Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Warm to cool to ? - May Obs/Discussion Thread

MN Transplant

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a decent amount of rain over here. It goes from pouring to light rain. My rain gauge broke over the winter so cannot report the amount.

I'm not at home but my gauge online is showing 0.72" since midnight. Sounds like a nice soaking rain and also good for my water bill. :)

I've got close to a half inch. 20 miles SW has over a HALF FOOT... Pretty intense training just to my west.

Sounds like some serious issues with flooding down your way.

FLASH FLOOD STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA

1139 PM EDT MON MAY 14 2012

VAC009-019-023-163-530-678-150715-

/O.CON.KRNK.FF.W.0022.000000T0000Z-120515T0715Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

ROCKBRIDGE VA-CITY OF BUENA VISTA VA-CITY OF LEXINGTON VA-

BOTETOURT VA-BEDFORD VA-AMHERST VA-

1139 PM EDT MON MAY 14 2012

...A FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 315 AM EDT FOR THE

CITY OF BUENA VISTA...THE CITY OF LEXINGTON... ROCKBRIDGE...EASTERN

BOTETOURT...NORTHERN BEDFORD AND NORTHWESTERN AMHERST COUNTIES...

AT 1129 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO

INDICATE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCING PERSISTENT VERY HEAVY

RAINFALL OVER THE WARNED AREA. RAINFALL OF 2 TO 5 INCHES FROM

EASTERN BOTETOURT COUNTY TO GLASGOW HAS CAUSED MANY ROAD TO BE

CLOSED DUE TO FLOODING. IN ADDITION...WATER RESCUES WERE ONGOING

AROUND GLASGOW DUE TO RAPIDLY RISING WATER. THE HEAVIEST RAIN WAS

SHIFTING NORTH INTO LEXINGTON AND BUENA VISTA AND WILL QUICKLY CAUSE

FLASH FLOODING TO DEVELOP THROUGH 1 AM. OTHERWISE SIGNIFICANT

WIDESPREAD FLOODING AND FLASH FLOODING WILL OCCUR ACROSS MUCH OF

EASTERN BOTETOURT AND MOST OF ROCKBRIDGE COUNTIES.

LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO LEXINGTON

CITY...VESUVIUS...ROCKBRIDGE BATHS...FAIRFIELD...CORNWALL...NATURAL

BRIDGE...GLASGOW...BUENA VISTA AND BROWNSBURG.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE

WARNED AREA.

I like today's storm chances in the region... 2000+ CAPE with low-level rotation and good low-level lapse rates. Concerned about the weak low- to mid-level speed shear and the mid-level lapse rates might be a hindrance, but I'm feeling good enough about it to head out on a chase.

Main target right now is Fredericksburg, VA. Will probably have to head south, but I'm also liking the tornado potential in southern MD, so I don't want to rule that area out. SPC keeps the tornado probabilities well to our south, but I would extend the risk all the way up to DC and southern Delmarva.

day1probotlk_20120515_1200_torn_prt.gif

I would be a bit more aggressive with the wind/hail coverage as well.

I know a lot of you have personal weather stations, but what website do you guys rely on for rainfall totals? The Weather Underground total precipitation radar view never seems correct.

We have a weather station here at work in Columbia, and at home I use a combination of the local wxbug site and an oversized coffee cup in the backyard. The two are usually pretty close which tells me that I can trust the wxbug totals.

I know a lot of you have personal weather stations, but what website do you guys rely on for rainfall totals? The Weather Underground total precipitation radar view never seems correct.

Here's a source you can try. http://cocorahs.org/....aspx?state=usa You can drill down to your state and even county if you want to. You can view by map or get a listing by state by clicking on "view data".

Some of us on here are volunteer members. You might even want to sign up.

Cool site. Thanks! Quick question, what is the criteria for submitting a report? How do I know how accurate any one site is?

Rather than try to recite the info, click on the About Us to get more details.

It was started by Colorado University and now is in all states. I think there are over 10,000 volunteers now. Anyone can sign up. You are required to view the online training session for gauge placement and selection. We all are supposed to use only one kind of rain gauge so the data can be compared to each other. Each NWS office get the data in their respective CWA as an unoffical supplement. My particular office posts the local observations daily on their website.

This group was set up to fill in the gaps among official staions and to show how variable rainfall can be.

One cool thing about it is if you submit a "signifcant weather event", it supposedly goes immediately to your local NWS office. I've done it a couple of times for heavy rain events, and they have even called me for additional information, and to check out local creeks for them.

I have my CoCoRaHS gauge mounted close to my Davis VP 2. For comparison, the Davis is almost always a few hundreths more than the CoCoRaHS gauge. It depends on how heavy the rain or if it was windy.

You have to be dedicated to report every morning around 7AM...and to bring in the gauge to melt the snow on winter mornings. :) I haven't missed a report since I started in 2009. On vacation weeks, you can submit a multiple day report.

Rather than try to recite the info, click on the About Us to get more details.

It was started by Colorado University and now is in all states. I think there are over 10,000 volunteers now. Anyone can sign up. You are required to view the online training session for gauge placement and selection. We all are supposed to use only one kind of rain gauge so the data can be compared to each other. Each NWS office get the data in their respective CWA as an unoffical supplement. My particular office posts the local observations daily on their website.

This group was set up to fill in the gaps among official staions and to show how variable rainfall can be.

One cool thing about it is if you submit a "signifcant weather event", it supposedly goes immediately to your local NWS office. I've done it a couple of times for heavy rain events, and they have even called me for additional information, and to check out local creeks for them.

I have my CoCoRaHS gauge mounted close to my Davis VP 2. For comparison, the Davis is almost always a few hundreths more than the CoCoRaHS gauge. It depends on how heavy the rain or if it was windy.

You have to be dedicated to report every morning around 7AM...and to bring in the gauge to melt the snow on winter mornings. :) I haven't missed a report since I started in 2009. On vacation weeks, you can submit a multiple day report.

Yeah, I saw that and deleted my original post.

As for the rest of your post, thanks for all the info. Sounds like a pretty big commitment if you want to report accurate totals! Thanks, again.

Archived