Newest Member
    Toothache
Looking towards the beginning of December

CoastalWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg...I snowfall stat you don't know? lol

I was just checking out BUF...2000-2001 actually has the record 1" at 114 days.

For 6", 1976-1977 at 82 days

For 12", 1976-1977 at 68 days (blows away the rest)

I'm guessing '00-'01 might be the record here too for at least 1" and maybe even the other 2. The problem is that '00-'01 doesn't have official snow depth data here. But from memory of that year, it basically ran the table from before Christmas into early April. I don't think it ever melted out between that. It took a hit in February at one point but not nearly enough to melt it all. Jan-Feb 1961 had 32 consecutive days of over 12" on the ground...and most of that was spent with over 20" on the ground peaking at 42".

Checking 1976-1977...that year had 45 days over (35 of them consecutive) 12" on the ground.

Just looked up the NCDC ORH had flakes flying on 7 separate occasions in 02 average for the month was 37.6

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/ulcd/ULCD

That data will be awful for '02...that was during their problems. ORH actually had 12 days in November that year with a trace or more when we reconstructed the F6 with hourly obs and PNS.

I'm guessing '00-'01 might be the record here too for at least 1" and maybe even the other 2. The problem is that '00-'01 doesn't have official snow depth data here. But from memory of that year, it basically ran the table from before Christmas into early April. I don't think it ever melted out between that. It took a hit in February at one point but not nearly enough to melt it all. Jan-Feb 1961 had 32 consecutive days of over 12" on the ground...and most of that was spent with over 20" on the ground peaking at 42".

Checking 1976-1977...that year had 45 days over (35 of them consecutive) 12" on the ground.

How did 77-78 do? that's #2 here for 12" or more on the ground at 45 days.

Nt sure it is a good idea right now. Ground not frozen. Wasn't going fast, but he cuts his lawn really short prior to winter. Blizz would spray him with a hose...

He is a nice guy. Volunteer cellar hole squad, etc

Got to get in it and play, whether its sledding, shoveling, making naked snow angels,skiing, or just walking. Sissified yuppies stare out the window Charlie Brown style and never get their feet wet then proclaim how much they love snow. How is Wa Wa?

How did 77-78 do? that's #2 here for 12" or more on the ground at 45 days.

Actually has more than '76-'77 with 12"+....46 versus 45. However, so close to being a lot more...after the Cleveland Superbomb, ORH snow pack spent 10 consecutive days at 10" or 11" snow depth before getting replenished in the 2/5/78 blizzard. Also had a few 10" days in March that year.

Got to get in it and play, whether its sledding, shoveling, making naked snow angels,skiing, or just walking. Sissified yuppies stare out the window Charlie Brown style and never get their feet wet then proclaim how much they love snow. How is Wa Wa?

Wachusett has 4 trails open, 3 lifts. Diane went yesterday, said it was icy in spots. I might go tonight or Sunday...

Yea pretty sweet month. I was going to check the hourly obs. What was the problem?

Airport wasn't reporting snow back then. Only during decent sized events. They didn't even report traces. Though NWS started doing better reported traces by just seeing if snow was reported by the ASOS at any point...but all of them didn't get into the F6 database back then. So when we reconstructed it, we found several missing days...both of measurable from PNS and ASOS snow obs. IT was a mess between 1995-2004...though by 2002-2004 it wasn't quite as bad, but still some errors in there.

Unfortunately the data never made it into NCDC, so the incomplete data is still in there.

Airport wasn't reporting snow back then. Only during decent sized events. They didn't even report traces. Though NWS started doing better reported traces by just seeing if snow was reported by the ASOS at any point...but all of them didn't get into the F6 database back then. So when we reconstructed it, we found several missing days...both of measurable from PNS and ASOS snow obs. IT was a mess between 1995-2004...though by 2002-2004 it wasn't quite as bad, but still some errors in there.

Unfortunately the data never made it into NCDC, so the incomplete data is still in there.

So the hourly ASOS Obs I just looked at were right but the f-6 is not? Edit yea I see it now, I counted 10 days where the ASOS reported snow

Archived