wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the winds are strong at all. IMO, they are weak, which is good because when I took a look at some of the pine trees. They weren't covered with snow, they were covered with ice, and their limbs and sagging a lot.

Checked some Davis weather nets out on the east end, had some wind gusts over 50mph

sigh

light snow here.  the lighest possible snow before calling it flurries.

crap winter streak continues

The radar looks like it's filling in pretty well, so the subsidence we've been in should hopefully lift out shortly. 6-8" by morning I'd say, maybe 10" if we stick under good snows for the rest of the night. I'd suggest taking a drive up to Port Jefferson or Huntington if you can tomorrow-absolute crushing up there.

Well, that giant hole in the radar has finally filled in, after an unbearably long wait, as the two systems are finally merging and the NWS is still calling for 5-10" of total snowfall in most of Central/North Jersey, north of a line from about Trenton to Belmar. Hopefully people can see the graphic I pasted below, showing the radar hole filling up.  So it may not end up to be a total bust. Snowing moderately again here in Metuchen and we have about 2.5" of sleet/snow on the gound, plus we had 0.5" of snow this morning, so we have 3.0" for the storm. 

A word of advice: shovel now - I just did and it's heavy and wet, but movable, whereas it will likely freeze into hard cement overnight with lows in the mid-20s. I will say this, though: I feel so much better after having been outside in the gorgeous snow, with the snow falling all around me.  It's just so peaceful, especially at night when nobody else is around.  Kind of eases the angst of worrying about providing people bad info (I have email lists at work and friends/family who I provide info to, kind of translating what the pros say) and, more selfishly, missing out on what looked like it would be a larger snowfall - especially now seeing the insane snowfalls they're getting on LI and CT - reports of 4-5" of snow per hour and thundersnow.  Oh well - there's a reason they get a lot more snow in New England...

shd_None_anim.gif

Archived