wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight has been coming in cooler and cooler on MOS, but Mon morn may prevail as the cooler morning. MOS has a freeze at HIE for both mornings with the coolest being the MET Mon AM with 29F. It gets BML down to 29F as well. They should be near a lock for their first freezes imo. CON and LEB could be frosty as well, but I think I'll have to wait a little longer here. Maybe I'll at least get a little ice on the truck.

LOL, I was just wondering if you 'bilers ever encountered them out on the trail. My guess was 'yes'. ;)

And us skiers run into them too... last year was the second time I've skied up on one. A couple years back I came across a young one and mother, saw them downhill with enough lead time to get them a wide berth.

Last year I had the joy of skiing down while the thing crashed through the woods alongside me..."all I wanted to do was pet it..."

Looks chilly tonight but I'm not sold here... BTV has issued frost/freeze warnings for the spots that are climatologically a step colder than there (NE VT and Adirondacks). This area down towards Montpelier and the RT 100 corridor south along the Greens in ski country is very prone to fog and it sounds like they expect fog to limit the extent of frost in VT.

BTV's forecast minimum temperatures tonight:

image.png

Are you hiking Mt. Washington tomorrow?

Sounds like fun!

Tonight:

In and out of the clouds trending towards clearing under mostly cloudy skies.

Lows: mid 20s; Wind chills 0-10 degrees°F

Wind: NW 45-60 mph w/ higher gusts

Tomorrow:

In the clear under mostly sunny skies.

Highs: mid 30s; Wind chills 10-20 degrees°F

Wind: NW 35-50 mph w/ higher gusts likely

Sounds like fun!

Tonight:

In and out of the clouds trending towards clearing under mostly cloudy skies.

Lows: mid 20s; Wind chills 0-10 degrees°F

Wind: NW 45-60 mph w/ higher gusts

Tomorrow:

In the clear under mostly sunny skies.

Highs: mid 30s; Wind chills 10-20 degrees°F

Wind: NW 35-50 mph w/ higher gusts likely

I know. I'm screwed. I have no gear for that up here at college. Might have to go to Walmart today and buy some gloves and stuff.

And the very next day the forecast is for 63F and sunny...which would be amazing. At least I'll get the full Mt Washington experience? :axe:

I know. I'm screwed. I have no gear for that up here at college. Might have to go to Walmart today and buy some gloves and stuff.

And the very next day the forecast is for 63F and sunny...which would be amazing. At least I'll get the full Mt Washington experience? :axe:

Is this the met program hike or are you going up with a group of friends?

What do the ECWMF ensembles say in the 11-15 day?

The Greenland blocking breaks down by d15...we keep some ridging into W Canada and weak troughing through the Great Lakes up into Hudson bay, but the flow is less meridional than the d10 mean. Some of that is the nature of an ens mean smoothing the flow out more with time, but there's probably some truth to flattening the flow a bit more. Maybe the -NAO is being broken down a bit too early?

met program.

Leaving at 5:30am. :cry:

I remember them postponing it before for (ironically) weather. Hopefully everyone knows what to expect tomorrow above the treeline. 8am temp at the summit should be in the 20s with winds around 50mph. I'm sure there will be at least one dumbass in shorts and sandals.

I remember them postponing it before for (ironically) weather. Hopefully everyone knows what to expect tomorrow above the treeline. 8am temp at the summit should be in the 20s with winds around 50mph. I'm sure there will be at least one dumbass in shorts and sandals.

Honestly, even for Mt. Washington, can't get much colder then its gonna be tomorrow for a Mid-September hike. I'm looking forward to it though. Originally on Monday the forecast was 38/57 for Sunday. I checked everyday and it got worse and worse. :lol:

lol .... as a matter of fact I did come across one chap wearing shorts as he was on final approach to the summit. It was 36F with 50 mph winds. Though he was hiking with the wind to his back at that particular point.

Speaking of hiking, the freshman and sophomores at LSC hiked mt. Pisgah (~2,700ft) near lake willoughby yesterday and I went along as a peernet upperclassman and teacher assistant. Amazing day for it.

(Looking east toward Burke Mtn. and the Presidential Range in NH).

B0DF0967-A9D2-46AF-BD65-D09C3D76DFCF-69174-000025604DB4DC0B.jpg

Willoughby is my favorite lake. I have permission from wife to divorce her if a woman who owns a house on that lake ever takes an interest in me. LOL!

I was going to with everyone, but our AMS president decided against it because MWN is gonna be 38F with winds 50-60..aka not good for

hiking. He said he emailed your president about it last night.

Just got an email today saying it was on ...but honestly I'm surprised. Conditions are going to be pretty rough.

Ryan (weatherMA) better be careful on MWN today. 0.4" snow this morning and temps near 30F with winds gusting to 80.

Meanwhile it got down to 35F here even with the cloudiness we had at 1AM when I went to bed.

80mph gusts and icy rocks ... I'd skip it. Probably take pics of the summit from the Lakes of the Clouds hut instead and maybe tool around Monroe and Franklin if the footing was good.

80mph gusts and icy rocks ... I'd skip it. Probably take pics of the summit from the Lakes of the Clouds hut instead and maybe tool around Monroe and Franklin if the footing was good.

And no offense to college kids (I was one recently) but you know there are a few that showed up completely unprepared...like shorts and a t-shirt with crocs or something, like they were going for a walk on a paved path in the valley at 70F.

Archived