• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Here is the first silver bismarck palm I found in Key West. Near the corner of Duval and South street by the Southernmost Hotel.

13942_172822445717_2584485_n.jpg

The nice thing about tropical plants is that they don't wither and die like common annuals as the season nears the end. They continue to get bigger and better until I brutally rip them out of the ground. The excavation begins in 9 days.

What a horrible ending, Do you feel any remorse afterword?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't consider 60's a torch

There will probably be a couple days of low 70s in there...especially if we peak some sun through. Plus most of the nights will be in that 48-55 range which is well above this time of year. It's not going to be days of sun with near 80 temps, but it's going to feel a lot milder than the pattern we've been in for the past few weeks.

There will probably be a couple days of low 70s in there...especially if we peak some sun through. Plus most of the nights will be in that 48-55 range which is well above this time of year. It's not going to be days of sun with near 80 temps, but it's going to feel a lot milder than the pattern we've been in for the past few weeks.

Tues looks to be the only run at 70 here as the rest of the week looks unsettled, When i think of torch its 70's-80's when we have had a stretch of 60's, I consider it more as seasonable weather, Those are my definitions anyways as far as this time of year goes.

Tues looks to be the only run at 70 here as the rest of the week looks unsettled, When i think of torch its 70's-80's when we have had a stretch of 60's, I consider it more as seasonable weather, Those are my definitions anyways as far as this time of year goes.

I bet we see more than just Tue push 70F in SW ME. We're heading into early October though...to me, the 60s we just had were seasonable...so now we're cruising back into the day after day of +5 means. The real killer will be the warm nights. Hopefully it comes to a halt this weekend.

I bet we see more than just Tue push 70F in SW ME. We're heading into early October though...to me, the 60s we just had were seasonable...so now we're cruising back into the day after day of +5 means. The real killer will be the warm nights. Hopefully it comes to a halt this weekend.

Well, Typically we will see another run of well above normal temps, It happens most years, The warmer nights do suck, Looking ahead it looks like that will be coming to an end though.

Well, Typically we will see another run of well above normal temps, It happens most years, The warmer nights do suck, Looking ahead it looks like that will be coming to an end though.

The warm nights are going to smoke us no matter what the days are...forecast has a lot of 45-55F tip lows which are +5 to +15 right now and getting larger.

Average temps here listed as 64/40...days like yesterday we were -8F on the high but +10 on the low for a +2 departure. Every low now of 50 or higher is going to cause a torch in departures...especially considering ave lows drop into the upper 30s in a couple days and continue to drop quickly.

My avg for today is 62/40, and with a low near 50 we'll finish about +2 with a mid 50s high. In 2 weeks the avg here drops to 56/35, and to 49/29 bythe end of the month.

Finally had some significant rain, perhaps 1/2" since 9 AM, after nearly 2 days of 0.01"/hr drippies. We'll fin9ish the month near 5", and at about -2.5. Given that Farmington's Septembers 1998-2011 have run nearly 1.5F above their 1981-2010 avg, I'd expect them to be near -1 for the month.

This last round of rain pushed us past 5 inches of liquid for the month, which is a substantial bump from July/August. September could be contending for wettest month of the year so far at our location, depending on what happens with the system going into the weekend.

With continued rain and another half inch in the bucket overnight, that’s close to six inches of liquid for the month, so this September period is now the wettest of the calendar year so far for our location. September’s liquid was roughly double the amount we saw for most months this season, so indeed that feels like a significant change in the precipitation pattern.

With continued rain and another half inch in the bucket overnight, that’s close to six inches of liquid for the month, so this September period is now the wettest of the calendar year so far for our location. September’s liquid was roughly double the amount we saw for most months this season, so indeed that feels like a significant change in the precipitation pattern.

Very upslope-like feel and look to the precipitation this morning, both on the ground and on radar. Got that very small droplet sheet drizzle/rain going on... the low QPF but you know in the winter with the usual snow growth we'd be accumulating.

Radar shows the general NW flow pattern, too. It doesn't look like its precipitating here on radar but it is lightly...probably light rains and mist blowing down wind from the spine.

