Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 27th threat - to be discussed in time, but it should tend to more Miller B

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, if nothing else ... this storm hearkens to the new climate paradigm; at least for me it does. It seems it can't snow at our latitude any more, unless there is fresh arctic air around, almost as a limitation. We are becoming more and more MA like in time/decades.

In the 1960s... this thing would have dumped a foot of spring blue.... In circa 2013, after verified 30 years of unrelenting global temperature rise? You don't get that.

And, it is NOT a storm defined, or caused by climate illogical argument; it's just that nowadays, without the fresh cold, it's like we no longer live in default snow territory. Probably never really fully did at any time over the last 200 or whatever years... but, it certainly was easier 50 years ago than it is now. We have had discussions in the past where this or that above normal isn't necessarily bad for us here because we are so far N - that more than just seems less and less true.

No fresh arctic air, you got deuces in your deck going into systems. I mean where it is snowing it is rotting 33 and torture, and that is true as an insult even in the north country - and it's not even March!

I actually read and reported on a peer reviewed paper for class that suggested (based on 27 new england climo sites) that warming has slowed down from like 1960-2005. That's for another thread though I spose

Welp, if nothing else ... this storm hearkens to the new climate paradigm;  at least for me it does.   It seems it can't snow at our latitude any more, unless there is fresh arctic air around, almost as a limitation.   We are becoming more and more MA like in time/decades.   

In the 1960s... this thing would have dumped a foot of spring blue....  In circa 2013, after verified 30 years of unrelenting global temperature rise?  You don't get that.  

And, it is NOT a storm defined, or caused by climate illogical argument; it's just that nowadays, without the fresh cold, it's like we no longer live in default snow territory.   Probably never really fully did at any time over the last 200 or whatever years... but, it certainly was easier 50 years ago than it is now.   We have had discussions in the past where this or that above normal isn't necessarily bad for us here because we are so far N - that more than just seems less and less true.   

No fresh arctic air, you got deuces in your deck going into systems. I mean where it is snowing it is rotting 33 and torture, and that is true as an insult even in the north country - and it's not even March!  

:lol:  :blink:

:lol:  :blink:

i think you are the only one that got that frustration...  haha.  Part of it's true the - there are lots of evidences that the climate has been shifting up the east coast. 

interestingly, it's flipping back to snow here in Ayer as I type with this last burst.... 

NAM has really been hitting up SE CT with that inverted trough deal tomorrow night the past couple runs. Unfortunately as has already been mentioned by many other...BL will be an issue for lower elevations. I think someone in the hills of NE CT or E MA could see a couple inches out of that.

Hopefully the models have a clue. Something to look forward to later tomorrow into Friday if it pans out. Maybe even enough to flatten a few weak fences

Hopefully the models have a clue. Something to look forward to later tomorrow into Friday if it pans out. Maybe even enough to flatten a few weak fences

Dude, you missed a 1-200yr tree mauler in SE MA during that blizzard. I never thought I would trade 28" of snow to see that...but man I would in a second.

If 1-2" of paste can take out a fence...sure. I'd have a hard time thinking much more than that at this point. But the signal has been there a couple days setting up something anywhere from coastal CT up through MA...although latest trends liking eastern CT. Someone will see something. Unless models stop jumping around the next couple runs, it'll be a Nowcast type of deal.

Welp, if nothing else ... this storm hearkens to the new climate paradigm;  at least for me it does.   It seems it can't snow at our latitude any more, unless there is fresh arctic air around, almost as a limitation.   We are becoming more and more MA like in time/decades.   

In the 1960s... this thing would have dumped a foot of spring blue....  In circa 2013, after verified 30 years of unrelenting global temperature rise?  You don't get that.  

And, it is NOT a storm defined, or caused by climate illogical argument; it's just that nowadays, without the fresh cold, it's like we no longer live in default snow territory.   Probably never really fully did at any time over the last 200 or whatever years... but, it certainly was easier 50 years ago than it is now.   We have had discussions in the past where this or that above normal isn't necessarily bad for us here because we are so far N - that more than just seems less and less true.   

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/news-app/story.79

For your consideration.

Yeah Oct 2011 is what we live for . Truly once in a lifetime. Still in awe over that one

Once in a life time for some.  Barely 6" here during that storm. 

My once in a life time was when I lived outside of Albany and we had a massive snow event just 2 weeks after summer ended.  The October 4th snow bomb of 1987 was something to behold.  We got about 20" or so. I remember living next to I-90 and trekking up to the highway to give people gas and food.  Storm was awesome.  I was 17 at the time.

Once in a life time for some. Barely 6" here during that storm.

My once in a life time was when I lived outside of Albany and we had a massive snow event just 2 weeks after summer ended. The October 4th snow bomb of 1987 was something to behold. We got about 20" or so. I remember living next to I-90 and trekking up to the highway to give people gas and food. Storm was awesome. I was 17 at the time.

You missed out on the Oct 11 fun by 25 miles. It was your Albany storm just in a much larger populated area. Did you have hair in 87?

The thing that surprised me was that it wasn't just tree limbs broke...whole swaths of trees flattened. A true fir flattener.

You should have seen my neighborhood after Octobomb. It looked like a ef1 went through. The whole town was decimated. 16" of paste followed by 6" of powder and wind on leafed trees will do that.

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/news-app/story.79

For your consideration.

yeah i think I read of that study or something like it recently...  Seems we are living it, too -  

Probably not just yet - my jest was more in dark sarcasm though.  Scott's right - a low going as far N as it did into the southern Lakes, with only a rotted polar high that was in the process of weakening as the slug of moisture moved up is probably more causal in why it rained than snowed ;) 

I think it is interesting how much better than NAM did than the the Euro on this thing, though.   

I think it is interesting how much better than NAM did than the the Euro on this thing, though.

4km NAM nailed this event up this way. Yesterday I was getting crap for worrying about it being too warm even in northern VT east of the Spine, and sure enough we haven't accumulated more than a half inch of pure slush below 1000ft.

NAM had 2m temps in mid 30s with mixed rain/snow and that's exactly what happened down at 750ft. Euro would have had me with the same 3-5" of paste the mountain got, down here in town.

Archived