Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Who Needs Hazel When You Have Sandy

CT Rain

Slightly OT but I have to share....

In intro to Met this morning the professor talked about how she saw "Facebook posts about possible big storm a week from now". She just got back from being away and hadn't checked anything so she said we would check the gfs (6z) to see what that had....straight OTS. Too bad we hadn't checked the EURO from last night lol...but usually we check the gfs only every day in class...I don't think Kevin would approve.

Anyway, thought it was kind of funny, we'll see what the 12z gfs brings. :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the upper air pattern sort of starts to look Nov 1950-esque...except our version here has a TC getting absorbed into it. Both have the huge negative anomaly over the central Apps of course and the monster high anomaly over Nova Scotia to New Foundland/lower Davis Straight and a western ridge/GOA low.

Obviously it takes a lot of things to align correctly to actually get it to happen.

It would be an amazing event to see, thats for sure!

this storm would fit in perfectly with some storms from the early 1950's...That's if it happens of course...1951 had a major storm in early November...Then a blast of cold for a few days...I wonder what the models had for last years October 29th storm a week before it happened?...who would have thought we were going to see the greatest October snowstorm on record?...

STEP 1, actually get a TD on the map - done!

That’s probably gusts of wind approaching 100 mph impacting the upper MA (possibly New England) given a 00Z GGEM/Euro operational blend.

I fear a plausible worst case scenario storm surge focus/augmentation approaching 20ft possibly breaching into lower Manhattan. The NW hooking and accelarating hurricane (in this case transitioning hybrid) has been theorized by FEMA and the more I pour over this stuff it gets difficult to separate these depictions. We can play games with over solicitation of events and hyping and all that crap but at the end of the day, these models are balanced well against the lead teleconnectors and are unfortunately trying to signal a potentially dire scenario - it just is what it is.

A rare anomaly in the blocking construct over the Atlantic Basin leaves any TC no choice but to careen headlong into the cold trough, formulating a kind of Perfect Storm scenario, only not 700 nautical miles out at sea that then retrogrades toward the Coast. This time tucked into the East Coastal water ways and thoroughfares. All I can say is, if you live coastal communities from the Del Marva to Maine, you may want to take some time now to consider getting your affairs in order – in the minimum as a precautionary measure, such that if you need to act quickly you will be prepared to do so. It can't hurt to be prepared.

Last night I wrote up another thread trying to get people to be aware that there are signals abounding for important cyclogenesis regardless of any TC involvement. But operational guidance just refuses to budge on the infusion scenario. I just see this as better than a median chance of occurring do to the governing pointers.

By the way, the 00z GFS was less than rational looking -

Nov 1968:

I remember this storm as young one...The NY Daily News Headline the next day was Real Whistler Wallops East Coast. Picture on front page was of cars abandoned on the Whitestone bridge and motorists fleeing back towards the toll plaza. Very high winds with the storm

post-110-0-66487700-1350920634_thumb.jpg

You know what' interesting about that 500mb surface - that looks real -AO like. The mean latitude of the westerlies is suppressed S everywhere. One thing I've noted to self in the past is that establishing good baroclinic "tendency" in the middle latitude requires a bit of -AO for obvious reasons - and when I see charts like that it just re-affirms that understanding.

Also, what did that chart looking like 12 hours later ?

Nov 1968:

I remember this storm as young one...The NY Daily News Headline the next day was Real Whistler Wallops East Coast. Picture on front page was of cars abandoned on the Whitestone bridge and motorists fleeing back towards the toll plaza. Very high winds with the storm

IIRC, the Whitestone was closed down due to excessive sway in winds gusting into the 60s. We had 8" of paste in NNJ, largest Nov snowfall I saw there (1950-72.) We (the builders I then worked for) put roofing felt on a framed/sheathed/no-windows-yet house in the windy dark the evening before - lots of fun - and the next morning every square inch of the inside floors was snowcovered, but at least the later melting didn't create cold showers coming through the plywood joints.

Ya looks like this run of the GFS has the tropical system much closer to Florida then previous run.

The system is also stronger and tilted more to the north than the 6z run, and the s/w drops a bit more south as well. It's pointless to model hug as we're still a week out and the models are still going to change with the ridging NE of Sandy, the Atlantic low and the s/w, although this run does look more favorable than the previous runs.

Regardless of what this run shows I'm more interested though in seeing if the CMC and ECM still show the monster storm with their 12z runs, they've been stronger with this than the GFS from the start (except for the ECM which started a bit late).

