• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 22/23 - Discussion and Obs for a mixed bag event

MN Transplant

He's going to have ice much longer than we will, but I don't think he's going to get much more in the way of snow.  Warm nose is around 700-800mb and CAD can't help that much.  

Prefaced:  NAM numbers

At 24 hours, I'm below freezing at all levels.  At 30, my only level above freezing is 800 and it is 0.9 degrees.  At 36, I'm above at 800 and 850.  I would think I'd get a 12 to 10 hour window of possible snow?  Of course, it doesn't have precip until the last 5 hours or so of that window.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right about Winchester,  they look like sleet more than snow.  The warm layer gets them.  It will be interesting to see if the sounding trend colder there. 

This may seem (be) a stupid question, but at what level does the precip usually start?  And, how warm and how deep does a layer have to be in order to cause snow to convert to sleet/freezing rain?

Prefaced:  NAM numbers

At 24 hours, I'm below freezing at all levels.  At 30, my only level above freezing is 800 and it is 0.9 degrees.  At 36, I'm above at 800 and 850.  I would think I'd get a 12 to 10 hour window of possible snow?  Of course, it doesn't have precip until the last 5 hours or so of that window.

Maybe if you could post the sounding...your hour 30 precip type would depend on the depth of that warm layer.  If it's pretty shallow, you might be able to stay snow (rimed flakes probably), but more likely it's sleet by then.  

This may seem (be) a stupid question, but at what level does the precip usually start?  And, how warm and how deep does a layer have to be in order to cause snow to convert to sleet/freezing rain?

It all has to do with the warm layer and whether it gets above 1C.  Once it does,  you almost always get sleet, when it gets to above 3C, you get rain if you have a nice cold layer that will them supercool the droplet so it freezing on contract.  To get snow in the lowest layer you need the temps to get to lower than -8C if i remember correctly. 

Maybe if you could post the sounding...your hour 30 precip type would depend on the depth of that warm layer.  If it's pretty shallow, you might be able to stay snow (rimed flakes probably), but more likely it's sleet by then.  

I don't have a sounding.  All I have is the text data.  If you know of a place where I could get a sounding for KOKV, I'd appreciate it.  I can barely interpret those things though.  So me having one is mostly a waste.

I don't have a sounding. All I have is the text data. If you know of a place where I could get a sounding for KOKV, I'd appreciate it. I can barely interpret those things though. So me having one is mostly a waste.

Twisterdata.com. Click near you on the map.

An NWS site has a pretty good primer on winter soundings lemme see if I can find itX

It is a colder run than 0z or 6z, but still really dry.  <0.1" of QPF for everyone except CHO and point south/west.  

Edit...and it looks like sleet for just about everyone except at the very start.  Warm nose at 800mb over everyone by 21z tomorrow.  

It dries out so quickly aloft that it could end up as freezing drizzle providing the surface temp is below freezing at 7PM tomorrow. 

Archived