joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 22/23 - Discussion and Obs for a mixed bag event

MN Transplant

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least for around here a 1028, roughly 30.32 is not a snow eater but rather quite good.Roanoke is in the low 40's, some mild air is going to get pushed in, I do not view having a very solid high as a bad thing.

Roanoke is in the low 40's but we are cold aloft down here-- it will be sleet and snow down here to start. It may be a sleet snow mix that kicks to snow. It is also moving faster than the models showed. May start here by 1 am. 

Still 0.25-0.5 qpf of something down this way. Curious to see what the soundings say again.

Going to be a decent event down here-- would not shocked to see some warnings in the am due to sleet. Sleet profiles till noon-- and then curious to see what happens with the temps rest of the day. 

Going to be a decent event down here-- would not shocked to see some warnings in the am due to sleet. Sleet profiles till noon-- and then curious to see what happens with the temps rest of the day. 

Definitely colder aloft on the 0z NAM out towards LYH through 12hrs. The warm nose is more pronounced on the ROA sounding. Like you said, I'm sorta curious to see how this unfolds.

Definitely colder aloft on the 0z NAM out towards LYH through 12hrs. The warm nose is more pronounced on the ROA sounding. Like you said, I'm sorta curious to see how this unfolds.

It's weird-- we know usually the nam is over done.

Short term mods are MORE south. Maybe I'm drunk, (i'm not) but radar looks great. Could creep in our area by 2-3 am. 

Roanoke is in the low 40's but we are cold aloft down here-- it will be sleet and snow down here to start. It may be a sleet snow mix that kicks to snow. It is also moving faster than the models showed. May start here by 1 am. 

40 IMBY..what do you make of the update to the WWA.. Up to 2 inches of snow and sleet and .2 inches of ice.  Seems like they are hugging the latest NAM on precip amounts. 

40 IMBY..what do you make of the update to the WWA.. Up to 2 inches of snow and sleet and .2 inches of ice.  Seems like they are hugging the latest NAM on precip amounts. 

Not worried about temps-- good dry later from ground up to 700mb-- 

I don't get RNK-- new snow map and all the snow is pushed east. How many times did they issues warnings/ advisories WEST of the BR only to expand it east. 2-3 times and it was needed sooner. 

I know that radar is running into dry air, but like a .half inch to maybe 1.5 of sleet and snow follow by freezing rain. We may get above freezing briefly late PM< but it chill out later. 

northern virginia east of the mts is so damned cursed that we will not even get an advisory. addin' insult to injury is the stark fact that eastern north carolina almost to the outer banks has an advisory for cryin' out loud. thats pretty hard to beat. we're fooked for sure this winter

the reason is this: the rain will hold off until the boundary layer is 33 degrees then we will start off as rain and have plain rain east of the mts.

Therefore, my expectations are as follows - I look forward to drizzle tomorrow then steady rain, possibly heavy at times by early Saturday morning. I expect a half inch of rain with this system. Maybe I will even get a coating of rain on my car top!!!!1!!!1!

this winter sucks so bad it would make a grown man cry.

That's a real broad area of moisture right now in N.GA/WNC.  Let's see if the high can eat a lot of it up. I don't think it can. 28.5*

i'll say this...it's nippy outside, though looking at the radar it looks like we might get the ol' dc splitteroo.

i'm impressed by other people's loyalty for snow on here.  i think i've lost the drive this winter, at least as far as tracking these storms goes.  i'm really surprised at this stretch we've had.  then again, we did have one of the warmest years on record, so maybe we expected that type of overall pattern to change too quickly.  who knows.

LWX disco indicates a big split of the precip. Then the coastal forms, by which time we've warmed up, and we get harmless rainfall through Saturday. The coastal takes off, the rain ends for us, we turn cold, SNE gets more snow.

rinse and repeat, dca weather is so predictable this winter - you dont need a degree. Forecast rain you nail it nearly every time, unless we get nada.

Time sensitive as of 340am Washington time http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full.php

The Split is already in progress. The western part will move NNE missing us to the NNW.

The south part will clip us with a sprinkle; most of it will miss to the south.

While the coastal gets going, the boundary layer will go straight to hell. NWS claims that we will only hit 34 Friday. That's crap. We WILL top 40 degrees without breakin a sweat. Hell even if we did top out at 34 degrees on Friday, we'd still see mostly rain to all regular rain. NO WAY we'd get mix! No way in hell.

You know the rest. Liquid tonight thru Saturday, then 55 degrees on Sunday.

Time sensitive as of 340am Washington time http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full.php

The Split is already in progress. The western part will move NNE missing us to the NNW.

The south part will clip us with a sprinkle; most of it will miss to the south.

While the coastal gets going, the boundary layer will go straight to hell. NWS claims that we will only hit 34 Friday. That's crap. We WILL top 40 degrees without breakin a sweat. Hell even if we did top out at 34 degrees on Friday, we'd still see mostly rain to all regular rain. NO WAY we'd get mix! No way in hell.

You know the rest. Liquid tonight thru Saturday, then 55 degrees on Sunday.

Did we really expect anything different with how this winter has gone? And of course the 06Z NAM doesn't give us any hope as well with it coming in even dryer.

Anyone posting a NAM output from this point forward should be banned.  immediately.

OBS - we had a 30 second sleet shower here, and now is just a drizzle.  30 seconds of frozen and now rain.  Winchester reporting 28F, but that's got to be hogwash.  What little bit of frozen precip we got melted on contact.

Archived