• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

It is absolutely pouring out right now as the front moves through...no thunder but massive raindrops pounding down. Probably a decent rain rate for 5 minutes or so...wish i had a Davis station to calculate such things ;)

Yeah saw two lightning flashes with the mini line last night. Beautiful pictures Powder Freak - keep posting the eye candy I'll do the same

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never saw a radar last night but it was pouring at one point... looks like the Stowe CoCoRAHS observation is 0.35" last night through 7am this morning. We had 0.5" a couple nights ago from that previous FROPA, so its nice to see the dry pattern has sort of taken a step back with more frequent precipitation events here in north/central VT...

There’s definitely been an uptick in precipitation around here recently – I haven’t been able to mow the lawn for 2-3 weeks between the bouts of precipitation, early darkness, and other fall activities getting in the way. Fortunately it hasn’t really needed it because growth is so minimal. This last round of rain pushed us past 5 inches of liquid for the month, which is a substantial bump from July/August. September could be contending for wettest month of the year so far at our location, depending on what happens with the system going into the weekend.

There’s definitely been an uptick in precipitation around here recently – I haven’t been able to mow the lawn for 2-3 weeks between the bouts of precipitation, early darkness, and other fall activities getting in the way. Fortunately it hasn’t really needed it because growth is so minimal. This last round of rain pushed us past 5 inches of liquid for the month, which is a substantial bump from July/August. September could be contending for wettest month of the year so far at our location, depending on what happens with the system going into the weekend.

Yeah it looks like another 0.35-0.6" fell throughout our area last night...that makes the third rain event in that general QPF range in the last week to 10 days. No big washouts but just a general soaking rain every few days. That's a good frequency to start seeing heading into winter.

And what a beautiful morning...ground fog/mist with more substantial fog bank below 800ft. I was right on the edge of it and drove out of it quickly on the MTN road. Went up Edson Hill Rd to take a look back at the RT 100 corridor and it was fogged in all the way to Waterbury. Crystal clear air though above the fog and 40F on the car.

Awesome lenticular over Mansfield's Chin too...hope to post a couple pics this evening when I get home.

Just a drippy day yest, with a mere 0.07" able to keep the visiting grandkids off the lawn. Missed the evening Act II completely. The "early corner" along Route 2 in New Sharon is at peak and quite pretty - moist site that always turns about a week ahead of nearby spots. Elsewhere the change is in the range of 50-75% of peak. Another frost tonight would nudge it further. Since our usual peak is about a week into Oct, this year is still perhaps 4-5 days early.

Heading up to Crawford Notch, NH for the wknd. Weather looks crappy. Lotta disappointed leaf peepers for sure.

I would've been there hiking Saturday, but my ex has a medical issue and I need to take care of the kids for a few days. I'm disappointed because peak peeping is here and I wanted to experience it on the trail. Gotta wait til next week. Have fun while you're there .. .won't be a washout.

BTV is banking on no frost tonight and upper 30s for lows... but we're going to hit that before midnight as we are already in the mid 40s at 7pm and dropping like a rock.

I've got 46F right now at home and already some low 40s in the 1,000-2,000ft elevation band.

Clouds are going to be a problem at some point tonight. They're already into S VT/SLK.

Clouds are going to be a problem at some point tonight. They're already into S VT/SLK.

Yeah I just saw that... bummer cause this is the launch pad we need for the first freeze. Its already down to 43F which was this morning's low, so I'd assume we'll lower today's calendar day minimum before midnight. 9 out of the last 15 or 16 days now have had lows in the 30s, but never lower than 34F. Lots of 36-39F type stuff, and we just can't seem to crack that 34F barrier... however the good part about this time of year is its only a matter of time. Things get colder and more wintery for many months before we have to worry about hot/humid/hazy weather again...and that is exciting, lol.

Yeah I just saw that... bummer cause this is the launch pad we need for the first freeze. Its already down to 43F which was this morning's low, so I'd assume we'll lower today's calendar day minimum before midnight. 9 out of the last 15 or 16 days now have had lows in the 30s, but never lower than 34F. Lots of 36-39F type stuff, and we just can't seem to crack that 34F barrier... however the good part about this time of year is its only a matter of time. Things get colder and more wintery for many months before we have to worry about hot/humid/hazy weather again...and that is exciting, lol.

Yea, thats one thing I've noticed. It's been just oh so close to full launch for radiational cooling but there has always been one factor slightly off. Tonight it was a little extra mid level moisture (and I think moisture in the ground from rains earlier). A few other days it has been a slight uptick in southerly winds. KSLSK has reached 29 a few times but that place is a real cold air sink. I'm sure there is a band of warmer air around 2500 ft in the adk...as there usually is a band of warmer air around 1750ft here...just above the cold deck and below the cold summits...

we'll get there though. That's for sure.

Yeah I just saw that... bummer cause this is the launch pad we need for the first freeze. Its already down to 43F which was this morning's low, so I'd assume we'll lower today's calendar day minimum before midnight. 9 out of the last 15 or 16 days now have had lows in the 30s, but never lower than 34F. Lots of 36-39F type stuff, and we just can't seem to crack that 34F barrier...

Make that 11 out of the last 17 days (we got into the 30s prior to midnight to add yesterday and today to the 30s list)...

however... guess what the low was? Yep, 34F and fog. That's 3 days of 34F out of the 11 with lows in the 30s...still no freeze :)

I wonder if I can pull off a high in the 40s considering how early the rain began. 44.5 and -RA currently.

Dude classic CAD going on right now... I was at 50F but some -RN has started and down to 48F now while ME/NH and eastern VT are locked in the low to mid 40s. Champlain Valley is mid 50s. The usual climo gradient from west to east.

We can't compete with you guys further east in these CAD situations... you won't leave the 40s I bet today. No way with that slug of rain moving in and the current temps over eastern VT and NH.

Dude classic CAD going on right now... I was at 50F but some -RN has started and down to 48F now while ME/NH and eastern VT are locked in the low to mid 40s. Champlain Valley is mid 50s. The usual climo gradient from west to east.

We can't compete with you guys further east in these CAD situations... you won't leave the 40s I bet today. No way with that slug of rain moving in and the current temps over eastern VT and NH.

Do you think this has anything to do with the "CEILING RAGED" at KLEB?

Didn't know you could get raging ceilings or how to handle them in the TAF. ;)

We can't compete with you guys further east in these CAD situations... you won't leave the 40s I bet today. No way with that slug of rain moving in and the current temps over eastern VT and NH

Well we're up to 50.7F now, but it's been a beautifully miserable day. Currently at 20F HDD for the day if the temp stops climbing now.

Archived