• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 27th threat - to be discussed in time, but it should tend to more Miller B

Typhoon Tip

4km NAM nailed this event up this way. Yesterday I was getting crap for worrying about it being too warm even in northern VT east of the Spine, and sure enough we haven't accumulated more than a half inch of pure slush below 1000ft.

NAM had 2m temps in mid 30s with mixed rain/snow and that's exactly what happened down at 750ft. Euro would have had me with the same 3-5" of paste the mountain got, down here in town.

And this was a narrow depth of warmth that ruined this thing for most... Go look at Mt Washington...the warmest they have been during this event thus far is 18/18, and they are now 14/14.  Just a narrow region of the sounding below 6,000" combined with rotted polar air at the surface just dumped 1.25 to 1.75" of clear qpf -

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this was a narrow depth of warmth that ruined this thing for most... Go look at Mt Washington...the warmest they have been during this event thus far is 18/18, and they are now 14/14.  Just a narrow region of the sounding below 6,000" combined with rotted polar air at the surface just dumped 1.25 to 1.75" of clear qpf -

Topic for another day but I remember so many wet snow events growing up.  They're rare now.  I'm not talking about the freak October snowstorms.  We did have a wet snow bomb for awhile during the Blizzard, and the 4" followup was 8 to 1 ratio, but for the most part it seems very hard to get those 32-34 degree wet snowstorms.  IE, it's 36 and dropping as it mixes and flips at 34 or so and pastes.  I don't think that can be attributed to global warming, but I do think it has something to do with how warm the ocean has been just offshore.  Not just warm at the surface, but warm at depth too.

What is the rest of this event's timeline? I've got to make a run down to PA and back. Trying to determine if tomorrow or Friday is better. Sounds like there is a possibility of some refreezing tonight that will require salt trucks and a bit of something coming in Thursday night or Friday morning that might require a bit more equipment possibly. Is there any agreement for these possibilities? I'm asking about the Westborough to Marlborough area (east and west of 495 just above the Pike).

Topic for another day but I remember so many wet snow events growing up.  They're rare now.  I'm not talking about the freak October snowstorms.  We did have a wet snow bomb for awhile during the Blizzard, and the 4" followup was 8 to 1 ratio, but for the most part it seems very hard to get those 32-34 degree wet snowstorms.  IE, it's 36 and dropping as it mixes and flips at 34 or so and pastes.  I don't think that can be attributed to global warming, but I do think it has something to do with how warm the ocean has been just offshore.  Not just warm at the surface, but warm at depth too.

No one system can be attribute to GW.  But at some point, systems born in a warmer climate do profile in deference to their mediums.  That said, according to http://www.ospo.noaa.gov, the waters E of Logan are in a negative anomaly ;) 

Archived