• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Mid/Long Range Discussion I

WilkesboroDude

Just sneeking another peek at 6z gfs LR. Still honking for a big cool down eastern US by months end. Average 1st killing frost here IMBY is 10/20. Not gonna happen this year. However the weather has been splendid. Upper 60's/70 every day and low-mid 40's at night. The leaves are starting to take off the past couple of days around here. Not sure with the delay of frost if will hit our peek Halloween day/first week of NOV or get delayed. Think diminishing sun angle plays important role on this process as much as the first avg frost. Should be able to test this theory out this year.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just sneeking another peek at 6z gfs LR. Still honking for a big cool down eastern US by months end. Average 1st killing frost here IMBY is 10/20. Not gonna happen this year. However the weather has been splendid. Upper 60's/70 every day and low-mid 40's at night. The leaves are starting to take off the past couple of days around here. Not sure with the delay of frost if will hit our peek Halloween day/first week of NOV or get delayed. Think diminishing sun angle plays important role on this process as much as the first avg frost. Should be able to test this theory out this year.

Here's the 6z for Halloween. Looks like a cold start to November; and more importantly some good snow cover build up in Canada.

gfs_namer_336_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Here's the 6z for Halloween. Looks like a cold start to November; and more importantly some good snow cover build up in Canada.

gfs_namer_336_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

I see something in the Caribbean there...it will probably shoot a sharp north-east turn though this time of year. GFS was showing a hurricane on Halloween for Florida and then.....nvm. Looks like it backed off on the doom.

I think it was the 99 - 2000 winter.we had some smaller snow events around GSP area in mid Nov for about 2 weeks and then winter was over

I think you meant 2000-2001. That was when we had the snow the weekend before Thanksgiving and a smaller event the weekend after the holiday. After that the winter was cold but we did not see any wintry precip.

The winter of 2000 featured several winter storms with one of them being the Carolina Crusher that gave me a foot of snow. That one did miss the I-85 area and northward though.

Dr Masters chimes in: Forecast for the winter...

In a nutshell, NOAA likes the SE (NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, MS, VA) to be normal temp wise; FL below normal. NOAA has the gulf states above normal precip; rest of the SE around normal. Dr Masters mentions the NAO/AO and solar activity and how the predicted activity for this winter would tend to argue for +AO. He also discusses how the low Artic sea ice argues for a better chance of a -AO and shifts his attention to El Nino and reading between the lines, I get the feeling he's expecting neutral condiitons to persist. I like one of the ending paragraphs were he talks about the unpredictability of winter and with the wild swings in recents years, the wildest swing this year would be for a normal winter across the US. He lastly mentions the upcoming woolley worm festival in Banner Elk. So, in honor of the good Dr, the woolley worms here in S Asheville are pretty consistent in being 2/3 brown- protraying a less than snowy winter for our area.

This is about 9 days from now (28th) but the GFS has it getting significantly COLDER, maybe even some flurries for the high elevations of NE GA/W. NC/E. TN? (Verbatim looks like a snowstorm for Western VA) It stays fairly cold all the way until Halloween. This is from the 6z GFS, I haven't looked at the 12z run for today yet.

post-6639-0-34765300-1350663232_thumb.gi

post-6639-0-86048400-1350663238_thumb.gi

This is about 9 days from now (28th) but the GFS has it getting significantly COLDER, maybe even some flurries for the high elevations of NE GA/W. NC/E. TN? (Verbatim looks like a snowstorm for Western VA) It stays fairly cold all the way until Halloween. This is from the 6z GFS, I haven't looked at the 12z run for today yet.

For the 6z verbatim I don't see snow for TN, NC mountains or western VA, it's just cold chasing moisture and the cold is far behind. 12z is only out to 72 for me...

Archived