wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Feb 8th-9th Potential Blizzard

dryslot

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably going to have to keep an eye on that.  Short range models are sniffing out that feature really well

I'm not really concerned about it here. I'd be more concerned about subsidence between mesoscale bands... but that's going to be next to impossible to pin down. 

Keep in mind too that not only does the NAM seem a shade warm...its still probably a bit too amped even though it trended east. Its still more amped than the SREFs.

Share the wealth man.  We're suffering this winter out here in ENY, WNE too :P

I agree that the NAM probably drives the SLP too far NW (like a few of the SREF members).  But the Euro starts out pretty similar along the mid-Atl coast before pulling more NE towards the benchmark.  With a miller B setup of this type, I would favor the benchmark track over something more closely tucked.  But there will likely be a secondary max on the NW flank with enhancement from the northern stream trof.  I just don't think it will be as far NW or as wet as the last two NAM runs.  Either way, the southeastern 5/6ths of SNE looks to be crushed.

The NAM's Sim Radar has that death band way too far NW. It Would be Another Western SNE special. This is Our Storm.

Wow!  That looks like 2/23/09 on steroids.  That one dumped 9" in 2:45 and 24.5" overall.  Would be very nice if the death band were that far NW, but I think the coastal areas or immediately inland have a better chance.

I'm not really concerned about it here. I'd be more concerned about subsidence between mesoscale bands... but that's going to be next to impossible to pin down. 

Yeah...there will prob be some shadowing, esp north into the CEF area, but its a relative min and not a total stinkbomb like Boxing day or something. The amount of moisture is just staggering so I don't think anyone needs to worry too much. Heck, they might overcome any shadowing anyway if they get stuck under mid-level deformation. Winds should also go north by maybe 09z during the storm which shuts off any real downsloping component.

you want more signs of banding in W SNE.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/4kmwrf/

go to total precip.   W MA (esp berks)  down thru all of W CT 2.5 to 3.5 qpf (N to S) and 2.5+   128  area   including area S down to E RI . qpf max of 4-5 in brockton to all of plymouth counties.  still has 2.0 for ORH and central CT valley shows signs of screw job as well as CON-MHT area in snh

the less detailed 12km run show'd significantly less precip for W SNE and and areas outside SE Mass /capecod /S ri /

but i think 4km is where banding would show up anyway.

With every run today, I see it and say weenie solution, this is the best run ever! Than the next model comes out and I do it all over again. Pretty crazy that I could be seeing and most likely will see 18-24"+ from a storm that a few days ago was a cold rain for me...

-skisheep

someone please be straight with me...i have seen that finger of shadowing on so many models..i have lived the dissapointment so many times..what do you think realistically i can expect here..

i realize there could be meso banding with high ratios if i get lucky but assuming 10 or 12 to 1 ratios, what is the thinking for the lower ct valley??

Yeah...there will prob be some shadowing, esp north into the CEF area, but its a relative min and not a total stinkbomb like Boxing day or something. The amount of moisture is just staggering so I don't think anyone needs to worry too much. Heck, they might overcome any shadowing anyway if they get stuck under mid-level deformation. Winds should also go north by maybe 09z during the storm which shuts off any real downsloping component.

Yeah winds should be north for the bulk of the storm here so we'll be OK. Up north in Mass it will be a bit different I'm sure.

The storms that stall to our south are when I worry about downsloping.

ALY WSWarning for entire area, except Blizzard Warning for Litchfield County. BTV WSWarning for most of the area, advisory(4-8") for champlain valley and far northern vermont. Their warning criteria is 9" I think, and they usually hold off on warnings unless it's going to be the real deal.

-skisheep

Archived