Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man what a difference from Libation's endless summer... we had a high of 73F today in the village and all sites up here have been seeing NW winds gusting 20-30mph all afternoon/evening.

Skies are clearing out now here in the valley but still some orographic clouds over the Worecester Range to the east and Mount Mansfield to the west.

Here's a photo taken just a short while ago... classic late August evening, clouds clearing, fresh Canadian airmass moving in. This is the 3,000-3,500ft ridgeline of the Worcester Range making up Stowe's eastern town border. Here in the valley the temps are dropping quickly now that the suns behind Mansfield.

Tomorrow we are sunny and not making it out of the 60s apparently... world's difference from LL's beach weather on the opposite side of New England.

Zone Forecast: Lamoille County

Tonight: Clear. Lows in the mid 40s. North winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds around 10 mph.

Headed to Plymouth tomorrow morning! 4 day backpacking trip with other freshman then classes start next week. Hard to live up to Sam's name at Plymouth ( I actually met with a professor and she said that she only had one 'genius' student last year, I asked if it was Sam and she was like yes how do you know him? Haha). Hopefully a big snow year and I don't miss any big SNE storms that are crap up here. ;)

Headed to Plymouth tomorrow morning! 4 day backpacking trip with other freshman then classes start next week. Hard to live up to Sam's name at Plymouth ( I actually met with a professor and she said that she only had one 'genius' student last year, I asked if it was Sam and she was like yes how do you know him? Haha). Hopefully a big snow year and I don't miss any big SNE storms that are crap up here. ;)

Its bound to happen... maybe several whoppers in a row where you're smoking cirrus with everyone else in NNE, haha. However, there will be plenty of events where you're snow and/or ice while they're not. The law of averages will work out over time.

Good luck! I hope you like Plymouth! I'm sure you'll do great.

Yes, you will definitely miss out on some of the SNE events up that way. Plymouth does best in SWFEs as they hold the cold beautifully, although downsloping off the Whites can hurt a bit during nor'easters though. You'll find that Plymouth has an uncanny ability to hold snowpack extremely well due to the cold air trapping there. There was snow in the woods until well into May of '08.

Many times the warmest temperatures during a WAA event occur after the cold front passes through and things mix out. It can be kind of funky. I recall during the March 2005 event they had 28-29 and -ZR during the morning. After the cold front went through they briefly shot up to about 35-36 at the surface, but had -SN as the mid-levels were colder. Of course, later on that day we went to several hours of wind whipped +SN with temps dropping into the teens.

Man what a difference from Libation's endless summer... we had a high of 73F today in the village and all sites up here have been seeing NW winds gusting 20-30mph all afternoon/evening.

Skies are clearing out now here in the valley but still some orographic clouds over the Worecester Range to the east and Mount Mansfield to the west.

Here's a photo taken just a short while ago... classic late August evening, clouds clearing, fresh Canadian airmass moving in. This is the 3,000-3,500ft ridgeline of the Worcester Range making up Stowe's eastern town border. Here in the valley the temps are dropping quickly now that the suns behind Mansfield.

Tomorrow we are sunny and not making it out of the 60s apparently... world's difference from LL's beach weather on the opposite side of New England.

Zone Forecast: Lamoille County

Tonight: Clear. Lows in the mid 40s. North winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds around 10 mph.

Just noticed the significantly reduced wording and detail of the ZFP. One extreme to the other.

I wonder if I might dodge 70 today.....I doubt it, but I can't shake the idea that it's possible.

Also, happy belated, Bob.

Just got back from paying respects to the motorcade for a fallen soldier as it made its way from Greenfield to his hometown of North Adams. Residents from the towns along the way gathering in small groups to honor him. Doing so on such a beautiful day as today only heightens the appreciation for him and all who are in harms way in support of us here at home.

66.1/46 at noon. It'll be close with regard to 70*. I'm thinking it'll get reached with less than 4 to go and still a couple hours of heating. But here's to hoping.

Just got back from paying respects to the motorcade for a fallen soldier as it made its way from Greenfield to his hometown of North Adams. Residents from the towns along the way gathering in small groups to honor him. Doing so on such a beautiful day as today only heightens the appreciation for him and all who are in harms way in support of us here at home.

66.1/46 at noon. It'll be close with regard to 70*. I'm thinking it'll get reached with less than 4 to go and still a couple hours of heating. But here's to hoping.

Pretty good turnout in Greenfield for that today. Glad they had such a nice day.

Can you imagine the poor, unknowing travelers stuck behind that procession on RT 2?

I wish we could have a week straight of days like this!

Pretty good turnout in Greenfield for that today. Glad they had such a nice day.

Can you imagine the poor, unknowing travelers stuck behind that procession on RT 2?

I wish we could have a week straight of days like this!

Yeah, my wife was down at GCC and said g'field was packed. The boy was only 20--very said.

Every year in August we hear all these claims of beautiful fall foliage. I'd love to see some real live pics of this. Mrg used to stop at some swamp to supposedly verify or he'd post pics from another autumn in Mid October and claim it was current. So let's see some pics

I did see a few trees with the tips of the earliest trees getting a tiny bit of color...but nothing should be seen at this stage.

Every year in August we hear all these claims of beautiful fall foliage. I'd love to see some real live pics of this. Mrg used to stop at some swamp to supposedly verify or he'd post pics from another autumn in Mid October and claim it was current. So let's see some pics

I'll grab one for ya here in Wrentham. I saw it at lunch. Maple turning red.

Stepped out for lunch near downtown crossing and it was amazing out there...dews down near 50 or even in the 40s and temps in the 60s.

It felt like late September or early October. Too bad we'll have to go through another round of higher dews coming up with warmer temps to go with them.

Archived