joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both MOS products have a freeze Tue morning for SLK, BML, and HIE. It should be plenty calm in those valleys with the sfc ridge axis cresting overhead that AM.

12z products for VT sites on Tuesday morning:

NAM MOS

BTV...44F

MVL...37F

MPV...41F

1V4...40F

DDH...39F

RUT...41F

GFS MOS

BTV...40F

MVL...35F

MPV...36F

1V4...37F

DDH...36F

RUT...39F

Looks like GFS is a good 2-5F colder depending on the site, but it would make a big difference in frost potential. If everyone is 35-36F there could be some patchy frost, but its not an issue if everyone is 39-41F.

12z products for VT sites on Tuesday morning:

NAM MOS

BTV...44F

MVL...37F

MPV...41F

1V4...40F

DDH...39F

RUT...41F

GFS MOS

BTV...40F

MVL...35F

MPV...36F

1V4...37F

DDH...36F

RUT...39F

Looks like GFS is a good 2-5F colder depending on the site, but it would make a big difference in frost potential. If everyone is 35-36F there could be some patchy frost, but its not an issue if everyone is 39-41F.

I'd like to be closer to the GFS. Maybe kill off some skeeters.

Low of 46F prior to midnight, then temps jumped up into the low 50s with NW flow orographic clouds, and eventually rain this morning. Have picked up only 0.05" or so of rain, but its like a steady drizzle... in December this would be our upslope fluff with huge dendrites floating down, haha.

No mention of rain in the forecast but MVL is showing -RN with 0.03" last hour, too. Its about time we see some NW flow CAA upslope precip, haha.

56/47 here at 2:30pm...rough day with OVC and brisk NW winds. Wondering if the clouds over this way may limit overnight lows to ~40F with some upper 30s in sheltered valleys?

I'm wondering if clouds will be an issue...starting to think they will. As the sun just went down, there was still probably 75% cloud cover so that's gotta dissipate quickly this evening. Also, NW winds continue to blow but hopefully they'll die off with an inversion forming.

Was a very cold day at the Cliff House at 3,700ft... first day of wearing long underwear this season. Temp near 40F all afternoon with wind gusts to 40mph and higher causing wind chills in the 20s. That push of colder air at H85 really meant business as the temperature never rose and even fell a bit today (started at 43F this morning).

I'm wondering if clouds will be an issue...starting to think they will. As the sun just went down, there was still probably 75% cloud cover so that's gotta dissipate quickly this evening. Also, NW winds continue to blow but hopefully they'll die off with an inversion forming.

Was a very cold day at the Cliff House at 3,700ft... first day of wearing long underwear this season. Temp near 40F all afternoon with wind gusts to 40mph and higher causing wind chills in the 20s. That push of colder air at H85 really meant business as the temperature never rose and even fell a bit today (started at 43F this morning).

We have some NVA moving in and drier air advecting in around H85. We should start to get some clearing by midnight. If you load an IR loop you'll see the clouds dissipating in QB/N NY behind the exiting s/w trough.

Wind was still fairly steady at my place at 9 last night, with temp 49. At 5 this morning it had dropped only to 46-47, probably due to continuing air movement, but then plummeted to 40 (maybe 39) by 6:30. Would not surprise me if tomorrow morning were a couple degrees cooler, as I expect the wind to be gone all night.

Only the swamp maples and a few distressed trees showing much color in my area, though the white birch next to the driveway has (as usual) lost about 1/3 of its leaves.

Had to replace the battery in my VP2's ISS again. Maybe the solar panel isn't as efficient as it once was. It's not shiny and black anymore-- it's all cloudy and gray.

The transmitter itself is in rough shape too-- starting to warp and get brittle. The plastic tab you lift to open it up snapped off. I guess 6 years is a pretty good lifespan for plastic that sits in the sun all year.

I wonder what would happen if I plugged the ISS temp/humidity sensor into their regular add-on temp stations. Curious if it'd still report in tenths of a degree.

Had to replace the battery in my VP2's ISS again. Maybe the solar panel isn't as efficient as it once was. It's not shiny and black anymore-- it's all cloudy and gray.

The transmitter itself is in rough shape too-- starting to warp and get brittle. The plastic tab you lift to open it up snapped off. I guess 6 years is a pretty good lifespan for plastic that sits in the sun all year.

I wonder what would happen if I plugged the ISS temp/humidity sensor into their regular add-on temp stations. Curious if it'd still report in tenths of a degree.

The black energizer batteries I use suck compared to the old blue ones. The temp station only reports whole numbers. If you plug the steel probe into the ISS it should be in tenths.

Ever consider a full station refurb from davis?

Archived