joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it does look more tropical than yesterday....I don't see a reason to dismiss them.

Why not ensemble/blend the tropical mods and the global models?

The NAM has some convection with the warm front getting whipped in from the SE. LLJ is maximized here too, this should be watched because any sea gull fart will bring hurricane force gusts down if that happened.

LOL. I see SPC has "See text" for SNE for tomorrow

I want to relate a personal experience and something learned from Irene, hopefully it will stay posted as its relevant. During PS1 the tide never really went out, low tide never came for two cycles. Keep that in mind when thinking about the surge in sounds. A quick hitting cane like Bob or Gloria and the timing of the tide is very important to final surge numbers, a long sustained fetch storm with multiple cycles of tide is a different animal. The lesson learned from Irene was the predicted current speeds of the Oceans waters was very high so the surge was aided, along with being propelled by wind and wave. Current speeds during this full moon are on par. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. Not to mention wave action in this monster is off the hook.

Agree totally similar effect in NYC in the Dec 1992 Coastal. 3 tidal cycles were affected and the flooding across the west end of LIS was unbelievable. East River Drive was underwater as well as many of the back bays from Westchester County thru the Bronx and the North Shore of LI

It even gives me >30kt sustained at 10m as the convection moves through. It looks very Nov 50esque wrt that up here.

What are you going with for winds in HFD?

Gusts 60-80 statewide. Didn't get cute but indicated the highest would be at the coast... less inland.

Maybe by tonight may pin down like a 55-70 inalnd.... 65-80 coast for gusts?

Gov Malloy on TWC said he alerting local coastal authorities to expect a cat 4 storm surge into the western sound from the Havens west into Greenwich. (worst case scenario)

The state is really just doing a phenomenal job. Literally everything I've heard from towns and the state in terms of storm surge, timing, threats is exactly what I've been talking about.

I'm very pleased with how things are going.

I think you have to treat this as a worst case scenario surge... fingers crossed it's not.

Gusts 60-80 statewide. Didn't get cute but indicated the highest would be at the coast... less inland.

Maybe by tonight may pin down like a 55-70 inalnd.... 65-80 coast for gusts?

That's a good range I think. 60s inland, 70s on the coast, maybe 80 on the shore there as winds go more e-ese.

That doesn't make any sense... then it's not storm surge.

The NHC made this change a few years ago to speak of inundation. It's clear in the language of their advisory. I know of what I speak here.

"STORM SURGE...THE COMBINATION OF AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM SURGE

AND THE TIDE WILL CAUSE NORMALLY DRY AREAS NEAR THE COAST TO BE

FLOODED BY RISING WATERS. THE WATER COULD REACH THE FOLLOWING

DEPTHS ABOVE GROUND IF THE PEAK SURGE OCCURS AT THE TIME OF HIGH

TIDE..."

Archived