Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Looking towards the beginning of December

CoastalWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new to this forum. How do you guys measure snow? I saw a picture from CTBlizz with supposed 3.5" the other day, and it looked like 2" at best. This picture looks similar to what I just saw in South Boston, and that's no where close to an inch. I am from Europe, we measure in cm, but regardless, even with large storms, numbers always seem vastly exaggerated here.

Almost an inch now on the deck. A little snow in the garland.

19BF552C-ECB2-4CC7-84D9-03A5D530ED29-1571-000001136CD880F8.jpg

I am new to this forum. How do you guys measure snow? I saw a picture from CTBlizz with supposed 3.5" the other day, and it looked like 2" at best. This picture looks similar to what I just saw in South Boston, and that's no where close to an inch. I am from Europe, we measure in cm, but regardless, even with large storms, numbers always seem vastly exaggerated here.

You should measure on a snow board...pavement will give you low numbers generally and grass will give you high numbers generally...especially in small events. In major events, it usually doesn't make too much difference.

Perhaps the best of all of my birthdays! My wife and I and dog went on a 5 mile snow walk. It started ripping nicely around 11:15. Snowing gently but seems to want to increase. White and cold. The way the first day of met wuntr should be.

Thanks to all for the good bday wishes. It's a fine fine day!

Well we don't measure on kites here in the US

I measured 0.7" on my deck and railing both are flat surfaces.

Kiteboard....hmmm...change those letters around a bit...

wait for it...yep...

ForkyFork

Perhaps the best of all of my birthdays! My wife and I and dog went on a 5 mile snow walk. It started ripping nicely around 11:15. Snowing gently but seems to want to increase. White and cold. The way the first day of met wuntr should be.

Happy Bday 'fella. glad you're getting your wish!

No comment on anything else, but yes, use a snowboard. And no, not one that you would use at a ski hill.

A picnic table works well or a half-sheet of plywood, propped up off the ground.

And snow here is measured in whole and tenths of inches. 6.2" for example. Not eighths and sixteenths like found on a typical American ruler.

Some people here like to measure in centimeters and then report them in inches. Stat-padding, ftw. ;)

Lol

Lol

This was posted by Nittany88 in the NNE thread, but figured you would love this endless summer at BTV over the last couple years.

November 2012 was the first below normal month in 20 months at BTV, even using the "new" normals (per Nittany's post)....

Just a brutal stretch of above average temps. LOL at +12 last March.

r94ewo.png

I see more exaggeration in low end events than larger events.

Driving through Parsonsfield .. looks like 5" new. Roads completely covered and treacherous.

I do have to admit...someone using their first post ever to call out a met for a snowfall measurement is highly questionable.

Curious IP trace...it is a weird first post. We'll find out if he is actually overseas or not, lol. We like overseas people posting here, but definitely do not like trolls posing as them. So hopefully that's not what this handle is.

happy birthday!!!

happy birthday!!!

Happy birthday!

Archived