joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

45 miles southeast in Northfield we heard two rumbles just before getting out on the golf course. We waited the the requisite 30 minutes after the last rumble and played 9 in increasingly nice conditions, blue sky by the time we finished just after 7:00.

Wow, you wait for that? I played 9 last night (last night of league) with rumbles the whole time. Numerous bolts visable aslo, but nothing too close. During dinner at the clubhouse there were some real close strikes. We would have finished in the dry if the 6some in front of us actually moved along.

Wow, you wait for that? I played 9 last night (last night of league) with rumbles the whole time. Numerous bolts visable aslo, but nothing too close. During dinner at the clubhouse there were some real close strikes. We would have finished in the dry if the 6some in front of us actually moved along.

League nights are the worst for slow play, 2 1/2 hr 9's, You would think people were playing for the green jacket

League nights are the worst for slow play, 2 1/2 hr 9's, You would think people were playing for the green jacket

I am careful about lightning. I used to be a bit more carefree until the night I was over a shot with a shiny, brand new, Cleveland wedge while there were frequent rumbles of thunder and was startled by the reflection of a bolt off the club. Also, a few years ago a girl playing softball in this area was struck and killed by a bolt even though the sky above the field was blue and the thunder was off in the distance. I don't mess around with lightning.

As for slow play in league, there are some nights when 2 1/2 hours would be nice! Our league ended last Thursday and its getting tougher to get 9 in after work if there are any hodlpups or slow play.

I am careful about lightning. I used to be a bit more carefree until the night I was over a shot with a shiny, brand new, Cleveland wedge while there were frequent rumbles of thunder and was startled by the reflection of a bolt off the club. Also, a few years ago a girl playing softball in this area was struck and killed by a bolt even though the sky above the field was blue and the thunder was off in the distance. I don't mess around with lightning.

As for slow play in league, there are some nights when 2 1/2 hours would be nice! Our league ended last Thursday and its getting tougher to get 9 in after work if there are any hodlpups or slow play.

I don't as well, We have numerous lightning strikes at our course, One night lightning struck the flag stick on hole 13 blew the flag into a bizzillion pieces and left what look like a spider web in a 30' radius in the green where it went into the ground , Our league ended a week ago tues, And the last group came in in the dark

Yeah don't miss around with lightning... we hear thunder at the ski resort, even if the suns out, its an immediate weather hold/shut down of all activities. We also have some of the best spotters around in the Green Mountain Club workers who patrol the ridgeline, they'll always call over the radio if anything is approaching. You wouldn't believe how often chairlifts get hit by lightning...actually maybe you can because obviously a big metal chairlift with towers that go up to 60 feet off the ground at 3-4K is going to be a pretty easy target for lightning, but that's why you don't want to play around... you hear thunder, any man made structure high on the mountain is pretty much a bullseye for a strike.

And hiking... if you are caught above treeline on the ridgeline in an electrical storm... that's really bad news. That's when you start running really fast.

First time since last spring that I've seen 30s in the forecast here... Lamoille County zone forecast showing upper 30s for Monday night and Tuesday night in the mountain valleys:

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.

Monday: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.

Monday Night Through Tuesday Night: Clear. Lows in the upper 30s. Highs in the upper 60s.

Wednesday Through Thursday: Clear. Highs in the upper 70s. Lows in the upper 40s.

The point 'n click forecast for here at 800ft is showing 37F on Monday night and 39F on Tuesday night. MVL might be able to get a light frost if the ASOS can sneak down to 35-36F out there in the field.

And up at 2,000ft... the point 'n click shows freezing temperatures on Monday night.

The step down process continues... sorry Eek ;)

The step down process continues... sorry Eek ;)

:cry:

We've reached that time of the year when I seem to lose my daytime heating way faster than a few miles over at LCI. They're 82 and I have 74.6 here. Might just go over there and bask in the parking lot.

83.6 for a high.

Also reached that time of the year when the gardens are past peak and I start to lose interest, so I'm fine with cheering on tomorrows extreme severe hall-of-fame high end storms of apocalypse.

:cry:

We've reached that time of the year when I seem to lose my daytime heating way faster than a few miles over at LCI. They're 82 and I have 74.6 here. Might just go over there and bask in the parking lot.

