Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb 8th-9th Potential Significant Coastal Storm

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm reminds me a lot of Feb 14 2007, but 100-200 mi further east:

* Feb 2007 was the first significant snowstorm of the season, occurring mid-Feb after an otherwise snow-starved season

* NAO is near neutral for both storms, with an AO<0 but not significantly so

* Primary 850 mb low over southern Ontario / western NY state, eventually becoming overtaken by a secondary that forms over the Mid-Atlantic

* Overall dominant northern-stream, but significant moisture source to the south

* Cold high pressure over the Great Plains

* Troughy over the SW U.S.

Compare the upper-air pattern for Feb 2007 to the 54 h GFS forecast (especially at 850):

Feb 2007 NARR:

07_0214.png.gif

12Z GFS 54h:

gfs_f54.gif

The most memorable thing about Feb 2007 for me was that I was in Albany at the time, and it was the day before the storm was the only time I had ever seen the NAM spit out >4" qpf of snow for KALB. GFS had something like 2/2.5" qpf snow, but in both models, Albany on north was expected to be in the jackpot.

However, the strength of the primary over the Great Lakes was underestimated in all the guidance, even as the storm was beginning to unfold. Stronger WAA ahead of the primary resulted in a period of sleet over the Capital Region, reducing snowfall amounts. Just slightly further west, stronger deformation along a more impressive moist tongue in the region where the entire column remained below freezing resulted in 4-6" /hr all snow.

Accumulation map shows a large area > 30", but west of all the guidance 24-48 hr before the event:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/Past/2007/Feb_14_2007/SnowMap.jpg

Clearly this is a different synoptic setup than 2007, but with the eerie similarities, I would not be surprised to see eastern MA / RI getting more sleet than currently modeled, with the "jackpot" shifting further west with time. Especially w.r.t. today's 12Z NAM.

thaks for the great insight, good stuff

I'm not blaming anyone, John...just didn't want to take the time to go back 25 pages!! Sorry to imply that. Have LOTS to do today to get ready (and I'm shocked I haven't got a call...yet...).

That's a very good point. That's a natural thought when thinking of stalling (which I didn't take the logical step...glad you did!! :) ). However, lots more development along the coast, so could still be bad. Could be two tide cycles?? (For those that don't recall...'78 had FOUR tide cycles with continuous flooding.)

--Turtle

Yeah, and it should be made clear that this system really isn't a very good analog for 1978, though the ending impact in snow could rival that if the current modeling is good.  One difference about the 1978 scenario is that the NAO teleconnector was dropping, and that allowed the stall to linger for a couple of reasons (for the general reader):

1) storms that "stall" because of capture, will tend to compensate/off-set for the background movement in the flow, because the sfc cyclone moves backward relative to the movement of the deep layer vortex, as it is being ingested into the central axis of the rotation.   This is registered as a slowling, or even stall ..however brief.

2) in 1978, that took place with panache, but also ... the large scale flow was entering a blocking phase, placing a negative teleconnection right where the storm was passing through. 

The two circumstances together really caused a protracted event. ...and the impact on the ocean/shore thus suffered.   

In this case, we have more number 1, than number 2 in play. 

I am just blown away from this morning's model runs for snow totals...Severe Epic snow event upcoming for New England...I saw snow totals like this back in the 70's but folks..this is just outright insane for what we will be seeing unfold across the region Friday and into the weekend...who would of thought this was going to happen...coming out of almost a benign winter and BAM!

Clearly historical in all respects.

http://northeastweathereye.com

Augusta Maine

Craig

What do you think Sugarloaf will get out of this? Thanks Craig.

Book a hotel in Norwood, MA.  Head up to the top of Blue Hills.

I think I'm finally going to buy some snowshoes after work today.  The Blue Hills should be awesome this weekend for snowshoeing, and I can walk there if the roads are impassable!  Hard to believe the model agreement at this point - I never thought I'd see anything like the amount of snow in 78, but who knows.

Archived