joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 27/28 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pickles, it's. the winds. If they can stay more north, even mid level taint could be tolerated. Those are things impossible to predict this far out.

i think they are impossible to know, but i don't like the odds of staying NNE , esp at logan. i don't like them at all.

xmas storm should be nice, that i'm getting pretty excited about

i think they are impossible to know, but i don't like the odds of staying NNE , esp at logan. i don't like them at all.

xmas storm should be nice, that i'm getting pretty excited about

Yeah one at a time. And the first one is snow. Euro tonight is 3-6 for BOS 12/25 and I'd run with that in a heartbeat.

Looks like it tracks it over the Cape this run. The interior would stay all or mostly frozen...with some sleet/ZR taint at the warmest point....but regardless, a big time winter storm on this run. Even BOS gets hit pretty hard on the front end.

Still a long ways to go in this though.

How is it generally between 84 and the Pike Will? A good amount of IP?

06z GEFS look to be right near the BM, but decent amount of spread. Pretty good consensus right now from Chatham to the BM for 5 days out. Plenty of time for wiggle room either way.

The GEFS seem to have the better confluence with a lobe of vorticity that stretches from a deeper long wave trough exiting NewFoundland, to a s/w trough north of Lake Superior. It's definitely not a classic look, but it helps. try to keep the heights from going through the roof, ahead of the s/w in the southeast.

post-33-0-45059000-1356174718_thumb.gif

Euro ensembles don't show this as much ans track closer to CC.

If this misses here to the SE... I really hope you get crushed. I'd gladly pass one up for the coastal MA folks... but wouldn't like it as much if it was just another East Slope/Berks jackpot, lol.

I still think the GEFS have been too far se, but the euro ensembles have gone slightly se too. Still 5 days left which is a long time for shifts 50 miles or so either way.

If this misses here to the SE... I really hope you get crushed. I'd gladly pass one up for the coastal MA folks... but wouldn't like it as much if it was just another East Slope/Berks jackpot, lol.

I don't think you have to worry about getting shutout yet. Almost every model hits you with near warning criteria. The key with the sfc track is for Scott staying more northerly and frozen.

Sort of an under-the-radar story line over the last week is that the operational GFS is precariously close to having taken the operational Euro out behind the woodshed regarding the 27th-28th scenario. Details aside ... it's general synoptic canvas featuring the more eastward track and midland intensity were facets the Euro took the last 4 days to come around to, and the GFS never really wavered (significantly enough) during that same time span.

I find that interesting, if not something to keep in mind as we head deeper into an active pattern thereafter. I believe the GFS won the D6-8 interval at one other time earlier this season - or at least performed better, too. It's all enough to state factually that we cannot dismiss the GFS over the Euro.

The PNA is very tightly clustered over at CPC, to rise from -1 to +1 SD over this next week - and in fact, this is yet again (twice now this season - let's see if this one comes to fruition!) a H. Archambault system. The CDC also agrees with the PNA rise, so perhaps the multi-agency support lends some additional credence here. With every model there is and their cast of ensembles more than less supporting, perhaps that is a foregone conclusion.

The sweetest eye-candy was obviously the 00z GGEM for the last 12 hours of runs. It looks like a solid 20 hours of moderate to heavy snow, along with moderate wind impacts, from 126 hours through a 146 hours, then another 9 to 12 hours of wrap around waning. But I'm sure this has been covered.

After all this, the teleconnectors are intriguing. The PNA is supported by the CPC and CDC to remain above 0.0 SD and in fact gain some D10-14 at CPC. While that is happening the -NAO at both the CPC and CDC goes on hiatus. Well clustered CPC members has it rising to +1 and change SD over the next week, while the erstwhile PNA and Pacific pattern is entering a new era (so to speak). The NAO then re-commits to the "apparent" seasonal bias by plummeting in the extended; but the intriguing part is that the PNA remains positive as said. That all offers an interesting window for cold/storminess during the first week to 10 days of January, for different governing reasons than just the PNA. Stay tuned!

Sort of an under-the-radar story line over the last week is that the operational GFS is precariously close to having taken the operational Euro out behind the woodshed regarding the 27th-28th scenario. Details aside ... it's general synoptic canvas featuring the more eastward track and midland intensity were facets the Euro took the last 4 days to come around to, and the GFS never really wavered (significantly enough) during that same time span.

I find that interesting, if not something to keep in mind as we head deeper into an active pattern thereafter. I believe the GFS won the D6-8 interval at one other time earlier this season - or at least performed better, too. It's all enough to state factually that we cannot dismiss the GFS over the Euro.

Agreed on that, John.

-sn 27.5/21

Archived