Some moderate RA, perhaps 0.8" 2-5 PM, brought yesterday's total to 1.45". September as a whole had 5.70", 1.8" above the 15-yr avg and 3rd highest, though way behind the 11.42" of 1999 (Floyd, etc.) Month's avg temp was 54.05, 2.5F below my avg and 2nd coolest, behind the 53.77 of 2000. High was 77 on 13th & 14th, low was 27 on 29th. The month had 6 mornings at 32 or lower, 2nd only to the 8 in 2000. 1st-9th avg was +1.24, and the rest of the month was -3.9.

October also looks to begin with some above avg temps, 1st 4-5 days anyway ought to be +3- to +5.

Looks like 0.38" here from the latest round via the Stowe 2.8SSE spotter... I have no idea where the Stowe Village (0.2SW) spotter went but haven't seen a report out of him in a week. Guess I may have to get a rain gage, lol.

Either way, there was big upslope/convergence enhancement in Chittenden County from BTV lakeshore to the Spine of the Greens. A widespread 0.75-1.0" fell in that area last night and radar shows they continue to get more appreciable rains than the rest of the area.

You can see precipitation amounts dropped off from J.Spin's 0.50" on the Spine/County border and eastward... while west of the county line and Spine, the amounts are much higher.

Highest QPF amount in the state was the 1.03" on Mansfield's immediate NW slope.

Radar shows this... probably some lake/land convergence along with orographic lift/blocking. If this was December this would be one of those days you wake up and find out two feet of fluff fell overnight on the west slopes, lol.

DZ/RA- here all morning. 50/50

What a way to start the last Monday before our Fall Break...and naturally I'm sick as a dog and have a ton of stuff I need to get done before Friday!

At least we may eek out one nice day later this week and have it above 70F. If not, this would be a typical mid-late Fall week in the NEK with literally 7-10 days without a glimpse of the sun.....ugh

Man doesn't get more classic than this for precipitation spread during wrap-around moisture on WNW flow... maximums on the northwestern foothills of the Adirondacks and far northern Greens near Jay Peak, with minimums in the eastern Adirondacks and adjacent NY side of the Champlain Valley, along with eastern VT near the CT River Valley. Enhancement also in the VT Champlain Valley into the Spine, dropping off east of the Spine.

Every time we get a wrap-around or cut-off low to our north/east, you can just put up a QPF map like this and all you have to do is adjust the actual values... but the placements of heaviest to lightest will always be about the same.

It looks like the ever changing New England weather will be no more for my wife and I come the end of November. My wife and I are moving to Pennsylvania to be closer to family members due to my wife's health issues. It's going to be hard leaving Maine and the wonderful friends we have made. I have had some epic and some not so epic winters while living here on the midcoast. Central PA winters are not too bad, but I will miss the raging gales and blizzards that made me the weather weenie that I am. As far as this NE regional weather board goes, even though I have only met a few of you, I feel like I know each and every one of you like a true friend and I will miss all of you. I will stop by on occasion and drool over the models of upcoming snowstorms for Northern New England, and remember back to the awesome winters that makes New England so special.

It looks like the ever changing New England weather will be no more for my wife and I come the end of November. My wife and I are moving to Pennsylvania to be closer to family members due to my wife's health issues. It's going to be hard leaving Maine and the wonderful friends we have made. I have had some epic and some not so epic winters while living here on the midcoast. Central PA winters are not too bad, but I will miss the raging gales and blizzards that made me the weather weenie that I am. As far as this NE regional weather board goes, even though I have only met a few of you, I feel like I know each and every one of you like a true friend and I will miss all of you. I will stop by on occasion and drool over the models of upcoming snowstorms for Northern New England, and remember back to the awesome winters that makes New England so special.

Sorry to hear about your wife's medical issues ... hope all works out and will miss your obs, pics and videos from the midcoast. Good luck. :)

Sorry to hear about your wife's medical issues ... hope all works out and will miss your obs, pics and videos from the midcoast. Good luck. :)

I echo these thoughts. It's tough to lose any of the NNE crew, there are so few of us.

I echo these thoughts. It's tough to lose any of the NNE crew, there are so few of us.

Echo and re-echo all of the above. The geographic span of Maine posters will shrink even further. Maybe Red (BGR area) and Vim Toot will return with the snow, but removing Bath makes the state's representation even more limited in areal coverage, with regular posts from only 4 of 16 counties.

My thoughts exactly. I know I have spent too much time looking at your webcam during storms. I hope the move goes well for all.

Archived