CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 22/23 - Discussion and Obs for a mixed bag event

MN Transplant

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barometer has been reasserting itself for several hours after dropping off a good bit earlier today. If the trajectory and speed of the precip mass remains the same then looks like would be to DC by 4-6am. That will have to be interesting as temps should be in a 25-28 range by then.

Why are you wanting pressure increases? Isn't that what causes the giant slug of precip on the GFS to go poof? Wouldn't we just want high pressure ne of us? All we need are ne winds.

The RGEM is supposedly good.  Why would discussing that be desperate?  

'Supposedly' isn't that strong of an argument. People can use it. I think some get lost in the clutter. For the most part the American models plus Euro and ensembles of all will be more than sufficient for any forecast.

I'm shocked.

I thought you'd be totally stunned.  It just loves to reel people in and then back off.  The mid level and surface ridge are making it tough to get the precip to us.  That's why even if the model is too slow, extrapolating radar is probably not gonna work and would bring stuff in too quick. 

I thought we were talking about an afternoon start time?

These things are often fast at least with some precip of not the heart. I haven't even looked at the NAM yet but seems it would come in on the early side tho some of the precip out front will probably dry out too.

Actually not a bad run down this way. Still easily between .1 and .25,but now I'm worried about temps. What happened to that cold wedge? 2M 0 line now goes up into freaking PA. Unbelievable what this model does from run to run.

Edit: Actually that's just at 21. Snaps right back down at 24 and 27.

My observation also comes in the form of a question.  Looking at the southern section of the mass is interesting becasue satellite shows a good southern connection with clouds sweeping back toward the pacific.  I am wondering if that was, or was not, anticipated.  Right now that is a consolidated area down south and usually when the main low flops over on it's back, like it is doing now in midwest, the southern section of the leading edge erodes. It's not errding and I am wondering about the significance and how it might play out?.

I'm sure somebody will tell me if this observation is bogus. I actually hope they do. By dawn, the NAM has a really good looking sim radar right at my doorstep. It magically goes poof by 15z. It looks like as soon as it hits the 1028 pressure curve modeled by the NAM that that is what does it. ??????. On the 18z run that pressure was lower. Now, using the unisys maps, which I don't even know if they're accurate, the pressure here Is lower here now than its supposed to be by dawn with pressure falls right on my doorstep. Maybe if the pressures in our area are lower than modeled it makes a difference as to how far and how strong the precip stays???????

How many straws did I just pull?

I'm sure somebody will tell me if this observation is bogus. I actually hope they do. By dawn, the NAM has a really good looking sim radar right at my doorstep. It magically goes poof by 15z. It looks like as soon as it hits the 1028 pressure curve modeled by the NAM that that is what does it. ??????. On the 18z run that pressure was lower. Now, using the unisys maps, which I don't even know if they're accurate, the pressure here Is lower here now than its supposed to be by dawn with pressure falls right on my doorstep. Maybe if the pressures in our area are lower than modeled it makes a difference as to how far and how strong the precip stays???????

How many straws did I just pull?

At least for around here a 1028, roughly 30.32 is not a snow eater but rather quite good.Roanoke is in the low 40's, some mild air is going to get pushed in, I do not view having a very solid high as a bad thing.

Archived