joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TWC lowered amounts here to 3-6" lol....I have a bit over 4 now....definitely in the screw zone as I am right between that heavy stationary band over NYC and the back build from the west that isn't exactly filling in over me with more than light snow. It will fill in but maybe another 3-5" here. Not a big storm to be honest. Pretty disappointing

I'm still getting a good amount of sleet with the snow, lol. Barely even accumulating with about an inch or so total of slop.

Definitely a disaster around here, for sure. People were lined up outside every gas station on Long Island and ran on every grocery store in a panic, for what will turn out to be a perhaps run of the mill plowable event for the south shore. It'll look nice outside for a while but it won't be anything like it could have been had that primary low been just a little weaker and the phase a little sooner.

We're finally mostly snow but damage is definitely done. Currently have an inch or so of slop and sleet. Snow growth still looks wretched, hopefully that gets better. I think we'll be lucky to end up with 8" near the south shore, probably 4-8" I'd say. The rest of this looks like it'll be heavy at times but nothing ridiculous. Last time I ever jump on board any kind of storm that has a primary low get to north of this latitude. I went against my own rule that worked out perfectly when I was in central PA. So close too..., that's what truly sucks. But we were due for an underperformer after all the huge events we've had.

Again, JFK has only had .62" liquid. Unless you think the models completely busted on precipitation, which they probably didn't, you're getting close to another 1" of QPF as snow with good ratios as the deformation band develops. People keep thinking the storm's a bust because it's been precipitating for a lot of hours without much snowfall, but we actually haven't seen that heavy precipitation. Once the deformation band kicks in, everyone scores the snow. 

And you're not far from a winter wonderland. I'm only a couple inches shy of a foot here in Westchester. Snowing heavily with hours to go.

Heavy Heavy snow and 28 here now.  I'll check the total on the board in a few minutes..for now looks like 13" on the snow stake but it isn't well lit enough to be sure.

11.5" total on my calibrated table.  Not measuring with a board since I only really care about the on the ground number, but based on you, William and others surely believe the official measurement would be in the 13"-14" range.  Heavy sticky stuff. Snow continues.

Hi folks, have notposted here before; used to be at accuweather but too many kids there. I'm not a met just like following storms. Am in Colonia NJ, light snow falling, on top of an inch or so of sleet/snow. My years experience tell me this is a bust; shades of march 2001 and Feb 6 2010, which both produced more here. Steve D convinced it will snow heavy, but mentions possibility of subsidence. Really don't like the guy and he busts a lot.

Hi folks, have notposted here before; used to be at accuweather but too many kids there. I'm not a met just like following storms. Am in Colonia NJ, light snow falling, on top of an inch or so of sleet/snow. My years experience tell me this is a bust; shades of march 2001 and Feb 6 2010, which both produced more here. Steve D convinced it will snow heavy, but mentions possibility of subsidence. Really don't like the guy and he busts a lot.

March 01 was more of a bust than this.... Feb 6 2010 was not a bust if one believed the NAM.

Again, JFK has only had .62" liquid. Unless you think the models completely busted on precipitation, which they probably didn't, you're getting close to another 1" of QPF as snow with good ratios as the deformation band develops. People keep thinking the storm's a bust because it's been precipitating for a lot of hours without much snowfall, but we actually haven't seen that heavy precipitation. Once the deformation band kicks in, everyone scores the snow.

And you're not far from a winter wonderland. I'm only a couple inches shy of a foot here in Westchester. Snowing heavily with hours to go.

So when do you see the southern half of LI getting into this band and when will this happen?

So when do you see the southern half if LI getting into this band and when will this happen?

All the stuff that's intensifying over NJ and PA will have to pass through southern LI...there's a lot of embedded 30-35dbz echoes so you're going to see some great snowfall rates as that pushes through. The deformation axis is where you will get your snow from. 

The bolded is what makes this so painful, lol.

But look at where the crazy, very heavy precip is-out over Suffolk and into New England. That is directly associated with the coastal low and will likely stay there. Places on the north shore like Smithtown and Port Jefferson could end up with 2 feet.  But the stuff behind it likely won't be crazy heavy like that-probably heavy for a time but it won't have dynamics even near what's NE of us. The phase is going to be too late and the primary was too strong and puked up too much warm air. Like I said, there will still be half foot or so amounts where there's little now but nothing crazy like they're having east of here. I would be (pleasantly) stunned if anyone who hasn't gotten much snow yet ends up with over 10".

March 01 was more of a bust than this.... Feb 6 2010 was not a bust if one believed the NAM.

I actually had more precip IMBY in March 01 than i have now; Feb 2010 some mets like Larry Cosgrove ( I could be wrong here ) had me down for 8-12. I had 3; each town south of me the totals kept going up. Anyway, nothingmuch is happening here except light snow; would like to get to 6 but doubt it. Hope to be pleasantly surprised. And love the discourse here compared to the nonsense elsewhere.

The bolded is what makes this so painful, lol.

But look at where the crazy, very heavy precip is-out over Suffolk and into New England. That is directly associated with the coastal low and will likely stay there. Places on the north shore like Smithtown and Port Jefferson could end up with 2 feet.  But the stuff behind it likely won't be crazy heavy like that-probably heavy for a time but it won't have dynamics even near what's NE of us. The phase is going to be too late and the primary was too strong and puked up too much warm air. Like I said, there will still be half foot or so amounts where there's little now but nothing crazy like they're having east of here. I would be (pleasantly) stunned if anyone who hasn't gotten much snow yet ends up with over 10".

When are you going to get out of Long Beach, man? You're too much of a weenie to live in such a horrible spot for snow; I average almost double what you do and we're like 45 minutes' drive from each other. I have been thinking about moving to Brooklyn since my work is there, and probably will, but can't stand losing almost 400' of elevation north of the City in a wooded area. 

I think you'll get around 10" anyway, or at the very least 8". I should get in the 15-18" category when all is said and done, and that's what I expected for the most part. 

When are you going to get out of Long Beach, man? You're too much of a weenie to live in such a horrible spot for snow; I average almost double what you do and we're like 45 minutes' drive from each other. I have been thinking about moving to Brooklyn since my work is there, and probably will, but can't stand losing almost 400' of elevation north of the City in a wooded area. 

I think you'll get around 10" anyway, or at the very least 8". I should get in the 15-18" category when all is said and done, and that's what I expected for the most part. 

I work within the oil and gas sector, so if I make a major move anytime soon it could be to Houston, lol.

We've had some very big snow hits here too in the last few years, so we were overdue. And the risk from this was always very high anyway. 6 or 8" outside will still look very nice tomorrow, and I guess I won't have to worry about killing my back shoveling. :thumbsup:

Archived