joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're already at a half inch of snow accumulation in West Knoxville. Downtown has gotten more than my house it looks like.

Check the webcams:

http://ww2.tdot.state.tn.us/tsw/smartmap.htm?city=Knoxville

Is there much of an altitude difference from the southwest side of town to the northeast? The contrast on those web cams is pretty stark. 

Is there much of an altitude difference from the southwest side of town to the northeast? The contrast on those web cams is pretty stark. 

Nope. The Interstate pretty much parallels the TN River so it doesn't gain elevation until you get into Strawberry Plains and Dandridge. Knoxville just happens to be just inside the heavier precip. My house is like 3 miles inside the band so I'm very lucky today. If I lived at my old place in Farragut I would have been screwed.

Temp is dropping where I am in north Raleigh. 44 now and rain.

Good deal.  Looks like the rain is starting to pick up a bit.  Radar is filling in nicely back west.  Still misty and 49 at my house.  You're in a good position for this one.  I hope you get under one of the heavy bands later on.

Approaching an inch in Knoxville. Traffic downtown is horribly congested. TDOT may have dropped the ball on this as the roads don't look as if they were brined.

They don't brine roads when it's going to be rain changing to snow because the rain just washes away the brine before the first flake falls. They haven't brined any roads here either.

Archived