• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
How many times have you reached severe thunderstorm criteria?

eekuasepinniW

Only three times for sure, going back to when we moved here in 1986.

July 1995

Don't remember the day. Extreme wind.

July 6th, 1999

My all time best bow echo for wind, remains the only thunderstorm to knock down trees on my property. Line produced a tornado later in Barnstead.

July 26th, 2011

I might have previously mentioned my dislike for the 1.5" hail in this one.

Technically non-severe runner up that did more damage to my town than any other storm:

August 7th, 2008 superflood with more than 3" of rain.

Most terrifying storm that never even hit:

Mid July 1999, one single lone huge supercell formed over northeast VT and drifted slowly southeast, passing between here and Lebanon. I will probably never see a more intimidating display of continuous multi-strike cloud to ground lightning for as long as I live.

Only three times for sure, going back to when we moved here in 1986.

July 1995

Don't remember the day. Extreme wind.

July 6th, 1999

My all time best bow echo for wind, remains the only thunderstorm to knock down trees on my property. Line produced a tornado later in Barnstead.

July 26th, 2011

I might have previously mentioned my dislike for the 1.5" hail in this one.

Technically non-severe runner up that did more damage to my town than any other storm:

August 7th, 2008 superflood with more than 3" of rain.

Most terrifying storm that never even hit:

Mid July 1999, one single lone huge supercell formed over northeast VT and drifted slowly southeast, passing between here and Lebanon. I will probably never see a more intimidating display of continuous multi-strike cloud to ground lightning for as long as I live.

I missed 2 microbursts in Mountonboro. One was July 1989 that ripped up the place my parents are at now. Missed it by one day. The other was in 1993 i believe and that was down by Greens basin. That occurred the week after I left. Lakes region knows how to do severe.

I missed 2 microbursts in Mountonboro. One was July 1989 that ripped up the place my parents are at now. Missed it by one day. The other was in 1993 i believe and that was down by Greens basin. That occurred the week after I left. Lakes region knows how to do severe.

I don't remember which one, but my dad took me over to see the damage and it was rather alarming. Tarps on roofs, sections of forest totally stripped, etc. We went down Shaker Jerry Road and it was scary because we had camped in that same area before.

I think I remember the 93 one. Was it a bit before the inaugural Sprint Cup NASCAR race at then NHIS?

As for me...I have never witnessed severe criteria wind. My strongest winds are non tstm related and only around 60mph. I had penny to near nickle sized hail here on 7/4/09. The most severe storm I witnessed was in MN where we had golf balls slamming the house one evening. Other than that it's mostly "meh".

The only one I can recall was 2 years ago when I was at Max's house for a party. We had hail with that one. At home here in TAN, I am not sure as if I have had any severe criteria storms. I was under a Tornado warning when there was the EF0 that hit down in Ocean Grove.

I think I remember the 93 one. Was it a bit before the inaugural Sprint Cup NASCAR race at then NHIS?

As for me...I have never witnessed severe criteria wind. My strongest winds are non tstm related and only around 60mph. I had penny to near nickle sized hail here on 7/4/09. The most severe storm I witnessed was in MN where we had golf balls slamming the house one evening. Other than that it's mostly "meh".

I can try to find the date on that. There is actually a store in Meredith that sells products made from the wood that fell during that microburst. It says it right in it along wih pics.

I think only one time I briefly experienced close to severe tstm winds. July 1999. That was a good year for tstms. I'll have to think more about that. Most other storms were hail related. I've actually missed a surprising amount of storms from being away at work, school, etc. I had damage from the Brockton macro burst but of course I missed it due to a track meet. That pisses me of to this day.

The only one I can recall was 2 years ago when I was at Max's house for a party. We had hail with that one. At home here in TAN, I am not sure as if I have had any severe criteria storms. I was under a Tornado warning when there was the EF0 that hit down in Ocean Grove.

That's where i saw the 2" hail in Duxbury.

On the ground after unfit there.

I don't remember which one, but my dad took me over to see the damage and it was rather alarming. Tarps on roofs, sections of forest totally stripped, etc. We went down Shaker Jerry Road and it was scary because we had camped in that same area before.

That was it I think. It leveled the forest.

I can try to find the date on that. There is actually a store in Meredith that sells products made from the wood that fell during that microburst. It says it right in it along wih pics.

I think only one time I briefly experienced close to severe tstm winds. July 1999. That was a good year for tstms. I'll have to think more about that. Most other storms were hail related. I've actually missed a surprising amount of storms from being away at work, school, etc. I had damage from the Brockton macro burst but of course I missed it due to a track meet. That pisses me of to this day.

Re: 7/99...

I had never seen hail in my life until one day that month. I forget the exact date, but I want to say it was 7/23. The very next day I had my 2nd ever hailstorm. Both were about dime sized. I wonder what the odds off that were...lol.

Re: 7/99...

I had never seen hail in my life until one day that month. I forget the exact date, but I want to say it was 7/23. The very next day I had my 2nd ever hailstorm. Both were about dime sized. I wonder what the odds off that were...lol.

Really? Just must have been crappy luck then. I saw it one when I was like 8 and then almost quarters in July 96.

A bunch of times, but the last one I think was 6/10/08 so its been a few years. We had over 70mph straight line winds. The year before in May 2007 we had severe hail about 1 inch. 2005 and 2003 I think we also had severe hail.

Of course the worst ever for here since I've been living here was 5/31/98 and the 100mph macroburst.

