joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to replace the battery in my VP2's ISS again. Maybe the solar panel isn't as efficient as it once was. It's not shiny and black anymore-- it's all cloudy and gray.

The transmitter itself is in rough shape too-- starting to warp and get brittle. The plastic tab you lift to open it up snapped off. I guess 6 years is a pretty good lifespan for plastic that sits in the sun all year.

I wonder what would happen if I plugged the ISS temp/humidity sensor into their regular add-on temp stations. Curious if it'd still report in tenths of a degree.

My VP2 is 8 years old and I had to replace the board on it last year cause it was going through batts like every couple months. Turns out the board had a short. Ordered a new one. Think it was $75. No issues since. If the little LED light inside is not blinking, you've likely got a short.

Only bottomed out to 49.5F this a.m. Too much wind last night

The black energizer batteries I use suck compared to the old blue ones. The temp station only reports whole numbers. If you plug the steel probe into the ISS it should be in tenths.

Ever consider a full station refurb from davis?

I've been using Panasonic batteries... I get a 10 pack from Amazon.

I knew they would recalibrate but didn't know they'd refurbish. It sounds like it'd be pricey since I'd assume they must place the existing sensors into a new housing and give it a new transmitter. I was thinking of just getting a new ISS but it appears they don't sell them anymore. They even have the replacement temp/hum board listed as discontinued.

They still have plenty of overpriced 4" fans in stock, though. I should probably pick one up since mine is probably going to fail as soon as a deep snowdrift settles around the station. The first one lasted 3 years so I'm due.

My VP2 is 8 years old and I had to replace the board on it last year cause it was going through batts like every couple months. Turns out the board had a short. Ordered a new one. Think it was $75. No issues since. If the little LED light inside is not blinking, you've likely got a short.

Only bottomed out to 49.5F this a.m. Too much wind last night

Hrm. I'll take a closer look at mine.

49.4 for a low here.

36.4F here at LSC last night....FG didn't set in until 6AM here at 1,050ft, so we successfully cooled radiationally (slightly warmer 39F at 1V4 due to that fog setting in earlier). Also, the airmass over NNE was pretty damn cold for September 10 with temps 7-9C at 850 with a significant inversion in the lower levels due to that radiational cooling.

post-1818-0-06849200-1347387136_thumb.gi

Looks like dendrite FTW on this one ... IZG down to only 40F at 5:00 obs.

Probably had the same 38 this AM as I recorded yesterday, the better radiational conditions exactly counterbalanced by the milder air upstairs. Last two days were 62/40 and 67/38, perfect Sept wx; today will (has) reach(ed) the 70s. Tomorrow could be something like 80/45.

Warm one out there this afternoon and yep, looks to be summery for the next few. No worries--I'm still working on getting the house sided before winter and am far from done riding the 'cycle. ;)

40F here at LSC. Back to summer til Saturday! Wouldn't be surprised if someone hit 83-85F in the CPV tomorrow with 850's nearing 16C.

39 here two mornings ago (first 30s) and 42 this morning.

Probably had the same 38 this AM as I recorded yesterday, the better radiational conditions exactly counterbalanced by the milder air upstairs. Last two days were 62/40 and 67/38, perfect Sept wx; today will (has) reach(ed) the 70s. Tomorrow could be something like 80/45.

Yesterday was indeed 38, then jumped to a high of 73. Low 40s (42? did not look at the max-min) this AM, with a slight chance to have a 40F diurnal rise. Have not seen a cloud, except for radiational fog, in 3 days.

After my meeting with my forecast advisor, we both agreed that Sunday into Monday has the potential for a lot of sheltered hollows and possibly even river valleys to get their first freeze here in NNE. Lots of radaitional cooling and calm winds that may over perform. NWS has actually already picked up on it as well, despite MOS being in the upper 30s.

After my meeting with my forecast advisor, we both agreed that Sunday into Monday has the potential for a lot of sheltered hollows and possibly even river valleys to get their first freeze here in NNE. Lots of radaitional cooling and calm winds that may over perform. NWS has actually already picked up on it as well, despite MOS being in the upper 30s.

I'm not sure on freeze but maybe scattered frost, I sort of think it'll be close to that other morning with upper 30s widespread. I could see maybe some hollows but doubt the river valleys get it yet. Its still a bit early for freeze...maybe some 35-36F frosts or something.

HOWEVER...THE COLD FRONT WILL BRING FALL-LIKE

TEMPERATURES TO THE REGION ON SATURDAY WITH HIGHS MAINLY IN THE

60S. SATURDAY NIGHT SKIES WILL BECOME CLEAR WITH TEMPERATURES

FALLING INTO THE 30S TO LOWER 40S LATE SATURDAY NIGHT. HAVE

INCLUDED A MENTION OF PATCHY FROST LATE SATURDAY NIGHT ACROSS

PORTIONS OF THE ADIRONDACKS AND THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY...AS

WELL AS PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST VERMONT. HAVE ALSO INCLUDED SOME

AREAS OF PATCHY DENSE VALLEY FOG IN THE SHELTERED VALLEYS OF

EASTERN AND NORTHEAST VERMONT LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...AS CLEAR SKIES

AND NEARLY CALM WINDS WILL LEAD TO IDEAL CONDITIONS FOR RADIATION

FOG TO FORM.

Max 80.3 today...maybe the last 80s tomorrow? It will be close here.

I think there's a chance for a freeze up north as well. The 0C 850 line gets down into N NH/VT and these sneaky cold airmasses from due north seem to often perform well. I think Sun morn will be the best shot at BML and HIE if they can decouple.

The higher summits forecast mentioning the possibility of precip other than rain.

Behind the front, Canadian high pressure will build boosting winds and bringing colder air in, dropping temperatures to around freezing by Saturday afternoon. The combination of strong winds and cold air will drop wind chills over the course of the day. And with lingering moisture behind the front, expect summit fog to continue with a slight chance for some upslope snow showers during the late afternoon. Accumulations, if any, will be a trace to less than an inch.

The higher summits forecast mentioning the possibility of precip other than rain.

Behind the front, Canadian high pressure will build boosting winds and bringing colder air in, dropping temperatures to around freezing by Saturday afternoon. The combination of strong winds and cold air will drop wind chills over the course of the day. And with lingering moisture behind the front, expect summit fog to continue with a slight chance for some upslope snow showers during the late afternoon. Accumulations, if any, will be a trace to less than an inch.

Sweet! Good find. No chance here as 4,000ft is a bit low, but the 6K region looks to maybe see first flakes.

On a side note, the several runs of the GFS are cold and colder in the long range... looks like a relatively stormy pattern too compared to what we've been seeing.

We may definitely have some chances for high elevation snow come the end of the month if that trough develops like some model runs have been showing.

Little bit of a scare tonight on the way back from Woodsville, NH. About 10 miles west of Groton on Rt.302 we came upon 2 moose in the road. Luckily, they were heading off each side so no harm, no foul. It's always a bit startling when you see them in road, especially at night.

There have been numerous deaths up here with moose/vehicle accidents, Unfortunately, They roll up the hood and end up inside the vehicle, You were lucky...

Little bit of a scare tonight on the way back from Woodsville, NH. About 10 miles west of Groton on Rt.302 we came upon 2 moose in the road. Luckily, they were heading off each side so no harm, no foul. It's always a bit startling when you see them in road, especially at night.

I had a moose encounter last weekend myself. I was on my way to a trailhead at 5am, had just passed the MWN Auto Road and was glancing toward the parking area of where I hiked the week before. Turned my attention back to the road and there was a moose standing in my lane. Did a quick Oh Sh*t combo of hitting brakes and swerving ... missed it by 20' or so. Fortunately no cars were approaching, but one heckuva way to start the day. Kinda gave a wry grin on the return trip home when I passed one of those highway signs warning of moose ("hundreds of collisions").

Definitely a moosey stretch of road up there. I've seen a few along through there myself--Seyon Ranch area and down toward where 302 & 25 intersect.

I've seen a few a night while traveling on two wheels. Not the best feeling the world. :unsure:

My closest encounter was years ago near Errol, NH. I was motoring along in my truck, broad daylight, when suddenly a moose comes running out of the woods right toward me as I was navigating a tight bend in the road. The moose smartened up at the last second and changed course, running along side and parallel to me, no more than 10' away. It ran along side me for about 20' or so before peeling off and heading back into the woods. Needless to say, my heart was racing for quite a while after that, lol.

Definitely a moosey stretch of road up there. I've seen a few along through there myself--Seyon Ranch area and down toward where 302 & 25 intersect.

I've seen a few a night while traveling on two wheels. Not the best feeling the world. :unsure:

My closest encounter was years ago near Errol, NH. I was motoring along in my truck, broad daylight, when suddenly a moose comes running out of the woods right toward me as I was navigating a tight bend in the road. The moose smartened up at the last second and changed course, running along side and parallel to me, no more than 10' away. It ran along side me for about 20' or so before peeling off and heading back into the woods. Needless to say, my heart was racing for quite a while after that, lol.

Yeah, this was right by the VAST parking lot. I've seen them while snowmobiling. At least then you are much loser to the ground and can hope to go under them !

Archived