• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Looking towards the beginning of December

CoastalWx

It is a shame it has to warm up early this week and knock the snow out of the trees. The sheltered (wind-free) forests at elevation are just beautiful. So peaceful to wander through this stuff....can't believe I was doubting November only to end up with 21" in the past week and 35" for the month at the ski resort.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a shame it has to warm up early this week and knock the snow out of the trees. The sheltered (wind-free) forests at elevation are just beautiful. So peaceful to wander through this stuff....can't believe I was doubting November only to end up with 21" in the past week and 35" for the month at the ski resort.

How much at the Stowe resort itself at base level?

Nice, taken off the Stowe website substantially above the 5 year average

Nov 22-30 Base 27 F Summit 32 F new snow 16" percent open 12 miles 5 base 6"-26"

Today

Season Total: 35"

• Base: 19°F
  • Summit: 17°F
  • Trails Open: 38

20" - 36"

No... that lift/line is the one called Minuteman. It is a high speed quad that services Ralph's, Challenger, etc.

The new lift is the Monadnock, on the left side of the mountain as you face it. It services the beginner areas like Indian Summer...

Here it is a few minutes ago

Thanks. Just waiting on my daughters skis to come in...tick tock tick tock I want to go skiing but she'll hang me if I go without her.

Euro ensembles not as enthusiastic as last night ont he +PNA out beyond D10. It does try to get the NAO negative near the end which keeps us cold enough for threats...but you can tell the spread is huge overlal on these runs since even in the PNA region there's little oscillations and almost split flow looking type height isopleths.

GEFS were much more gung ho.

Euro ensembles not as enthusiastic as last night ont he +PNA out beyond D10. It does try to get the NAO negative near the end which keeps us cold enough for threats...but you can tell the spread is huge overlal on these runs since even in the PNA region there's little oscillations and almost split flow looking type height isopleths.

GEFS were much more gung ho.

What's the EPO situation?

What's the EPO situation?

Pretty meh...it has some weak ridging back west just W of bering straight...but EPO has fairly low heights. The NAO is what keeps us decent...similar to the end of Dec 2008 and early Jan 2009. The signals are pretty uncertain though.

Pretty meh...it has some weak ridging back west just W of bering straight...but EPO has fairly low heights. The NAO is what keeps us decent...similar to the end of Dec 2008 and early Jan 2009. The signals are pretty uncertain though.

Incidentally Allen's site has the change from the run 12 hours earlier now. Regarding the euro op, it looks not as bad as I'm reading. ...actually in terms of h5 a bit better. Waiting ensembles but I only see to d10.

How much at the Stowe resort itself at base level?

At my 1,550ft base area snowstake and snow board measuring area (no kites), today's reading was a depth of 9.5", which is down from yesterday morning's 11.5" reading. So the fluff settled out 2" over 24 hours and its still pretty fluffy. Not going to hold up well to 40s and rain, lol. Man-made stuff isn't going anywhere but the 9-14" on the ground now will evaporate pretty quickly I bet.

At my 1,550ft base area snowstake and snow board measuring area (no kites), today's reading was a depth of 9.5", which is down from yesterday morning's 11.5" reading. So the fluff settled out 2" over 24 hours and its still pretty fluffy. Not going to hold up well to 40s and rain, lol. Man-made stuff isn't going anywhere but the 9-14" on the ground now will evaporate pretty quickly I bet.

I mean for the season, or was that amount for the base resort? I thought the earlier 35" was at the stake.

Nice, taken off the Stowe website substantially above the 5 year average

Nov 22-30 Base 27 F Summit 32 F new snow 16" percent open 12 miles 5 base 6"-26"

Today

Season Total: 35"

• Base: 19°F
  • Summit: 17°F
  • Trails Open: 38

20" - 36"

You guys were right to laugh at me in early November when I had a melt down looking at long range progs showing warmth. I'll have to find some of those posts I had....classic stuff, going off on how ski areas will never again open on time in this "age of warmth" and how every ski season starts horrifically in recent memory.

Talk about putting your foot in your mouth, lol. Everyone either opened on time or early this season and had way more skiable terrain open at the end of November than any other year in recent memory.

Incidentally Allen's site has the change from the run 12 hours earlier now. Regarding the euro op, it looks not as bad as I'm reading. ...actually in terms of h5 a bit better. Waiting ensembles but I only see to d10.

I think we're going to have cross our fingers and hope we are on the right side of the gradient.

More importantly...Happy Birthday! Make it a good one.

I mean for the season, or was that amount for the base resort? I thought the earlier 35" was at the stake.

Oh... base area total snowfall this month was 19", summit was 35". Those are my numbers that I've personally measured or verified.

I can't even use the stake data anymore for "new" snowfall... the co-op reports just aren't even close to reality. This past storm it recorded 5.0" on 0.64" liquid over a 48 hour period. That same 48 hour period I measured 13" of new snow (at a temporary spot at 3,200ft). The 0.64" of liquid the Co-Op reported makes perfect sense given the fluff factor...and I think my 13" measured would make sense with ratios of almost exactly 20:1 (pretty standard for arctic front/upslope events).

I've just never understood how the snow depth (hard to mess up snow depth, you just look at the stake) and liquid equivalents make sense, yet the reported "new snowfall" causes a :huh: emotion. I mean this last storm, there is just absolutely no way or excuse why the Co-Op observer could come in with a ratio of like 8:1. It was champagne powder dendrites at 15 degrees, not 32F needles.

Oh... base area total snowfall this month was 19", summit was 35". Those are my numbers that I've personally measured or verified.

I can't even use the stake data anymore for "new" snowfall... the co-op reports just aren't even close to reality. This past storm it recorded 5.0" on 0.64" liquid over a 48 hour period. That same 48 hour period I measured 13" of new snow (at a temporary spot at 3,200ft). The 0.64" of liquid the Co-Op reported makes perfect sense given the fluff factor...and I think my 13" measured would make sense with ratios of almost exactly 20:1 (pretty standard for arctic front/upslope events).

I've just never understood how the snow depth (hard to mess up snow depth, you just look at the stake) and liquid equivalents make sense, yet the reported "new snowfall" causes a :huh: emotion. I mean this last storm, there is just absolutely no way or excuse why the Co-Op observer could come in with a ratio of like 8:1. It was champagne powder dendrites at 15 degrees, not 32F needles.

That's just the wind I suppose. What can you do, you can't just make up snow unfortunately. It's is frustrating to know that there was more snow than that.

Archived