that he is 100% responsible for constructing.  If he thinks his readers have a warped perception of his forecasts, that is 100% his fault, not his readers. If I have a customer that had a different expectation than what I delivered, that is MY fault for failing to communicate, not theirs.

Regardless of whether or not an 850 temp anomaly map was nailed or not, regardless of whether or not 10 days late on a cold shot is just a delayed snafu...or as he called it...."I caught the pass but it was out of bounds", (nice excuse), he never once put forth a forecast that hinted in the slightest that we would have a rainstorm into the lakes on xmas and another one on new years...period.  

In fact just a couple of days ago he said the new years storm would not cut to the lakes and that all the folks riding the positive NAO would be proven it's insignificance.   Oops.

You're a good man Joe, you know your sh*t, you're entertaining, but take out the trash, put aside the excuses, stop blaming your readers for failing to comprehend your words, and lastly start talking about the 10 meter forecast, like you did back in the olden days.

Why are you paying for the subscription ? If he sucks so bad save yourself the angst and 20 bucks a month  and cxl . What`s so hard about that .

You realize what a forecast is right ?   It is a  prediction or estimate of future events .

( There are NO GUARANTEES )   When you pay a fee and the service  ( weather or financial ) are not to your satisfaction just CXL. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you paying for the subscription ? If he sucks so bad save yourself the angst and 20 bucks a month  and cxl . What`s so hard about that .

You realize what a forecast is right ?   It is a  prediction or estimate of future events .

( There are NO GUARANTEES )   When you pay a fee and the service  ( weather or financial ) are not to your satisfaction just CXL. 

There's more to the site than just JB.   JD writes a good blog and the maps/models are pretty good.  If it was just JB, I think I would agree with  you more.  He puts alot of premium stuff on twitter, so if it were just him, you could essentially get his thoughts for free

a.) $80 or $100 isn't going to sink me   b.) as I said, jb is entertainment  c.) it's a relatively inexpensive way to a ton of model info  d.) as a paying subscriber, customer, I also get the right to b**ch or throw down my opinion.

so who is making this hard?  any other questions?

Think JB is getting too much flak here. Im a subscriber and do see his forecast is just getting farther from verifying. However, any of you stop to think or actually give credit to someone who actually put his reputation on the line to release a LR winter forecast? He may be wrong but he tried and its not like it has been a complete failure. Furthermore, many other forecasters had something similar saying january and february would be cold and snowy.

a.) $80 or $100 isn't going to sink me   b.) as I said, jb is entertainment  c.) it's a relatively inexpensive way to a ton of model info  d.) as a paying subscriber, customer, I also get the right to b**ch or throw down my opinion.

so who is making this hard?  any other questions?

Bitching is really not an admirable trait , Don`t read the guy if he sucks . Who cares if he missed Dec . Newsflash , he is going to miss again , this way you don`t get your hopes up . 

Bitching is really not an admirable trait , Don`t read the guy if he sucks . Who cares if he missed Dec . Newsflash , he is going to miss again , this way you don`t get your hopes up . 

Who cares if he missed?   I'm sure he does and I'm sure folks that make their livlihood off the weather care just a little bit.

There's more to the site than just JB.   JD writes a good blog and the maps/models are pretty good.  If it was just JB, I think I would agree with  you more.  He puts alot of premium stuff on twitter, so if it were just him, you could essentially get his thoughts for free

Since 2000 I have probably seen him miss 50 x . And that`s probably low  . But I have come to realize when some METS estimate the future solutions of the atmosphere is just someones best estimate .

We know he busts , I am just not sure what the news is here . 

Who cares if he missed?   I'm sure he does and I'm sure folks that make their livlihood off the weather care just a little bit.

If they lose money they will fire him . That happens in the private sector. The difference is you haven`t lost any money it`s just your expectations haven`t been met . 

Think JB is getting too much flak here. Im a subscriber and do see his forecast is just getting farther from verifying. However, any of you stop to think or actually give credit to someone who actually put his reputation on the line to release a LR winter forecast? He may be wrong but he tried and its not like it has been a complete failure. Furthermore, many other forecasters had something similar saying january and february would be cold and snowy.

jb is not an idiot, he knows hype sells so he hypes up every storm possible.  People with common sense know this and dont pay for his crap. You will learn eventually.

if you and some others actually read and comprehend my post, you will understand my beef with JB isn't about missing a forecast.  

if you and some others actually read and comprehend my post, you will understand my beef with JB isn't about missing a forecast.  

Dude , I am right there with you . I feel your frustration . I think this $^& a big ^&* for all of us . JB is notorious for showing you a Dec outlook and then saying well if you add 2 weeks in Jan I was kinda right .

He covers up on the ropes as good as anyone I have ever seen  . My only point was ,  this is not news I have seen him do this since 2000 .

His edges on storms are always too aggressive . He sees cold in almost everything . He crushes the GFS and hates when he gets beat up .He will hold on to an idea way to long and destroys his forecast because of it .

My ONLY point was . That`s who he is and better to cxl than torture yourself  .

Agree, JB has been unwatchable lately with him trying to salvage his forecasts. The arguement of if you take into account the first half of Jan to redeem his Dec forecast was ridiculous. I get it, he is a salesman, most of us got sucked in to his extreme winter forecast back in Oct, it's our own fault for falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Agree, JB has been unwatchable lately with him trying to salvage his forecasts. The arguement of if you take into account the first half of Jan to redeem his Dec forecast was ridiculous. I get it, he is a salesman, most of us got sucked in to his extreme winter forecast back in Oct, it's our own fault for falling for it hook, line and sinker.

I don't think people should be so hard on themselves. Things looked good. Maybe *too* good? I don't know who said it so I can't give the person credit, but long-range forecasting really is a crapshoot. The sample-size that these forecasters use is minuscule in the grand scheme of weather patterns. Fourteen winter seasons out of thousands does not a pattern make. The SAI connection seemed promising, but maybe this is just proof of the statistical adage that correlation does not infer causation.

Then again, maybe we get a crippling blizzard next week and all's forgiven.

That was comical on his site yesterday....

Why are you paying for the subscription ? If he sucks so bad save yourself the angst and 20 bucks a month and cxl . What`s so hard about that .

You realize what a forecast is right ? It is a prediction or estimate of future events .

( There are NO GUARANTEES ) When you pay a fee and the service ( weather or financial ) are not to your satisfaction just CXL.

Jb has sucked for years. Only thing he was good at was reading the weather forecast over the radio In his early years, I recall hearing him on kyw 1060 in philadelphia.

Anyone can look at computer models and call a short term pattern. It takes the village idiot to spend money on reading his garbage or any of the other cost based weather people/companies.

Best.

a.) $80 or $100 isn't going to sink me b.) as I said, jb is entertainment c.) it's a relatively inexpensive way to a ton of model info d.) as a paying subscriber, customer, I also get the right to b**ch or throw down my opinion.

so who is making this hard? any other questions?

You would be better off using this money as a donation to a local charity. Atleast you will know that you are not getting kicked in the nutz every day.

Best.

Outstanding Saturday Summary by JB this morning - anyone who has cancelled winter is going to be wrong IMO.

http://www.weatherbell.com/saturday-summary-january-3-2015

It sounds like he's trying really hard to convince himself and others that we are still going to see a rocking winter. He made a few good points and he always lays things out in such a way that instantly attracts weenies towards him.

He knows how to manipulate data to please his subscribers and I guarantee he will make up something that will justify his forecast if it turns out the opposite of what he expects.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived