joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I end up with that much I would be very surprised.  Only 4.25 here so far.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  

Are you clearing your snowboard every 6 hours and measuring on a cold surface? Your measurements always seem way low.

Snowlover in Bronxville and I have been measuring storms in Westchester for years, and we're typically in close agreement and in agreement with the spotter reports. I am rarely more than .5" off from the spotter reports for the Rivertowns. I think you are undermeasuring, or getting very unlucky.

I probably have just under 10" now...

Eh, I dont know where my southern westchester friends have 7.5"+ I measured more 6" then 7+  had a few 5.5" and as high as 7.2"

so I'd say 6-7" out there right now

Heavy snow at the moment

You are probably getting a little less than here because the storm was marginal to begin with. Bronxville is right near the LI Sound, whereas Dobbs Ferry is inland. I also have 350' elevation and a bit of latitude on you. It makes sense that I'd have 1.5" or so more than you. And you know I measure conservatively because you've seen that in the majority of storms and seasons, you measure greater totals than I do even though my climo is a bit snowier.

Been pouring snow here, very impressive outside. Side streets are nearly impassable in the hillier areas like my neighborhood. 

Pingers with snow mixed. But looks I'll be between the coastal and TTN ray's parents band. What do you think?

I think you'll have at least 6-7 hours of healthy snowfall rates there. I'd be surprised if you finish with less than 6". Probably 6-10" for there would be my estimate. The back edge won't come through until late overnight.

It has been terrible in north central Queens so far (not too far from lga).  Sleet keeps mixing in periodically and the steady and sometimes heavy snow just isn't accumulating.  The snow ratios must be really bad.  I have just under 2 inches here.  Every storm has underperformed here.  Even the November storm, which gave manhattan a solid 4 inches of snow only gave my area a slushy, melting 2 inches.  It is really frustrating to see all these borderline events particularly when places not too far do really well.  

Archived