wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frost Advisory for Allenson's county... interesting layout for BTV's frost advisories (adding only Orange County) but I guess it makes sense with the Orange Heights getting quite cold at night.

MVL hit 36F last night and dew points have been running quite a bit colder than 24 hours ago (34F this afternoon) so we could get down there close to the freezing mark once the winds go calm. Clear skies now and clouds won't be an issue... fog may be the only thing stopping us from seeing a frost.

Guys, is there a lot to do in Burlington vt that doesn't have to do with the outdoors? I'm trying to find a nice compromise between a big city and an outdoor mecca. Gf is a retail monkey and I'm a ski hike etc junkie. Trying to convince it can work. She wants Boston lol, I shuddered.

BTV rocks. Great downtown with bars, restaurants, stores etc. Very liberal/hippie vibe. It would be one of the few smaller cities in New England that I would move to.

Burlington would be the perfect place for you guys

Guys, is there a lot to do in Burlington vt that doesn't have to do with the outdoors? I'm trying to find a nice compromise between a big city and an outdoor mecca. Gf is a retail monkey and I'm a ski hike etc junkie. Trying to convince it can work. She wants Boston lol, I shuddered.

Needed the scraper on the windshield this morning, temp was about 31 and some lawns were white. This is one day ahead of my 14-yr avg here for 1st frost - would be dead on the avg but for last year's 10/6 date, my only year in 15 when 1st frost wasn't in Sept. My tomato plants will probably survive, but the few cucurbits which survived July are probably toast. Yesterday's 60/37 with a breeze was definitely autumnal.

Frost Advisory for Allenson's county... interesting layout for BTV's frost advisories (adding only Orange County) but I guess it makes sense with the Orange Heights getting quite cold at night.

Had 35 this morning at 6' off the ground but there was a touch of frost: windshield was frozen up and the fields were frosted over pretty well:

7995972034_35fb9a69fa_z.jpg

No, there's nothing to do here at all. Look elsewhere, we have enough transplants as it is. ;)

J/K. Burlington's a fun town for sure.

Burlington has quite a bit to offer. The Church Street Marketplace with its stores and cafes and the two nearby malls certainly will keep a retail junky happy and Montreal is only a short drive with Boston an easy trip if you need a change for the weekend.

We hit 40.3 this morning. (Car said 39) Coldest so far but no frost in site even at the bottom of the hill.

Burlington is an awesome town...I'd definitely still live there if I didn't need/want to live so close to the ski resort. Tons of nightlife, shopping, music scene is great, lots of culture...it may not be all that diverse among ethnic groups, but it's definitely the most diverse "white" population you'll ever find haha. It's hard to describe just how diverse that one ethnic set can be.

It's the figurative and literal west coast of New England...liberal anything goes type of young population.also the best sunsets in New England with the sun setting behind the high peaks of the Adirondacks everyday all year. Sitting at a floating bar on the lakeshore with people boating up to the place, while the sunsets and the lake goes calm and turns red and orange is one of the most peaceful experiences you can have.

Burlington is an awesome town...I'd definitely still live there if I didn't need/want to live so close to the ski resort. Tons of nightlife, shopping, music scene is great, lots of culture...it may not be all that diverse among ethnic groups, but it's definitely the most diverse "white" population you'll ever find haha. It's hard to describe just how diverse that one ethnic set can be.

It's the figurative and literal west coast of New England...liberal anything goes type of young population.also the best sunsets in New England with the sun setting behind the high peaks of the Adirondacks everyday all year. Sitting at a floating bar on the lakeshore with people boating up to the place, while the sunsets and the lake goes calm and turns red and orange is one of the most peaceful experiences you can have.

It's actually one of the best places in the country if you're looking for a mix of the outdoors and "city" life. Being the largest city for at least 100 miles in the U.S. helps it have stores and amenities that most places its size would not near a larger city. You just have to get used to (or ignore) its unique brand of politics.

You're right on one thing - you can't beat the sunsets there any where else in New England (save for Provincetown?).

It's actually one of the best places in the country if you're looking for a mix of the outdoors and "city" life. Being the largest city for at least 100 miles in the U.S. helps it have stores and amenities that most places its size would not near a larger city. You just have to get used to (or ignore) its unique brand of politics.

You're right on one thing - you can't beat the sunsets there any where else in New England (save for Provincetown?).

