joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Warm to cool to ? - May Obs/Discussion Thread

MN Transplant

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to the lovely fire drill we just had, I can say with confidence that it is very humid out today.

lol

Are you in a HS that's rushing to get their 10 fire drills in for the year?

On another note, the preview pages for the NWS look pretty good!

http://preview.weather.gov/wtf/MapClick.php?site=lwx&FcstType=text&zmx=1&zmy=1&map.x=285&map.y=52&site=LWX

Strangely enough, even though we've recorded at least a T on 7 of 8 days so far at DCA/IAD and 8/8 at BWI, we are below normal precip on the month at all three stations. It really shows you how important larger events are to the overall precipitation picture.

It's actually 9 out of 9 at BWI (and maybe 10 out of 10 if that 0.01 inches observation at 00:54 counts for today, I don't know) so...every day this month so far. I wonder what the record is for most number of consecutive days with at least a trace of precip, or the most number of days in one month with at least a trace. (RodneyS, where are you?) :-)

the main problem is these are usually months where we get rain compared to later into summer where it's more often than not localized and hit or miss until tropical remnant season. i think northeast droughts are generally a joke and not worth talking about though im less confident we can wipe this one till summer wanes at this pt. though given chase trip plans it should pour nonstop from late may into june with a solid east coast trough.

It's actually 9 out of 9 at BWI (and maybe 10 out of 10 if that 0.01 inches observation at 00:54 counts for today, I don't know) so...every day this month so far. I wonder what the record is for most number of consecutive days with at least a trace of precip, or the most number of days in one month with at least a trace. (RodneyS, where are you?) :-)

In DC, I believe that the most consecutive days of precipitation is 16, which occurred August 9-24, 1920. However, there was only 3.31 inches of precipitation total during that period, with four days recording only a trace and with just one day recording over an inch (August 20th, with 1.79 inches). Regarding the monthly record, I think it may be a tie between July 1904 and January 1907, which each had 22 days that recorded at least a trace of precipitation. July 1904 recorded a total of 6.25 inches, with measurable precipitation recorded on 20 days and a daily maximum of 2.20 inches recorded on the 24th; January 2007 recorded only 2.54 inches (below average), with measurable precipitation recorded on 15 days and a daily maximum of just 0.47 inches recorded on the 16th.

In DC, I believe that the most consecutive days of precipitation is 16, which occurred August 9-24, 1920. However, there was only 3.31 inches of precipitation total during that period, with four days recording only a trace and with just one day recording over an inch (August 20th, with 1.79 inches). Regarding the monthly record, I think it may be a tie between July 1904 and January 1907, which each had 22 days that recorded at least a trace of precipitation. July 1904 recorded a total of 6.25 inches, with measurable precipitation recorded on 20 days and a daily maximum of 2.20 inches recorded on the 24th; January 2007 recorded only 2.54 inches (below average), with measurable precipitation recorded on 15 days and a daily maximum of just 0.47 inches recorded on the 16th.

I just found a month that recorded precipitation on 24 days in DC -- May 1953. That month recorded a record-setting May total of 10.69 inches of precipitation, with measurable precipitation on 17 days and a daily maximum of 3.24 inches recorded on the 5th. May 1953 also featured 14 consecutive days of precipitation during May 13-26, with measurable precipitation recorded on eight of those days.

I'm going to be up in the Summit Point/Charlestown WV area visiting some friends and camping at the racetrack on the 19th. What will the weather be?

High 83

Low 63

Winds out of the East at 2 mph shifting to the South at 3 mph by the evening. Gusts to 8 mph.

There will be a 4-hour rainstorm overnight resulting in .4 inches of rain. There will be a 24% chance of thunderstorms, decreasing to 14% overnight.

At least according to Accuweather...

Archived