CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that giant hole in the radar has finally filled in, after an unbearably long wait, as the two systems are finally merging and the NWS is still calling for 5-10" of total snowfall in most of Central/North Jersey, north of a line from about Trenton to Belmar. Hopefully people can see the graphic I pasted below, showing the radar hole filling up.  So it may not end up to be a total bust. Snowing moderately again here in Metuchen and we have about 2.5" of sleet/snow on the gound, plus we had 0.5" of snow this morning, so we have 3.0" for the storm. 

A word of advice: shovel now - I just did and it's heavy and wet, but movable, whereas it will likely freeze into hard cement overnight with lows in the mid-20s. I will say this, though: I feel so much better after having been outside in the gorgeous snow, with the snow falling all around me.  It's just so peaceful, especially at night when nobody else is around.  Kind of eases the angst of worrying about providing people bad info (I have email lists at work and friends/family who I provide info to, kind of translating what the pros say) and, more selfishly, missing out on what looked like it would be a larger snowfall - especially now seeing the insane snowfalls they're getting on LI and CT - reports of 4-5" of snow per hour and thundersnow.  Oh well - there's a reason they get a lot more snow in New England...

shd_None_anim.gif

yes it was really peaceful chasing my little girl's escaped poodle down rte 35 in my slippers and pajamas with no coat on :) what do you think for our area/ In Feb 10 i think Metuchen eked out 6 while i had 3 over here. it just isn't piling up over here. it is snowing tho.

The radar looks like it's filling in pretty well, so the subsidence we've been in should hopefully lift out shortly. 6-8" by morning I'd say, maybe 10" if we stick under good snows for the rest of the night. I'd suggest taking a drive up to Port Jefferson or Huntington if you can tomorrow-absolute crushing up there.

I'd strongly discourage that. Let the snow plows do their work first through Saturday, then pay a visit--it isn't going anywhere until temps rise above 40 on Monday.

Well, that giant hole in the radar has finally filled in, after an unbearably long wait, as the two systems are finally merging and the NWS is still calling for 5-10" of total snowfall in most of Central/North Jersey, north of a line from about Trenton to Belmar. Hopefully people can see the graphic I pasted below, showing the radar hole filling up.  So it may not end up to be a total bust. Snowing moderately again here in Metuchen and we have about 2.5" of sleet/snow on the gound, plus we had 0.5" of snow this morning, so we have 3.0" for the storm. 

A word of advice: shovel now - I just did and it's heavy and wet, but movable, whereas it will likely freeze into hard cement overnight with lows in the mid-20s. I will say this, though: I feel so much better after having been outside in the gorgeous snow, with the snow falling all around me.  It's just so peaceful, especially at night when nobody else is around.  Kind of eases the angst of worrying about providing people bad info (I have email lists at work and friends/family who I provide info to, kind of translating what the pros say) and, more selfishly, missing out on what looked like it would be a larger snowfall - especially now seeing the insane snowfalls they're getting on LI and CT - reports of 4-5" of snow per hour and thundersnow.  Oh well - there's a reason they get a lot more snow in New England...

shd_None_anim.gif

Actually I think CT/RI is overdue for jackpotting a storm. Recent winters have seen NJ hitting the jackpot quite a bit from 2009 - 2011.

TWC calling for only 4-8 for the city now. I'm sorry but after last night's hype, that's ridiculous. this would mean many parts of the area saw more snow than this on Nov 7. it is snowing but not hard here in Colonia. I've thrown in the towel for anything significant outta this one ( under 6 is not significant IMHO ) There'll be another storm and the lesson to me is a Boston storm ain't a NJ storm.

I'd strongly discourage that. Let the snow plows do their work first through Saturday, then pay a visit--it isn't going anywhere until temps rise above 40 on Monday.

Had to go on a fire call earlier...roads around this area are in bad shape. Rate of snowfall and the sleet mixed in at times has left them really treacherous. Good advice...

I'm by the college dumping here. I'm plowing because I have lots I can't let 6 inches of wet build up

ah I got you....I will catch zzzzzzzzzzz now...I expect about 4-5 inches to plow and maybe go out about 4 AM but going to wait until everything is over. All our commercial lots are not open tomorrow so no rush to get them done.

You're probably using mobile because my location is seen on a computer... Anyway it's Holbrook about 2 miles away from KISP.. :)

Anyway just eyeballing but we're probably closing in on 10 inches...

Since the sleet fest ended (at which time I had 4") It has been snowing to beat the band. Whiteout at times. I would say up to 7-8 inches now. Nice not to hear that damn pinging on the windows!  :snowing:

So, TWC downplays storm to nuisance event for NYC on south, but Steve D still going on like this is a big snowstorm for most of NJ. One of them is wrong. I think it is Steve....he keeps talkingheavy bands, but I cannot get one going here in central NJ no way no how. This is just moderate to light snow.i respect a met who changes with new info; this guy Steve D will not lower his amts, even though by now it is fairly obvious the storm has underperformed for this area. And people pay him?

Archived