joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 22/23 - Discussion and Obs for a mixed bag event

MN Transplant

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not falling for this.  No way, no how, Lucy.  But damn look at all that blue.  It's mesmerising.

Yeah, we've been screwed a couple of times this year by the NAM in our area.  A CAD signature that holds on that long on the model rarely verifies without a better high.

Not falling for this.  No way, no how, Lucy.  But damn look at all that blue.  It's mesmerising.

We still have a few more runs. You may get purpled. 

RAP is definitely wetter in the tn valley than it was early this morning. RGEM says maybe to heaver precip. NAM is the NAM so it needs some support. Anybody check the latest sref's?

Yeah, we've been screwed a couple of times this year by the NAM in our area.  A CAD signature that holds on that long on the model rarely verifies without a better high.

Idk- a 1032+/- hp in that location is pretty stout. And it's a broad area of hp and not something drifting off the coast as precip approaches. I wouldn't discount the CAD in this particular case. Plus it's cold and dry leading in. It's going in the l-m 20's tonight with low dews. There's a good case for cold temps. 

NAM is trolling us again.

Nam has a .5 stripe through central va. We're getting nam'd again. I wish the nam came out after the gfs. It's much better getting nam'd than gfs'd. 

If the NAM can't be trusted at 18-30 hours, it needs to be discontinued.  What good is it if that's true?

th_giant-burnsauce.gif

Wes, if the NAM is right, isn't that warning criteria?

IF it were all freezing rain, but it's a mix so I'm not sure what the criteria would be.  Heck I'm not even sure what the ptype would be at the start or when the sounding looks sleetish as the temp at the cloud top is pretty warm.....when the cloud top temp at minus 8C you have a 50 precent chance of freezing rain rather than snow even with all temps of the sounding below freezing. Minus 10 you have a better than 50 chance of snow but it still is not a sure bet.  Same holds for sleet.  Ouf course, the NAM could be too dry at the higher levels. 

Idk- a 1032+/- hp in that location is pretty stout. And it's a broad area of hp and not something drifting off the coast as precip approaches. I wouldn't discount the CAD in this particular case. Plus it's cold and dry leading in. It's going in the l-m 20's tonight with low dews. There's a good case for cold temps. 

Amen.  I'm not worried about temps and type.  Precip.  If we get it, we're gonna have fun.  

If I'm wrong, someone can serve my crow on a paper plate.

If the NAM can't be trusted at 18-30 hours, it needs to be discontinued.  What good is it if that's true?

Hey, I agree 100%, but the NAM ALWAYS does this.  It ramps up precip like no other and then it falls in line like 10 hours before an event.  I'm not sure why it's like that.    It's horrible.   And it's cruel, dammit!  

Good point. I guess these are one of those nights everyone will be watching the mercury drop "faster than modeled" and claiming early victory.

Hey, I agree 100%, but the NAM ALWAYS does this.  It ramps up precip like no other and then it falls in line like 10 hours before an event.  I'm not sure why it's like that.    It's horrible.   And it's cruel, dammit!  

I still don't think there's any real scientific data to support those types of claims.

I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong, you're probably right.

This time I'm in bull mode.  I won't accept no until tomorrow about 3:00.

I still don't think there's any real scientific data to support those types of claims.

I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong, you're probably right.

This time I'm in bull mode.  I won't accept no until tomorrow about 3:00.

HPC keeps stats on the models, I just checked them.  For the .25 inch or greater threshold, the one the NAM is predicting, the NAM has a high bias (overpredicts the threshold).  It also loses to both the GFS and at 24hr loses to the EUro and GFS. I suspect the euro beats the nam at 36 hrs but HPC does not verify the euro for the time period but it wins at 24 and 48 hrs so I suspect that it wins at 36 hrs too.  That said, without a low across the carolinas to intercept moisture,  I suspect that the GFS and euro are somewhat too dry but I wouldn't trust the NAM.  If you want to be bullish you can take heart in the fact that it could be right as its scores are so low as to completely discount it.  

HPC keeps stats on the models, I just checked them.  For the .25 inch or greater threshold, the one the NAM is predicting, the NAM has a high bias (overpredicts the threshold).  It also loses to both the GFS and at 24hr loses to the EUro and GFS. I suspect the euro beats the nam at 36 hrs but HPC does not verify the euro for the time period but it wins at 24 and 48 hrs so I suspect that it wins at 36 hrs too.  That said, without a low across the carolinas to intercept moisture,  I suspect that the GFS and euro are somewhat too dry but I wouldn't trust the NAM.  If you want to be bullish you can take heart in the fact that it could be right as its scores are so low as to completely discount it.  

Thanks for the info Wes.  What I don't understand is why that can't be dealt with as part of the program if it is a high bias.  

people still use the nam wrong if they want it to be right on synoptic winter storms outside 24 hours. i'm going to put that on autopost.

Agreed. The good thing is the euphoria only lasts 90 minutes or so until the gfs comes out. I will say this. The NAM got wetter. Wrong on amounts sure but I won't discount the trend. I expect the gfs to follow in the nam footsteps with the trend at least. .2+/- doesn't seem unreachable at all. 

If you extrapolate the midwest radar loop it looks like were gonna get buried though. 

Here's a better look at the nam precip. .40 line through dca. Cut it in half and we're still ok for some fun at least. 

Agreed. The good thing is the euphoria only lasts 90 minutes or so until the gfs comes out. I will say this. The NAM got wetter. Wrong on amounts sure but I won't discount the trend. I expect the gfs to follow in the nam footsteps with the trend at least. .2+/- doesn't seem unreachable at all. 

If you extrapolate the midwest radar loop it looks like were gonna get buried though. 

yeah it might. my over under on .25" from a few days ago might be good.  im so annoyed with winter and people today that i hope we get 1" of ice so it still sucks and everyone loses their power.

yeah it might. my over under on .25" from a few days ago might be good.  im so annoyed with winter and people today that i hope we get 1" of ice so it still sucks and everyone loses their power.

I hope I never see 1" of ice, ever.  The only time I like ice is when we get a thin coating after we have snow on the ground.

Archived