wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually looking at a larger radar view, the current precip pattern is pretty darn cool and very terrain oriented.

This is SE flow climo taking place right now, with the heaviest rainfall occurring over Allenson's area in the Orange Heights, the first 2,000ft+ terrain the SE flow runs into west of the upper CT river valley.

2" on the nose here. Quite a soaking--and soak in it did. I haven't been out and about yet but from looking around the yard here at my place, the droughtiness leading up to this has allowed almost the whole two inches of rain to soak into the soil and not run off. Fill that well right up!

Tonight is going to be cold. First freeze for PF probably. 850's near 0c in NW VT, with good radiaitional cooling...I bet there'll be someone in NE VT or N NH near 25F tonight, with a bunch of 30-33F readings regionwide in N VT and NH.

Yeah I'm hopeful... BTV has MVL at 31F and that's what the point 'n click is pegging for the 800ft gridpoint here.

image.png

I can't believe BTV recorded less than 1 inch of rain in the last 24 hours. That can't be right. It POURED last night in the south end.

Lots of downsloping with the SE flow even here locally. 0.61" in Littleton, NH and 1.26" here at LSC...and 1.65"-2.40" in the higher elevations in western Orange and Caledonia county.

Winds sucked here at 1,100ft...gusted to 29mph.

Pretty much climo for strong SSE flow... with max QPF amounts down around Rochester/Ludlow/Woodstock area on the upslope into the Greens from the CT Valley, and that axis extends up through the Orange Heights and Allenson's area. Other maxima on the SE side of the Adirondacks.

Then precip gradually tapers as you head north with lesser amounts in NE VT, local Morrisville area (downsloped off the Worcester ridgeline, only 0.81" at MVL), and also into the Champlain Valley west of the Spine. With slightly higher amounts on the NY side of the CPV near the east slopes of the Adirondacks.

Here in Stowe the two reports on the map are 1.22" and 1.42" and that seems about right. Up at the ski resort there was 1.80" with enhancement on the east side of Mansfield.

Upgraded to a freeze warning here in Lamoille County...near 30F seems to be the expectation but I'm worried about fog. We are very prone to fog here and with 1-2" of rainfall yesterday, we may struggle to get all the way down past 32F.

" Will be continuing the frost advisories and freeze warnings that were issued earlier today. Based on latest guidance...have also added headlines to some areas. Have upgraded frost advisory to freeze warning for LaMoille County...and issued frost advisories for most of the remaining zones. Exceptions will be right along Lake Champlain due mild lake water temperatures...thus Grand Isle County not included. Other areas where temperatures slightly above threshold are southwestern portion of Saint Lawrence valley and Rutland County where only patchy frost expected."

As always, awesome pics Border...how high above the valley are you there? And is that my stomping grounds off in the distance?

Awesome September morning out there! I'm still surprised at how once you drive out of the fog the ground immediately became frosted. The elevation of the fog was only like 700-850ft and frost started at 850ft.

Archived