Yeah your right about it being the only place for 100 miles of it's size...there's literally everything there that you could want or need. Everything from local organic food stores to Home Depot, Best Buy and WalMart. Plus the concentration of quality restaurants is pretty impressive for it's size.

The biggest draw to me is the general attitude and a lifestyle around outdoor recreation...everyone bikes, hikes, skis, kayaks, runs, etc. Plus with 5 colleges locally it's a real young and fit population. There's a reason BTV is usually on those Highest Quality of Life lists in like Mens Health magine or other similar lists.

Some lows around here from 5:00 am

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS

PORTLAND CLEAR 41 39 93 CALM 30.06R

SANFORD CLEAR 34 30 86 SW5 30.04S

BAR HARBOR CLEAR 43 41 93 CALM 30.03R

WISCASSET CLEAR 37 34 89 CALM 30.06R

ROCKLAND CLEAR 39 37 93 W5 30.03S

FRYEBURG FOG 33 33 100 CALM 30.07R VSB 1/4

LEWISTONAUBURN CLEAR 36 34 93 CALM 30.06R

AUGUSTA CLEAR 45 41 86 CALM 30.05R

WATERVILLE CLEAR 39 36 87 CALM 30.00R

BANGOR CLEAR 39 36 89 CALM 30.02S

GREENVILLE N/A 44 38 79 CALM 29.98S

MILLINOCKET CLEAR 45 40 82 CALM 30.00R

HOULTON CLEAR 42 38 85 CALM 29.95S

PRESQUE ISLE CLEAR 43 36 75 S5 29.89R

FRENCHVILLE CLEAR 42 38 85 W6 29.92R

CARIBOU CLEAR 44 38 79 W6 29.93R

$$

What is BTV's avg annual snowfall?

Right around 80"...since 2000 though it was closer to 90" though with 3 recent years over 100"...until last year's 40" put it in it's place.

The one problem with BTV is you need to be prepared to be the lowest snowfall location around, and by a significant margin sometimes. Also be prepared for partly cloudy days while 10-20 miles east is getting 1-3"/hr upslope. J.Spin and I could be posting feet of snow (like that Feb event last year) while BTV is seeing patches of blue sky.

Mansfield is on the eastern county border and the lake makes the western border...in Chittenden County snowfall ranges from 70" at lakeshore to 300" on Mansfield so there are a lot of events where you are on the wrong side of the gradient. That was my biggest issue after a while...I wanted to be in that upslope zone. It's painful from BTV because you could ski all day in a blizzard then white knuckle it on the drive home through Stowe and Waterbury and Richmond, only to find grass at your house in Burlington as the snow shuts off 5 miles from home.

It's hard to describe how localized it is, but you hear the SNE folks talk about synoptic storms and being pissed cause only getting 10" while 10 miles away got 30". That's normal up here. Except 10 miles away got 30" while you had flurries. Just imagine that a few times a winter and you'll want to experience the other way around.

Right around 80"...since 2000 though it was closer to 90" though with 3 recent years over 100"...until last year's 40" put it in it's place.

The one problem with BTV is you need to be prepared to be the lowest snowfall location around, and by a significant margin sometimes. Also be prepared for partly cloudy days while 10-20 miles east is getting 1-3"/hr upslope. J.Spin and I could be posting feet of snow (like that Feb event last year) while BTV is seeing patches of blue sky.

Mansfield is on the eastern county border and the lake makes the western border...in Chittenden County snowfall ranges from 70" at lakeshore to 300" on Mansfield so there are a lot of events where you are on the wrong side of the gradient. That was my biggest issue after a while...I wanted to be in that upslope zone. It's painful from BTV because you could ski all day in a blizzard then white knuckle it on the drive home through Stowe and Waterbury and Richmond, only to find grass at your house in Burlington as the snow shuts off 5 miles from home.

It's hard to describe how localized it is, but you hear the SNE folks talk about synoptic storms and being pissed cause only getting 10" while 10 miles away got 30". That's normal up here. Except 10 miles away got 30" while you had flurries. Just imagine that a few times a winter and you'll want to experience the other way around.

An exception to this was that great fluff bomb Burlington got 2 winters back I think. They got around three feet overnight while east of the mountains we got 1 to 2 inches. It was in one of those retrograding specials that I think was just after Christmas.

Archived