joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a big problem right now, that band in Suffolk may need to get out of there in order to allow the western band and the area coming down from PA to get something going otherwise those two will have a tough time getting any sort of party started.

Oh, the party is well underway...its just not particularly mobile at the moment. 

I have been in the subsidence zone next to some tremendous bands during some of the greatest storms of the past decade and I am not feeling at all guilty about tonight.

Eh, I dont know where my southern westchester friends have 7.5"+ I measured more 6" then 7+  had a few 5.5" and as high as 7.2"

so I'd say 6-7" out there right now

Heavy snow at the moment

Agreed. I measured 6" an hour ago, so I'm probably around 7" now. News 12 (Joe Rao) just cut his accumulations and said the max is going to be 10". Don't see how we don't go above that with 6-8 hours of snowfall remaining.

Really odd looking OKX radar presentation over the last 45 minutes or so.  Sort of a global intensity decrease/increase. SNE mentioned as well. Almost like a wave propagated through. Any thoughts? Hallucination?

Yea something strange happened.  The band across NE NJ/Manhattan/Queens seems to be intensifying.

The Great Long Island Sleet Storm/The Blizzard Bust of 2013

...throw rain in there too,craigster..I can't believe its back to HVY

RAIN..anyone notice the radar..this mix/rain comes out of no where..

right over shirley/mastic,manorville and last but least..eastport..what

the heck is going on?? I got 6" of the heaviest snow..tried to shovel

it..NFW!

Agreed. I measured 6" an hour ago, so I'm probably around 7" now. News 12 (Joe Rao) just cut his accumulations and said the max is going to be 10". Don't see how we don't go above that with 6-8 hours of snowfall remaining.

lol yeah, we have 6-7" amounts already, so yeah his 10" call seems a bit low, I think we get 12-15" lollis of maybe 18"

Yep

The meandering rain/snow line is a major clue that the energy transfer is not yet complete to the secondary and thus the precip bands currently over E PA are still in the genesis phase.

Yes, looks like its starting to fill in now. We know what it's like being in those bands while others are screwed. Man Metfan must be getting pummeled now.

Yea something strange happened.  The band across NE NJ/Manhattan/Queens seems to be intensifying.

Actually now I see in the post above yours (1637), the radar depiction shows a similar thing, very unphysical, circularly symmetric change.  Base beam angle changed up/down maybe? Interesting but otherwise irrelevant I suppose. 

...throw rain in there too,craigster..I can't believe its back to HVY

RAIN..anyone notice the radar..this mix/rain comes out of no where..

right over shirley/mastic,manorville and last but least..eastport..what

the heck is going on?? I got 6" of the heaviest snow..tried to shovel

it..NFW!

..just checked NWS forecast discussion..they mentioned cloud to ground

lightning..which is causing "latent heat'..which is adding to p-type issues..

wow..unreal..

Archived