• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
New England Autumn Photos and Scenery

moneypitmike

What a beautiful shot. I didn't know beaches like that existed in mid-coast Maine. Was up in Searsport earlier this Summer, and while it was very nice, it certainly didn't look like that.

There are a few but a bit far between. Popham Beach in Phippsburg is one, Mile Beach in Georgetown another (where I took my photo) and there are a couple small ones near Tenants Harbor that I know of. There might be some others, but again, certainly not many.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few but a bit far between. Popham Beach in Phippsburg is one, Mile Beach in Georgetown another (where I took my photo) and there are a couple small ones near Tenants Harbor that I know of. There might be some others, but again, certainly not many.

IMO, some of the best beaches in the state of Maine at Popham and Reid State Parks. No as many folks at these beaches during the summer months as there are further down the coast. After Labor Day, you can pretty much go to the beach and have much of it to yourself. Great place to watch nor'easters during the fall months. Popham Beach looks different every year due to shifting sands. Besides, not too many beaches where can you walk to an island during low tide to explore (Fox Islands).

I took a sunday afternoon drive with my son to the top of Soapstone Mtn, which is a 1,075' peak north of where I live. There is a firetower at the summit that offered us unobstructed views of the Connecticut River Valley, Springfield, the Metacomet Range and even Mt Greylock off in the far Northwest direction. Fall foilage color change is about 1-10% right now with peak about 2-3 weeks away.

Sodom Road Pond:

PD_zps8a8ddb3c.jpg

View from the summit firetower with downtown Springfield roughly in the center of this picture:

SFLD_zps0a455deb.jpg

I took a sunday afternoon drive with my son to the top of Soapstone Mtn, which is a 1,075' peak north of where I live. There is a firetower at the summit that offered us unobstructed views of the Connecticut River Valley, Springfield, the Metacomet Range and even Mt Greylock off in the far Northwest direction. Fall foilage color change is about 1-10% right now with peak about 2-3 weeks away.

Sodom Road Pond:

PD_zps8a8ddb3c.jpg

View from the summit firetower with downtown Springfield roughly in the center of this picture:

SFLD_zps0a455deb.jpg

Never realized you could see that far from Coventry. I rmeember playing in a soccer game there when I was a little kid. Not sure why we New Londers would be playing you guys in an 8-year old league. Or, maybe I'm not remembering right, after all, that's nearly 40 years ago.

Funny--I lived in Bath and went to Reid frequently (though Popham moreso) and never heard of it. Great shots and a beautiful area.

Thanks again--meant to say nice shots yourself. ;)

Anyhow, yeah it's just a little rock island right off of Griffith Head at the NE end of Mile Beach. Here's the old 1:62,500 USGS topo look at where it is:

http://docs.unh.edu/ME/btby57sw.jpg

Sweet, looking good.

Yeah now still have a decent bit of green so peak is at least a week away (my guess is its between next weekend and Columbus Day weekend) which is just about average. Usually its Columbus Day weekend up here for peak foliage viewing in the mountains, though the highest elevations will be brown in 2 weeks. Columbus Day weekend is usually the best combo between peak in the mountain villages and elevations (generally like 700-2000ft).

What I think will happen is we are sort of seeing the first of two peaks... some species have gone red/orange already and in another 10 days will probably be past, whereas there's still another half that's mostly light green waiting to change...those will be the second peak.

Colors are really popping here in NE CT and I suspect that they will be even better in a week or two. Seems we are a bit early to me as I recall peak being about 10/15 and we usually do our "final" clean-up by 11/1.

The first photo is looking south out of my neighborhood. The second is from my wife's hospital room - she was admitted to our local hospital on Friday but is thankfully home now. The hospital is in the hills between Stafford Springs and the CT River Valley. The third photo is in West Stafford and the last photo is along one of the back roads I can take home.

Sure looks pretty to me! I appreciate everyone sharing their photos, especially PF since he seems to have a better camera & eye than I do.

Thanks for the comments guys... I love all the shots from other areas of New England, too. Good to see whats going on elsewhere in the foliage department.

Since the fireworks are going off right now, I'm making an effort to take a few pics every couple days, rain or shine. Today it was raining, dark, and dreary but that seems to make the colors stand out even more against the gray background. These photos are all from around town and not up at the ski resort... 700-900ft elevation band.

IMG_7836_edited-2.jpg

IMG_7843_edited-2.jpg

IMG_7854_edited-2.jpg

And these last two are panoramic shots of what the foliage looks like on a larger scale here in town... I mean its just color from wall-to-wall and as far as the eye can see. Truly one of the better falls I can remember for foliage.

IMG_7867_edited-2.jpg

IMG_7874_edited-2.jpg

Archived