May 27th, 2010

Two separate events...briefly had 1'' hail and then had damaging winds.

August 8th, 2010

Had 1'' hail along with damaging winds

July 10th, 2008

Was in Litchfield county near the MA border where they had 60-70 mph winds

July 18th, 2006

1'' hail

April, 2002

1.5'' hail (biggest I've ever seen)

May 31st, 1998

0.88'' hail

Prior to the 1'' hail criteria I have seen dime/nickle hail quite a few times but I don't recall the dates off the top of my head.

Before 1995 I have little recollection as I didn't care before that

Impossible to say on wind cause so many times its marginal and you can't measure wind in the woods. There were two large healthy trees taken out next door on 7/23/02 but I wasn't home, it was apparently a big gust on the initial outflow. The tree taken down here on 6/22/12 was bug damaged. 7/15/97 and 8/2/02 among several others may have verified if measured in an open field setting

for hail:

- 5/31/02 estimated 1.25" (wasn't home) there were still dimes and nickels in yard 25 minutes after storm.

- 7/7/09 again largest probably 1.25", measured 1" stones with 10 minutes of melting

If you go by the old standard of .75" then you can add:

6/7/99 dime size hail twice about 20 minutes apart from separate storms

5/23/04 nickel sized hail

Storm chasing I saw 1.5" hail in Austerlitz, NY. I think it was 6/20/01

Also storm chasing I had utility lines come down on car while driving on 5/29/98 in Millerton, NY. Was trying to get ahead of storm but the gust front got me.

June 12. 2005, briefly - about 60 seconds of wind which turned +RA into twig-filled mist and knocked over numerous trees along our road, while blocking the next road west in four places. Probably gusted past 60 mph.

July 18. 2000 at the Farmington office - Hail to 1" covered the ground, about 1.5" rain in 20 minutes. Missed MBY entirely.

Some close calls:

- The July 5, 1999 derecho gave MBY brief wind gusts near 50, but flattened thousands of cords of timber farther north, along with causing several injuries from faling trees. This event began 7/4 in N.MN and finally blew itself out midday on 7/5 in eastern Maine. I'm guessing this was the same event Eek dated as July 6.

- August 30, 2007 - Tree wrecking hailstorm 5-7 miles south of MBY; hail accumulated 4" with runoff piles 3'+, some 2" hail next town east.

- May 25, 1977 - TS that ended the record heat wave (CAR had 96 on 5/22, tying their all time high, the 95,94); it rototilled our garden such that no sign of any veggies remained, and had mothball hail that crashed against our windows. I was at work in the woods west of Allagash Village, where we had only a brief shower with some wind gusts.

- The July 5, 1999 derecho gave MBY brief wind gusts near 50, but flattened thousands of cords of timber farther north, along with causing several injuries from faling trees. This event began 7/4 in N.MN and finally blew itself out midday on 7/5 in eastern Maine. I'm guessing this was the same event Eek dated as July 6.

That derecho passed well north of me. I didn't even get a sprinkle.

post-18-0-44173700-1341710394_thumb.jpg

Going by all the SPC maps, my backyard has never been hit by one. They always scrape by just north or just south.

It's too numerous to count. Even if I limit it to CT and forget the seasons I chased out west, it's still a big number. I've essentially been chasing locally since '89, and while I admit I didn't really know what I was doing for a good chunk of that time, I still managed to get in severe weather pretty damn often. Well, often for SNE, but still...

The only severe thunderstorm criteria event I witnessed in person was on June 20, 1995 when golfball size hail fell at my parents' house in Somers.

Two nearby events that I can remember (especially because I surveyed portions of the damage immediately afterwards) was the microburst that struck Enfield on July 21, 1991 and the F1 tornado that damaged some farm buildings and trailers in Ellington on August 16,2000. However, I suppose that the Ellington event is technically a non-thunderstorm event as it developed under a cumulus cloud (a landspout). A few years later (May 28, 2007) a similar tornado struck a barn up the street from my parents in Somers but I was away in the military at the time. I am curious how frequently this type of event occurs in SNE.

One interesting non-severe criteria thunderstorm event that was due to lightning was when I was at my grandparents' house in Warren, RI and a bolt of lightning came in through an open window and made an approximately 1 inch diameter hole through a cooking pot.

The only non-severe thunderstorm wind event that I witnessed that actually did significant damage was from Hurricane Gloria when it brought down about half the trees in my parents' formerly heavily wooded yard in Somers.

I'm guessing it was '93 that I saw severe damage from. I vividly remember the tops of nearly every tree along one road snapped off. I doubt I would have such a clear memory of '89, but it's possible. My family has a place right off Shaker Jerry Road, so I remember they came to me as a probably 10 year old kid to figure out what it was.

For severe at my location:

I'm 0 for Maine so far, missing severe hail in Portland because I was issuing the warnings at work.

When I worked in Iowa, I had severe winds either at the WFO or at my apartment around ten times, including at a county fair last July when I went back for a visit.

Growing up in RI, I can remember only three times ever seeing severe winds. One I have no date on just remember barely finishing my walk home from school before the gust front hit, the Ontario-Adirondacks derecho early in the morning on July 15, 1995 (but remember being disappointed because I felt we were in a tornado warning but I can't confirm that), and the July 23, 2008 tornado (witnessed the tornado then got blasted by front flank downdraft).

I also experienced severe winds once in Hawai'i during my semester almost abroad.

Still have yet to see severe hail falling from a storm.

Archived