IIRC, the Whitestone was closed down due to excessive sway in winds gusting into the 60s. We had 8" of paste in NNJ, largest Nov snowfall I saw there (1950-72.) We (the builders I then worked for) put roofing felt on a framed/sheathed/no-windows-yet house in the windy dark the evening before - lots of fun - and the next morning every square inch of the inside floors was snowcovered, but at least the later melting didn't create cold showers coming through the plywood joints.

You're right. A seconday system developed along DE/NJ that night and moved north inland north and west of NYC got wet snow the night after the primary storm. Even had some slushy accums in the Bronx where I was living at the time. IIRC winds were sustained in the 60s with gusts to over hurricane force.

The system is also stronger and tilted more to the north than the 6z run, and the s/w drops a bit more south as well. It's pointless to model hug as we're still a week out and the models are still going to change with the ridging NE of Sandy, the Atlantic low and the s/w, although this run does look more favorable than the previous runs.

Regardless of what this run shows I'm more interested though in seeing if the CMC and ECM still show the monster storm with their 12z runs, they've been stronger with this than the GFS from the start (except for the ECM which started a bit late).

Yes I agree just thought I would make an assessment from this current run. Like everyone has said still a long way off from having a solution with this storm or no storm

this GFS run is looking more favorable for phasing than 00z

the trough orientation is still all wrong here though. We need it deeper/more negatively tilted dropping into the ohio valley, and that would involve losing whatever energy is dropping down the back side of the trough simultaneously over the new/western canada

Tip is on board With a better than median chance ;)

It is interesting to see the different MET perspectives. Some buy the most destructive and disruptive solutions (like on twitter last night), others straight out dismiss the exotic solutions, most are middle of the road cautious with good reason, and then there are also ones who straight up are praying for it to happen.

the trough orientation is still all wrong here though. We need it deeper/more negatively tilted dropping into the ohio valley, and that would involve losing whatever energy is dropping down the back side of the trough simultaneously over the new/western canada

I agree. The mean trough on the GFS, looks too broad and flat.

Meanwhile:

THE DEPRESSION IS LOCATED IN AN ENVIRONMENT THAT IS HIGHLY CONDUCIVE

FOR STRENGTHENING...AT LEAST DURING THE NEXT 36 TO 48 HOURS. IN

FACT...THERE IS A 50/50 CHANCE THAT THE DEPRESSION WILL STRENGTHEN

BY AT LEAST 25 KT DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS BASED ON THE RAPID

INTENSIFICATION INDEX. THEREFORE...THE OFFICIAL FORECAST SHOWS

FAIRLY QUICK STRENGTHENING DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS...AND THE

DEPRESSION COULD BE ON THE CUSP OF BECOMING A HURRICANE AS IT IS

APPROACHING JAMAICA. AFTER 48 HOURS...VERTICAL SHEAR IS EXPECTED

TO INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY...AND NEARLY ALL THE GLOBAL MODELS

SUGGEST THAT THE CYCLONE WILL TAKE ON MORE HYBRID

CHARACTERISTICS...SUCH AS AN EXPANDING WIND FIELD TO THE NORTH AND

ITS INTERACTION WITH A MID- TO UPPER-LEVEL LOW. THE OFFICIAL

FORECAST THEREFORE SHOWS THE CYCLONE BECOMING A SUBTROPICAL STORM

BY DAY 5.

You know what' interesting about that 500mb surface - that looks real -AO like. The mean latitude of the westerlies is suppressed S everywhere. One thing I've noted to self in the past is that establishing good baroclinic "tendency" in the middle latitude requires a bit of -AO for obvious reasons - and when I see charts like that it just re-affirms that understanding.

Also, what did that chart looking like 12 hours later ?

post-110-0-48299300-1350922677_thumb.jpg

STEP 1, actually get a TD on the map - done!

I fear a plausible worst case scenario storm surge focus/augmentation approaching 20ft possibly breaching into lower Manhattan. The NW hooking and accelarating hurricane (in this case transitioning hybrid) has been theorized by FEMA and the more I pour over this stuff it gets difficult to separate these depictions. We can play games with over solicitation of events and hyping and all that crap but at the end of the day, these models are balanced well against the lead teleconnectors and are unfortunately trying to signal a potentially dire scenario - it just is what it is.

Thats a pretty ridiculous statement to make 8 days out.

Nov 1968:

post-110-0-66487700-1350920634_thumb.jpg

I was in Ithaca for that storm....great early season snow dump! I remember betting this guy who said "flurries and nothing more". I collected.

Archived