Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Looking towards the beginning of December

CoastalWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models were definitely a bit too warm in the low levels...but we thought they might be but we knew they would be wholeheartedly with slam dunk certitude yesterday. They were fairly decent on QPF though. The lower sfc temps have allowed for probably a bit further east coverage on the minor accumulations.

I don't think overall the models busted bad or anything. It was a classic setup where you take a few degrees off their projected sfc temps...which is what we often do anyway when there is a strong sfc high in N Maine or that vicinity.

yeah, agreed. word

2002 was one of the rare Novembers where snow pack held into the base building time of December (courtesy of the back to back 11/27 and 11/29 events)....though it did get dented a bit on 11/30. But then a cold front came through for the 1st of Dec which set the airmass in place for the anomalous Dec 5th event for the M.A.

BOS still had a north wind...its going to take a good long while for the interior to rise above freezing. Particularly where the east slopes of the interior hills tuck that cold up against them. East slopes of Berks and N ORH hills/Monads could be rotting in the upper 20s to 30/31 well into tonight I think. I wonder if they fail to reach above freezing until tomorrow morning. I think that might happen.

2002 was one of the rare Novembers where snow pack held into the base building time of December (courtesy of the back to back 11/27 and 11/29 events)....though it did get dented a bit on 11/30. But then a cold front came through for the 1st of Dec which set the airmass in place for the anomalous Dec 5th event for the M.A.

I don't know if there is an officially recognized climate derived date in December for "base building time" :) but 1995 certainly did that for northern Mass.

BOS still had a north wind...its going to take a good long while for the interior to rise above freezing. Particularly where the east slopes of the interior hills tuck that cold up against them. East slopes of Berks and N ORH hills/Monads could be rotting in the upper 20s to 30/31 well into tonight I think. I wonder if they fail to reach above freezing until tomorrow morning. I think that might happen.

MRG locked in the teens? Does he have any snowcover?

Will what is ORH's record for number of days with 1", 6", and 12" on the ground?

2012 sure won't one of those Novembers. :)

Congrats everyone. Seems almost all (sorry Joe and Brian) were able to enjoy a little wintry spell before the torch.

I don't know if there is an officially recognized climate derived date in December for "base building time" :) but 1995 certainly did that for northern Mass.

I was going to mention Nov 95. We had that early morning event on the 29th that carried over into the meat and potatoes of winter.

Will what is ORH's record for number of days with 1", 6", and 12" on the ground?

Oh jeez, I don't actually have that data handy. I know 1960-1961 had 101 days of 1" or more. Not sure what the record is though. '00-'01 is up there too. So is '02-'03.

So nice to have flakes flying everywhere though. I only had 1 snow event in 2002, one was a minor icing event. Anyone know what 2002 monthly average was at the 4 major climo sites in the BOX area?

It was -2 here that month...there was a pretty big torch in the week leading up to the mid-month icing event which kept the month from being something like a -4 or -5.

Oh jeez, I don't actually have that data handy. I know 1960-1961 had 101 days of 1" or more. Not sure what the record is though. '00-'01 is up there too. So is '02-'03.

omg...I snowfall stat you don't know? lol

I was just checking out BUF...2000-2001 actually has the record 1" at 114 days.

For 6", 1976-1977 at 82 days

For 12", 1976-1977 at 68 days (blows away the rest)

Archived