joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NHC made this change a few years ago to speak of inundation. It's clear in the language of their advisory. I know of what I speak here.

"STORM SURGE...THE COMBINATION OF AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM SURGE

AND THE TIDE WILL CAUSE NORMALLY DRY AREAS NEAR THE COAST TO BE

FLOODED BY RISING WATERS. THE WATER COULD REACH THE FOLLOWING

DEPTHS ABOVE GROUND IF THE PEAK SURGE OCCURS AT THE TIME OF HIGH

TIDE..."

I'm not doubting you... was just surprised. Thanks for the heads up. I wish I knew what their actual surge forecast was to compare with historical benchmarks and expected astro tide.

That doesn't make any sense... then it's not storm surge.

What are some of the limitations associated with the SLOSH model?

Does not model astronomical tide explicitly

• Operational runs can be run at varying water level anomalies to model the water level conditions at the onset of operational runs

http://www.nhc.noaa....surge_faq.shtml

SLOSH-Display-Training.ppt

GFS again looks almost identical to 06z north of ACY but a bit stronger.

Have noticed the Nhc wind probability progs. They seem to dodge much of the eastern and ne areas. Hoping that's the case and that multiple bad storms in the last few years have taken many of the weakened trees.

If anyone in the areas that's going to get hammered bad needs a place to crash for a few days let me know.

I think Upton and Boston are providing those details in their Coastal Flood Warnings.

You are confusing "storm tide" with "storm surge".

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/

Storm Surge vs. Storm Tide

Storm surge is an abnormal rise of water generated by a storm, over and above the predicted astronomical tides. Storm surge should not be confused with storm tide, which is defined as the water level rise due to the combination of storm surge and the astronomical tide. This rise in water level can cause extreme flooding in coastal areas particularly when storm surge coincides with normal high tide, resulting in storm tides reaching up to 20 feet or more in some cases.

Seems like coastal NJ/NY is in a serious danger at this point. Mass Coast should be thanking their lucky stars this didn't curve another 150 miles north of where it is going to. I hope that the effects in Boston area are lessened by storm veering so far south but I imagine the extra-tropical characteristics will still cause some tropical storm force winds.

From the Upton coastal flood warning.

* TIDAL DEPARTURES...BETWEEN 1 TO 2 FT ABOVE ASTRONOMICAL TIDES

TODAY AND TONIGHT...2 TO 4 FT ABOVE ASTRONOMICAL TIDES MONDAY

MORNING...AND POTENTIAL FOR 5 TO 10 FT ABOVE MONDAY NIGHT INTO

TUESDAY MORNING. THE HIGHER END OF THE RANGE RELEGATED TO THE

MOST FLOOD PRONE COASTAL LOCATIONS WHERE TIDAL DEPARTURES WILL

REACH 6 TO 11 FT. THIS INCLUDES WESTERN LONG ISLAND SOUND.

I think Upton and Boston are providing those details in their Coastal Flood Warnings.

Could you clarify what you are saying. I am confused. Is a 7-11 foot surge 7-11 feet above the normal expected tide level? I know the extratropicalstorm surge values run off the GFS were at those ranges this AM.

Seems like coastal NJ/NY is in a serious danger at this point. Mass Coast should be thanking their lucky stars this didn't curve another 150 miles north of where it is going to. I hope that the effects in Boston area are lessened by storm veering so far south but I imagine the extra-tropical characteristics will still cause some tropical storm force winds.

The only saving grace is timing of the storm, not really location. But, if winds are more erly Monday Night, potential exists for major coastal flooding.

You are confusing "storm tide" with "storm surge".

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/

Storm Surge vs. Storm Tide

Storm surge is an abnormal rise of water generated by a storm, over and above the predicted astronomical tides. Storm surge should not be confused with storm tide, which is defined as the water level rise due to the combination of storm surge and the astronomical tide. This rise in water level can cause extreme flooding in coastal areas particularly when storm surge coincides with normal high tide, resulting in storm tides reaching up to 20 feet or more in some cases.

I definitely know the difference. All I am saying is how the NHC is expressing things. From what I have read from local offices, they are providing both surge and total storm tides.

I definitely know the difference. All I am saying is how the NHC is expressing things. From what I have read from local offices, they are providing both surge and total storm tides.

You're right... in the advisory they explicitly say the combination of tide and surge will lead to the following depths above ground.

The NWS statement though is simply surge and storm tide.

Archived