joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unprecedented evacuation here as the first selectman has issued mandatory evacuations for cat 4 storm surge. Evacuations stretch all the way to route 1. WOW

Thanks for the updates litchfield.

Do you have a map or a link for this? Have interests along CT coast, within route 1.

Apologies if this was already posted but the 12z HWRF landfalls at ~934 mb...and it initialized the current pressure much better than other models.

Yep, I've been watching it over the past 36 hours or so. It has been pretty spot on with the pressure thus far. I think part of the reason is that it closes off an eye (much like Sandy is attempting to do now) and keeps at least a partially intact eyewall all the way through landfall. It's interesting to note that it has 105+ kt winds at 850 over LI prior to landfall. With a ~950 surface, 850 isn't as far off the deck as it normally is.

yeah but no ones power will go out except on the shorelines so it's okay.

lol dude I was just agreeing that relative to the coastline where a lot of people live, the NW hills probably won't have the fan fare that the coast has.

Did you miss Will's post agreeing? I know what its like...no one around here cares if the mountain towns lose power but if all of BTV goes out it's on the front page of the paper.

I bet Ryan is planning on doing live shots from the coastal areas over the northern hills. I'm not trying to diminish what you or the interior sees, I just still think the story will be the populated coastline...and that's not bong induced thinking ;)

C'mon Will, you know what I'm getting at. Obviously the shoreline will be much much worse but to say that only a few people north of 84 will lose power is stupid. You can't compare two unlike things...the threat on the shoreline is obviously a different animal, I'm not an idiot.

Chris I know what you are saying...but you are taking it too literally. As far as the general public and the media is concerned, there are only a few people that live in the Litchfield Hills compared with the I-95 corridor along the coast. If dense populated spots down there are seeing 90-100mph gusts ALONG with record surge, that will take the cake over Litchfield County seeing 70-80mph gusts on the ridges at 1200ft.

I live in the mountains and know that most folks aren't impressed by more extreme weather in the hills...the public gets freaked out when it's population centers getting rocked. You can't blame the media if your neighbors aren't prepared because it wasnt hit hard enough on the news that Litchfield County would lose power.

How's the foot coming? Going to rock the park and pow this winter?

A sub 940 is just unfathomable. Not sure that will verify, but my oh my

Unprecedented territory here.

I believe the Hurricane of 38 had a pressure at landfall of 941mb. That is the New England record. I just can't see a 934mb storm hitting NJ.

Not to beat a dead horse but all this and the NHC has not issued any Hurricane Warnings. I know, I know it will not be a true warm core system at landfall but to the average Joe this will the closest many people will see to true hurricane conditions in their lifetimes. The coast and aways inland all the way from Atlantic City to SE Mass should in my opinion have Hurricane Wind Warnings posted and not regular High Wind Warnings which are issued a few times a year.

A little confusion here in Fairfield as evac says south of old post road just went to the police station the officer looked me into the eye and said if you are in a stage 4 flood zone or less you are ordered to evacuation, he said they are expecting a maximum surge of 16 feet, this town is insanity right now, by the way saw one of ryans nbs trucks at the police station!

I believe the Hurricane of 38 had a pressure at landfall of 941mb. That is the New England record. I just can't see a 934mb storm hitting NJ.

Not to beat a dead horse but all this and the NHC has not issued any Hurricane Warnings. I know, I know it will not be a true warm core system at landfall but to the average Joe this will the closest many people will see to true hurricane conditions in their lifetimes. The coast and aways inland all the way from Atlantic City to SE Mass should in my opinion have Hurricane Wind Warnings posted and not regular High Wind Warnings which are issued a few times a year.

right but it will be for 95% of it's life it will be. nothing like not undestanding the pschye of the public in order to follow the definition of a textbook

here's the current steering flow for sandy

http://tropic.ssec.w...dlm5&zoom==

love the look of this

http://www.ssd.noaa....l/flash-wv.html

look at the energy diving toward sandy from the west

I think the hype is probably necessary for LI sound area, otherwise im not sure it's much more than we've already experienced at least here in the coast. That's given current track.

I don't know, was at Ogunquit ME just before noon today, the atlantic was 3 or 4 feet below the shorefront hotels/restaurants and street level. Can't imagine there won't be serious destruction tomorrow / night during high tide.

I think the hype is probably necessary for LI sound area, otherwise im not sure it's much more than we've already experienced at least here in the coast. That's given current track.

Agreed. As mentioned before by others timing is everything, windspeed, direction etc... The BOX forecast for here in Scituate seems reasonable IMO. We will see how it plays out.

Up to 45 schools in mass and snh closed tomorrow and some Tuesday as well. I'm sure Plymouth will be open and will survive the 40mph gusts okay wink.png

edit: simply refresh of the page and up to 60.

weatherMA do you have a link for this?

just tracking this on whdh but no numbers posted

thx

Archived