• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Who Needs Hazel When You Have Sandy

CT Rain

6Z/22 GFS appears to be a big whiff. Following the op trend (GFS). Euro ensemble mean is offshore but apparently alot of spread. What I'm more worried about is the delay in the colder pattern and the actual mitigation of it down the road. Like last October, is it worth losing winter over something like this? Not to me.

Frame this. Oh, so very true.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6Z/22 GFS appears to be a big whiff. Following the op trend (GFS). Euro ensemble mean is offshore but apparently alot of spread. What I'm more worried about is the delay in the colder pattern and the actual mitigation of it down the road. Like last October, is it worth losing winter over something like this? Not to me.

Hit the nail on the head...i dont want a mild down cool shot..followed by the one eye pig....lets hope this mess misses east and we get cold...we know how last october extremely odd storm work out for us

Upton likes the gfs which makes sense given the euros lack of support from its own ensembles

FOR SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY WEIGHED FORECAST MORE TOWARDS GFS/GFS

ENSEMBLE MEAN. THE ECMWF SEEMS TO BE HAVING ISSUES WITH

INTERACTIONS BETWEEN A FULL LATITUDE TROUGH OVER THE MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY WITH AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE OFF THE SE COAST. GIVEN THE

QUESTIONABLE NATURE OF THE INTERACTION AND THAT IT IS A MINORITY

SOLUTION...HAVE DISCOUNTED BOTH THE 12Z AND 00Z ECMWF IN THIS TIME

FRAME.

I don't think you should ignore one of the more high skilled data sets, but I would not take it verbatim being over 180-hrs out.

Agree...I think the chances of precipitation somewhere on the east coast in 7 days is getting higher. Some sort of rainfall looks to be gaining strength, but to think that locks in a major damaging event like a poster or two is :lol:

The evolution of the central Atlantic cut-off is also key. If it digs far enough south...it weakens the ridging to the northeast of the storm, allowing an escape route to the northeast, which is depicted on the GFS and Euro ensemble mean.

Something interesting that is tangentially related is that Bob Hart presentation about the Long Island Express that was posted a few weeks back with respect to extratropical evolution and track. Even our modern models ensemble solution waffled between an out to sea solution, a more inland solution and what eventually verified within 5 days. There is a very complex interaction between fully tropical vs. cold occlusion vs. warm occlusion/seclusion that can throw the models for a loop.

Until this this actually forms a system down in the Atlantic, all this is is model watching. Lay off the damage posts and weenie-casting.

Wouldn't that be hilarious if nothing formed in the tropics? lol.

That would be surprising given depth of the ensemble mean depictions of that low off the SE US Coast at day 4-5. It looks like a subtropical evolution to me, so not sure it would be a hurricane, anyway.

Considering that the Euro has been known to overdo the ridging (in this case, referring to the blocking ridge to the east of future Sandy), I'd be suspicious of its extreme solution right now. Something in between the GFS/Euro solutions seems most likely right now, though of course no solution is out of the realm of possibility.

Considering that the Euro has been known to overdo the ridging, I'd be suspicious of its extreme solution right now. Something in between the GFS/Euro solutions seems most likely right now, though of course no solution is out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah I would have to go with something to the east of us right now. Fair starting point.

Couple of thoughts? The tropical system to me is the big if...what if it doesnt develop or gets stuck over Cuba/Hispanola and is a disorganized mess?

Also, the Canadian has it coming inland over NC/VA--pretty far south of here--even Euro is more Del-marva hit so not sure what the SNE impact would be other than some rain and wind? maybe the mets can chime in on that scenario...

Couple of thoughts? The tropical system to me is the big if...what if it doesnt develop or gets stuck over Cuba/Hispanola and is a disorganized mess?

Also, the Canadian has it coming inland over NC/VA--pretty far south of here--even Euro is more Del-marva hit so not sure what the SNE impact would be other than some rain and wind? maybe the mets can chime in on that scenario...

There isn't much uncertainty in the tropical portion of the forecast. It seems highly likely that we'll have a low end hurricane or a strong tropical storm sitting over the Bahamas Friday morning. And then... who knows?

The Euro would still bring high winds to the coast, but strongest winds would be down in NJ and closer to NYC. Rain would be an issue on thewest side of the system where strong convergence and frontogenesis acts to squeeze all the moisture out.

The Euro would still bring high winds to the coast, but strongest winds would be down in NJ and closer to NYC. Rain would be an issue on thewest side of the system where strong convergence and frontogenesis acts to squeeze all the moisture out.

I thought this latest Euro run actually had a bit less baroclinic interaction than 12z yesterday. It maintained it's tropical characteristics longer and the midwest trough wasn't as sharp or negative.

There isn't much uncertainty in the tropical portion of the forecast. It seems highly likely that we'll have a low end hurricane or a strong tropical storm sitting over the Bahamas Friday morning. And then... who knows?

once again I disagree with this, at this point its far too early to even be calling for a TS to form let along a strong one or a cane by friday. I favor something subtropical over anything right now.

Archived