• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 27/28 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

I'll be dammed. Pretty cool..I've played around with CSTAR before, but never saw this. Good write up as usual.

Thanks man! Yeah, I just found this site a few months ago, and have been playing around with it. Really interesting stuff, that ensemble analysts have been discussing subjectively for a while, but I haven't seen these objective products until now

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<weenie fodder>

For those of you who like to dig for a big storm to draw an analog to ...

If you squint your eyes and tilt your head a little, the GFS isn't terribly far from something of the likes of December 2003 or even March 2001 ... focus on that lobe of vorticity over eastern Ontario just itching to subsume into the trough.

</weenie fodder>

Thanks man! Yeah, I just found this site a few months ago, and have been playing around with it. Really interesting stuff, that ensemble analysts have been discussing subjectively for a while, but I haven't seen these objective products until now

I definitely have to go through the literature to learn how to interpret those graphics, but a real cool site. You've done some A+ stuff lately.

<weenie fodder>

For those of you who like to dig for a big storm to draw an analog to ...

If you squint your eyes and tilt your head a little, the GFS isn't terribly far from something of the likes of December 2003 or even March 2001 ... focus on that lobe of vorticity over eastern Ontario just itching to subsume into the trough.

</weenie fodder>

Oh no you didn't. I thought the same thing when I saw that lobe just wanting to come south..lol. That vort lobe is a key factor in more ways than one...not just with confluence..but could inject some energy into this.

I don't mean to pick on you but I've seen a lot of these types of comments today and they just aren't true. Yes, Wednesday had a "Lakes Cutter" track but it was essentially the known bias at that range of the op. The ensembles were over the coastal plain and showed that Tuesday as well as yesterday. There has hardly been a crazy trend east in the euro suite or the ensemble mean.

The only legitimate trend has been across the Pacific, where the next trough has of course sped up since Tuesday and weakened the western ridge. On the day of the Lakes Cutter, the OP ECMWF was a clear outlier and sharpest with this feature. Overtime, it became broader and has held the course. Basically, my point is: there may not be a legitimate trend east, just a bias-correction in the operational.

Go ahead an pick on me all you want. In my opinion when a more experienced met picks on me it is a learning experience. And every learning experience is valuable.

But in my defense as a grad student who is not working in the field of meteorology with very limited time on my hands. With a threat that is beyond day 5 I really only have the chance to look at the position of the system and not much else. So when I saw the system's position start in Chicago and make it's way to NYC over the course of a couple days. I saw this as a trend.

Honestly though. Thank you for pointing this out. I mean this sincerely. Every little tip I can pick up is appreciated. And you guys and gals with more experience than the young pup such as myself "picking" on me is a good thing.

Go ahead an pick on me all you want. In my opinion when a more experienced met picks on me it is a learning experience. And every learning experience is valuable.

But in my defense as a grad student who is not working in the field of meteorology with very limited time on my hands. With a threat that is beyond day 5 I really only have the chance to look at the position of the system and not much else. So when I saw the system's position start in Chicago and make it's way to NYC over the course of a couple days. I saw this as a trend.

Honestly though. Thank you for pointing this out. I mean this sincerely. Every little tip I can pick up is appreciated. And you guys and gals with more experience than the young pup such as myself "picking" on me is a good thing.

He's a bully.

In all honesty, that's the beauty of this board. Most of our learning is in the field. I feel like despite the competive nature of the field with so many trying to find jobs, the common bond we all have is the yearning to learn more....an inexact science will do that. With so many mets having their little areas of expertise, you can't beat this board as far as learning goes.

Oh no you didn't. I thought the same thing when I saw that lobe just wanting to come south..lol. That vort lobe is a key factor in more ways than one...not just with confluence..but could inject some energy into this.

:lol: yeah I wasn't sure if I really wanted to post that, but I figured why not have a little fun lol

Archived