northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb 8th-9th Potential Significant Coastal Storm

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man that's a flag pole right there. I agree...would think after euro, it may be time to think about prolific numbers.

Nah. Still 24 hours for wiggle.

Keep it cool. Keep it calm.

Keep that friggin 0º C iso south of my backyard and keep the dry slot nonexistent.

Hurricane force winds for Cape Cod, MA 18" total accumulations, heavy rains, trees falling down everywhere.  However I find it hard to believe that we will get a lot of rain considering the comma head comes right over us for a while and plus storm takes a BM track which will benefit a lot with temps.  Also an earlier phase will allow a colder solution for coastal New England.

Hurricane force winds for Cape Cod, MA 18" total accumulations, heavy rains, trees falling down everywhere. However I find it hard to believe that we will get a lot of rain considering the comma head comes right over us for a while and plus storm takes a BM track which will benefit a lot with temps. Also an earlier phase will allow a colder solution for coastal New England.

You don't have to say cape cod ma every time you post. We know where you are.

THe QPF from the GFS is just as crazy, if not, even more impressive than the NAM.  That you don't see too often.

Its almost not fathomable, But you see almost all the models spitting out these totals, This would have to be an epic falure at this point if it would not happen

Oh my god on the GFS....what a ridiculous bomb

The only thing that could make a solution like that any better for the storm-heads is if it slowed down.  The GFS is still sling-shotting it seaward with a good bit or rapidity.  I think though that it may be a bit on the fast side of the envelope, and owing to its native progressivity bias ... it may not be the right tool for the job in this case. 

We discussed how the GFS might resurface with its fast bias, once the flow slowed a little.   

Anyway, I just passed over the entire evolution of the mid level impulse(s) starting at the 0 hour and going out to 84 on the 12z NAM;  it's fascinating, but between now and 12 hours from now, there is almost 0 indication/observation in the run that there is even a S/W present in the flow - much less any feature capable of that kind of horror. Yet, as you click into 30 and 48 hours ...etc, it just seems to emerge out of no where, getting sharper and sharper, then, a weak southern stream 500mb "dent" (for lack of better word) whips around the eastern flank of the trough as it nears the upper MA, around 60 to 66 hours and booom!   It cores out a 4 contoured hole in the atmosphere just absolutely in the perfect idealized location relative to SNE. 

Now seeing the GFS do the same thing, albeit faster to complete the deed, and considering the Euro's recent consistencies with this, the confidence has gotten high for a higher ...if not severe impact event.  

I am also concerned about the New Moon and if there is a spring tide associated..

Wind:  That kind of rapid cyclogen in differential to a 1035'ish MB polar high parked quintessentially perfect for imposing a very steep gradient should bring a wind hammer.  Not so much in the interior, but if a CF sets up, anywhere on the oceanic side is likely to damaging gusts.  One saving chance is that often rapid deepeners will pull the wind vector into cross isobaric flow, and that nuance about this system, if so, may mean less velocity with more backed streamlines.  

QPF:   no words!  It's hard to imagine that deep layer evolution can take place that way with out lighting and thunder, and it forces one to ponder if the big giant choking numbers are in fact thunderstorm output in a snowing column.   Frontogenic forcing has got to be ludicrous here - 

Meso:  Deformation,  frontogenic meso band with convective output,  flop-side CF are all likely to produce embedded local maxes and it is virtually impossible to know where those band will align.  Anywhere in between still gets pummeled here...  This type of layout is one where for at least one interval 3 to perhaps 6 hours, the rad presentation is quite uniform.  Top tier scenarios do that.    But I suspect the GFS is too fast to propagate the deep layer vortex eastward when it closes and captures the sfc system; typically this physical process will compensate for the background motion for at least a time as the sfc low can even stall and move NW for an hour or two.  Just about as that is ending is when the rad may part into banded features that are rocking and rolling.  

Its almost not fathomable, But you see almost all the models spitting out these totals, This would have to be an epic falure at this point if it would not happen

I would still think both are overdone but the question is to what degree?  At this point it would be hard to think less than 1.5'' of QPF falling and that alone still would give substantial totals and would create a major mess, especially if the snow is wet.  

Archived