83.6 for a high.

Also reached that time of the year when the gardens are past peak and I start to lose interest, so I'm fine with cheering on tomorrows extreme severe hall-of-fame high end storms of apocalypse.

You are one cell away from having your tropical garden decimated saturday

I can walk 18 holes in 2 hours by myself, but a 2.5 hour 9 hole league night is making good time. Then the guys complain that "I think I got 9.5 points but you only gave me 9". If you are good enough to worry about that you shouldn't be playing here.

Sorry for the OT. Beautiful pics everyone.

And the 30's have made their debut here with 39 forcast for Monday night/tuesday morning. Getting closer. I have acutally been down to 40.3° during the last "warm down" so the 30's seem fairly likely this time.

Allenson. get yourselves over to the Osprey, you'll enjoy the atmosphere and the food.

What do you know--ate there last night. Had a huge burger after a day of kayaking in the New Meadows River and swimming in the very high surf at Reid State Park. Ate at the Grey Havens the night before. A rather different setting there, shall we say? ;)

Heading home today. Hoping to beat the weather but not so sure we'll be able to or not...

Pics to follow.

Mt. Tripyramid in the Sandwich Range is the coolest sounding mountain name.

A very cool name. As seen from Waterville Valley in February of 2008:

2326299549_b7ceed94fe_z.jpg

Allenson- Nice. My daughter had a blast getting blasted at reid. It was nice being reminded how fun playing chicken with the white water was/is, kinda forgot over time. Some good energy in that wave break.

nice pic by the way.

PF- what's facebook?

spooky morning out in the woods, trees were creaking hard and the show hasn't begun. all the trees still leaning hard to the north. sounds like quite an afternoon, with the right kite board you might make it to Richmond.

Mount Mansfield had some decent winds... highest reported was 49G65 so not bad to see sustained winds near 50mph.

Line of storms was definitely "weak sauce" as dendrite said... we had stronger southerly winds all afternoon out ahead of the squall line. It actually reminded me a bit of the tropics with the humidity and warm, stiff breeze (always seems windy every time I've been down to Florida and the Keys).

Winds actually shut down as soon as it started raining; BTV mentioned this might happen as the boundary layer stabilizes with the precipitation. Interesting. I figured the precipitation would help mix wind down, though I guess after any evaporational cooling is done, there's no real mechanism to transport the momentum downward.

Also not as cold as I thought it would be... currently 62F at the house and no idea on dew point as MVL has gone off-line.

I figured we'd drop quickly into the 50s but its just sort of plateaued (forgot how many vowels in a row that word has in it) in the low 60s... and the Champlain Valley is all sitting in the mid 60s so its not like there's some push of low level cold coming out of Canada. I guess we aren't quite to that time of year when we see big, immediate low level temperature changes behind the fronts. I always later in the fall or early winter (like November) how you can be in the 50s and then get a FROPA and it drops to the 20s within like 2-3 hours... those fronts where there's no real lag time between cooling aloft and at the surface.

Also not as cold as I thought it would be... currently 62F at the house and no idea on dew point as MVL has gone off-line.

I figured we'd drop quickly into the 50s but its just sort of plateaued (forgot how many vowels in a row that word has in it) in the low 60s... and the Champlain Valley is all sitting in the mid 60s so its not like there's some push of low level cold coming out of Canada. I guess we aren't quite to that time of year when we see big, immediate low level temperature changes behind the fronts. I always later in the fall or early winter (like November) how you can be in the 50s and then get a FROPA and it drops to the 20s within like 2-3 hours... those fronts where there's no real lag time between cooling aloft and at the surface.

Hey

That 72 at Rangeley on PF's map was amazing for a Sept evening. I was still at 70 at my 9 PM obs time, with very light rain, felt quit tropical. TS came thru just before 10 with 5 minutes of very hvy RA, probably 0.3" of the 0.41" from that storm, and the roaring S wind quieted down as the heavier rain ended, also a few blinks in the power. Total by this morning was 0.54", which includes 0.08" from yest morning's little TS. Much nicer air this AM, with temps mid 50s. Maybe flirt with 32 Tues morning? Probably not, but should make it into the 30s.

Archived