joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a day out there--roaring southerlies, leaves flying, upper 60s....

Foliage has kicked in a fair bit around here over the past week. Overall though, pretty dull out there this year. I kind of had a hunch going into the fall that it might be a muted color season and so far, that seems to be the case. I'd chalk it up to a very early spring and a somewhat dry summer.

Quite a day out there--roaring southerlies, leaves flying, upper 60s....

Foliage has kicked in a fair bit around here over the past week. Overall though, pretty dull out there this year. I kind of had a hunch going into the fall that it might be a muted color season and so far, that seems to be the case. I'd chalk it up to a very early spring and a somewhat dry summer.

Been pretty muted in town so far, but I noticed at the ski resort today some much more vibrant colors are showing up all the sudden. I've got Monday off and am hoping to take the camera for a bit and try to get some shots. Each year I think its going to be lackluster but there's always that grand finale before they all fall off, that seems to exceed my low expectations.

Either way, even if it turns out to be a dude, I bet there'll be a 3-4 days stretch when everything is going off... and it'll be soon. Already getting close to peak up above like 1,500ft.

WIn some, lose some. Tried to grab a foliage pic of the basin at the border and the LT's terminus, the front came in quick, deep murk, light rain, nice walk. dropped 10F pretty quickly which was nice, it scorched up here with those southerlies up to 78F before the clouds started rolling thorugh.

Not the best, but some brighter colors emerging on the NW flank of Burnt Mt. The pic blows, but the upper elevations of N Jay are showing some good quilt like viewing.

IMG_3089_zps1ecef00b.jpg

I know what you mean Allenson, the maples in the yard look a bit off so far, there are tinges of brightness coming through, still have 2 weeks, we'll see, it's always a great show!

Each year I think its going to be lackluster but there's always that grand finale before they all fall off, that seems to exceed my low expectations.

I know what you mean Allenson, the maples in the yard look a bit off so far, there are tinges of brightness coming through, still have 2 weeks, we'll see, it's always a great show!

I'm with you guys. Even during a dull year, there's always a stretch of at least a few days where everything really pops and the hills look like they're covered in fruity pebbles. ;)

And yeah, last year wasn't one of the banner years either but I seem to remember two years ago was--la epic.

Picked up 0.25" last night with the front.

Looks like another nice one today!

Whiteface facebook page says they had a snow shower this afternoon?

They very well could've had something frozen at 4000ft...straight snow flakes is a bit harder to believe. There were some lake effect showers across northern NY but my guess is grauple or some ice pellet like precip. The snow growth zone is wayyyyyy up there and the more shallow lake moisture makes it hard to believe there would be actual flakes.

But it's not out of the realm of possibilities...it was cold up high today.

Another light frost, #4 this month, though this one was already softening as I left the house, because clouds had rolled in. It was 42 and plummeting at 9 last evening, so this morning's 31-32 was meh.

Colors around my place look similar to PF's latest pic, with a few bright red maples and the rest of the trees (except aspen and oak) showing some change.

They very well could've had something frozen at 4000ft...straight snow flakes is a bit harder to believe. There were some lake effect showers across northern NY but my guess is grauple or some ice pellet like precip. The snow growth zone is wayyyyyy up there and the more shallow lake moisture makes it hard to believe there would be actual flakes.

But it's not out of the realm of possibilities...it was cold up high today.

From some trusted soruces I can report it was more of the rime-y icy non-liquid precip stuff than straight up snowfakes.

BUt it wasn't rain or hail.

From some trusted soruces I can report it was more of the rime-y icy non-liquid precip stuff than straight up snowfakes.

BUt it wasn't rain or hail.

Sounds about right. Pretty much what the summits usually get around this time of year. Frozen but not flakes. Early season variety of those dippin' dot things we get, lol.

Sounds about right. Pretty much what the summits usually get around this time of year. Frozen but not flakes. Early season variety of those dippin' dot things we get, lol.

I do love skiing on dippin dot snow. I skied 4 inches of graupel in Utah once. Some of the best schussing ever. Like corn snow AND powder snow in one.

Had a downpour earlier today here in Hanover, NH. Not sure about at home. Didn't look like it on radar, but perhaps.

Cold pool aloft, ftw.

And, you know the motorcycle commuting season is winding down when amongst the many things seen on a 30 mile morning ride, wood smoke billowing forth from folk's chimneys is one of them. :bike:

Stuck at 37 last night. No frost, not precip. Just clouds ruining what would have been a great rad cooling night.

Colors are progressing nicely. If we keep up the cold nights and dry days, foliage should be pretty awesome this year. I'd say about 75% of the trees are showing some form of change, while 25% are still totally green

Archived