joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Mid/Long Range Discussion I

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how back in 1993 the models caught onto and held the idea the superstorm "93" was going to take place and it ended up verefying. Seems like I heard from guys who had access to model data back then brag how much forwarning the models where putting out up to 5 days ahead of time. However fast forward to Jan 2000 and the models had no clue within 24 hours a big phase storm was gonna take place. Just shows how difficult it is to predict the weather, let alone these phased mega storms we all love to see unfold.

This is why it is so hard to take the models seriously. We want the big storm to happen that it shows 7 to 10 days out, but it hardly ever happens. And then we get the biggest snow ever in NC and the models didn't even show up within 24 hours of it happening. Whenever it comes to snow around here, no one knows what will happen, not even the models. But I think that is what is so much fun, the speculating, seeing if the models are actually going to get it right and seeing what actually happens.

And now we have model madness starting already. Should be a fun winter.

I'm more interested than yesterday as the blocking is impressive and would be pretty excited about something happening if I lived in New England as they could get big rains even without a direct hit if they get and inverted trough with any type of surface development north of the low even if it goes out to sea.

I like Wes's thinking ;)

Should we have a separate thread for Sandy now?

You would think we would have more confidence with Sandy by now, but in reality, Sandy has been moving at zero miles per hour, or stationary. She is still really far out, just now picking up to a whopper of a speed at 5mph NNE.

Start one if you think we need one, models take it awfully close to Florida.

If nobody else does, I might make one after it makes a few landfalls in the Caribbean, and takes on shear.

I contest this image! Ga. never has a straight line of demarcation between snow for all and non for us. I mean really... Columbia gets snow between the portals, and B'ham gets snow, but Ga. gets the shaft except for Rosie and NEGa? Not likely, lol.

This looks like a Burger Buggered map smile.png T

You know it's that crazy old GFS...once it gets past 240 it thinks it's back in the war.

I think we should start looking towards the middle of the month. This is out in la la land but the GFS has been consistent with a cool down around that period and someone may be able to squeak something out if it sets up well. So far 00z GFS had the best setup though as always the moisture looked to be coming in while the cold was going away. Again 360+ hours out so take with a boulder of salt.

Zn5bA.gif

1D6Ec.gif

dxQ7a.gif

Archived