amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Who Needs Hazel When You Have Sandy

CT Rain

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of thoughts? The tropical system to me is the big if...what if it doesnt develop or gets stuck over Cuba/Hispanola and is a disorganized mess?

Also, the Canadian has it coming inland over NC/VA--pretty far south of here--even Euro is more Del-marva hit so not sure what the SNE impact would be other than some rain and wind? maybe the mets can chime in on that scenario...

If there is a very strong high to the north you could get a 12/1992 or 3/2010 scenario where an inane SE pressure gradient develops causing hurricane force winds. As of now the high on the Euro looks too far north to me and not strong enough. The winds are mainly a result of the low being around 950-960mb. I just don't know about the prospects at this time of the year for anything more than a strong TS making it up to VA or NC....especially since the system may have crossed Cuba and would get up the coast pretty quickly after the Bahamas.

Tell me why that would be unlikely?

I said its not highly likely, highly likely implies like a 95 percent chance of happening. Right now the environment for a TS to develop is pretty cr8p...full of shear and dry air. While it does look like the environment improves, i would bet against a strong TS or cane develping by friday given climo, land interaction, and the trends of this season. Its late oct not september.

BUF got about 3" and ROC got 2/3" of inch. Pretty crazy gradient. Toronto must have been right on the cold side of the stationary front.

They lived in Kitchener and said there was pretty good damage from it. I didn't get specifics, but that was the first time I've ever heard about Hazel. This was back when I was in elementary school. It was funny since I thought my uncle was exaggerating and couldn't figure out how they could have such high impact so far inland. Well I didn't know extra-tropical transition in 5th grade..lol.

I said its not highly likely, highly likely implies like a 95 percent chance of happening. Right now the environment for a TS to develop is pretty cr8p...full of shear and dry air. While it does look like the environment improves, i would bet against a strong TS or cane develping by friday given climo, land interaction, and the trends of this season. Its late oct not september.

It's sitting in bathwater down there. And even if it starts to show signs of being asymmetric warm, you know it easily can have 55 or 60kt winds.

Ampsu is one of the best tropical forecasters around, look out

The best news that would probably come out of this would be that some tree damage would likely be mitigated by the relatively early foliage this year....By the 29-30th most areas down to NYC and C-NJ will probably have peaked or be slightly past it which would probably enable alot of leaf drop to occur as the winds increased maybe saving some damage...certainly this would be the case for most of New England and the interior parts of NJ/SRN NY and PA.

NHC/Adam > you

They lived in Kitchener and said there was pretty good damage from it. I didn't get specifics, but that was the first time I've ever heard about Hazel. This was back when I was in elementary school. It was funny since I thought my uncle was exaggerating and couldn't figure out how they could have such high impact so far inland. Well I didn't know extra-tropical transition in 5th grade..lol.

Yeah I think it was a rain thing as opposed to wind...I'd doubt they got much wind at all in Toronto.

I still haven't seen figures for how much rainfall it really was.

In Phils dream... Usually boring wins, last capture like that was 2/10 right?

The NY retro storm was a capture too. They were similar in that it took strong blocking to cause it, but it's easier to do that with mid latitude cyclones. This would be a much rarer feat to accomplish. However, there are some key players involved like a deepening trough in the Midwest along with very strong -NAO blocking, so this isn't something to immediately brush off at all. You still can have impacts from rain and even a developing low as the trough goes negatively tilted...all indirectly related. Key interactions such as strength of the Carb low, the s/w that eventually tries to pick up the low and move it NW, as well as the position and strength of blocking all need to be worked out. If anyone out there is well versed in H5 patterns....you know there are several key aspects that have to work out perfectly to accomplish something like the euro op has. So for now, we wait and see how guidance handles everything over the next few days.

The NY retro storm was a capture too. They were similar in that it took strong blocking to cause it, but it's easier to do that with mid latitude cyclones. This would be a much rarer feat to accomplish. However, there are some key players involved like a deepening trough in the Midwest along with very strong -NAO blocking, so this isn't something to immediately brush off at all. You still can have impacts from rain and even a developing low as the trough goes negatively tilted...all indirectly related. Key interactions such as strength of the Carb low, the s/w that eventually tries to pick up the low and move it NW, as well as the position and strength of blocking all need to be worked out. If anyone out there is well versed in H5 patterns....you know there are several key aspects that have to work out perfectly to accomplish something like the euro op has. So for now, we wait and see how guidance handles everything over the next few days.

Really good post, Scooter.

The best news that would probably come out of this would be that some tree damage would likely be mitigated by the relatively early foliage this year....By the 29-30th most areas down to NYC and C-NJ will probably have peaked or be slightly past it which would probably enable alot of leaf drop to occur as the winds increased maybe saving some damage...certainly this would be the case for most of New England and the interior parts of NJ/SRN NY and PA.

Uhh... it's the 22nd and the leaves have barely begun to change color in Central Park.

Exactly. Keep an eye up stream. I thought NY Retro was 2/10 that is why I brought it up, the one Pete got 48" while the rest of us poured and dryslotted. The block looks as intense at least. Even without a TS should be an interesting evolution. Not boring

Archived