joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You wouldve hated the lake last Oct if you were home for Halloweenie. That has to be one of the only storms to drop 19" here and only a trace along spots on the lake shore.

It would have been cool to drive around and observe the snow depth variation. I'm curious how much the top of White Oaks road 1/4 mile behind me got at 740' or on Brickyard Mountain by Funspot at 990'.

34 at the house this morning with our heaviest frost yet. Also, it was the first morning where I saw pretty widespread frost all the way down until just before the immediate CT River valley. Saw as low as 30 in the cold hollow down the hill from us...

ash trees are so lazy. the last to leaf out in the spring and the first to drop their leaves in the fall.

LOL, they're just really good at what they do during their shorter duration leaf-season. ;)

34 at the house this morning with our heaviest frost yet. Also, it was the first morning where I saw pretty widespread frost all the way down until just before the immediate CT River valley.

And that is where I fell this morning as no frost, we were down to 35F, I actually had to touch windshield to see if it was frozen, it sure looked it.

Great day for school hike up Mt Cardigan, generally weather is very raw and windy up there for these hikes, but we got lucky today. It was cool at top, I would say 50's with maybe 25mph winds, but great visibility.

Last night we were on pace for our first freeze with 34F at 4am but then a pesky south wind picked up. By 5am it was 36F with a 9mph breeze and our first wind chill reading of 29F on the NOAA site, lol.

Thanks to the breeze we went from 34F at 4am to 42F by 7am when areas further east were bottoming out... so no frost unless it happened in the middle of the night before breeze picked up.

Interesting to look at the area obs between 4-7am...MVL was on pace to freeze but by 7am the breeze took over at MVL/MPV while St Johnsbury and the CT River Valley area eastward was calm and still dropping.

4am

MVL...34F

MPV...42F

1V4...36F

7am

MVL...42F

MPV...45F

1V4...34F

Overnight lows:

34 at the house this morning with our heaviest frost yet. Also, it was the first morning where I saw pretty widespread frost all the way down until just before the immediate CT River valley. Saw as low as 30 in the cold hollow down the hill from us...

LOL, they're just really good at what they do during their shorter duration leaf-season. ;)

I was 40F at when I went to bed at 12:15 (freakin' football game) but was up to 43F when I got up at 4:30 (freakin' dog!). No frost for me yet. :(

Last night we were on pace for our first freeze with 34F at 4am but then a pesky south wind picked up. By 5am it was 36F with a 9mph breeze and our first wind chill reading of 29F on the NOAA site, lol.

Thanks to the breeze we went from 34F at 4am to 42F by 7am when areas further east were bottoming out... so no frost unless it happened in the middle of the night before breeze picked up.

Interesting to look at the area obs between 4-7am...MVL was on pace to freeze but by 7am the breeze took over at MVL/MPV while St Johnsbury and the CT River Valley area eastward was calm and still dropping.

4am

MVL...34F

MPV...42F

1V4...36F

7am

MVL...42F

MPV...45F

1V4...34F

Overnight lows:

Those pesky southerly winds, Only useful in summer

And that is where I fell this morning as no frost, we were down to 35F, I actually had to touch windshield to see if it was frozen, it sure looked it.

Great day for school hike up Mt Cardigan, generally weather is very raw and windy up there for these hikes, but we got lucky today. It was cool at top, I would say 50's with maybe 25mph winds, but great visibility.

Yeah, there was frost on my drive all the way to Thetford Center. Once I got on Thetford Hill and down into the valley, it was still cool but no frost.

Nice on going up Cardigan--very cool climb and great open summit. I've hiked it a few times but not for about ten years...

ash trees are so lazy. the last to leaf out in the spring and the first to drop their leaves in the fall.

the huge one across the street is almost completely bare now after its standard 72 hours of nice purple leaves.

True for the natives, but black locust - a midwestern species planted and naturalized here - has it beat. And in place of the "72 hr" of rather unique color from white ash, black locust offers about 2 weeks of gray-brown hanging death.

Colors nearly halfway to peak here, with 5 frosts over the past 9 days. Only the one large oak remains mostly green. Only in the 40s for this morning's low, with a few showers.

I never saw a radar last night but it was pouring at one point... looks like the Stowe CoCoRAHS observation is 0.35" last night through 7am this morning. We had 0.5" a couple nights ago from that previous FROPA, so its nice to see the dry pattern has sort of taken a step back with more frequent precipitation events here in north/central VT...

Colors really exploded over the past few days. Im sure the higher elevations of the 'dacks are getting close to peak. Im only at 1200' so were a bit delayed

Where are you in upstate NY?

And judging by the higher terrain in the northern Greens, the High Peaks region of the Dacks has to be at peak color right now.

Definitely better than last year. I know PF posted a picture from last year to point out that even in so called down years there are still bright spots, but last year seemed so dull. WXheights, maybe you could say whether Irene had any effect on last year's foliage.

I believe last year was duller and more all at once. I think for me, anyway early peak is more impressive more green mixed in than peak where everything shifts all at once to orange yellows and reds - I don't know suppose all good, but last year did not stand out. I think every year has it's spots no matter.

Archived