wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Warm to cool to ? - May Obs/Discussion Thread

MN Transplant

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only +4.6 so far. Next below average month? I'll say January 2015.

While it might not seem that way, it hasn't been all that long since the last below average month. October 2011, with an average DCA temperature of 58.4 degrees, was below the 1981-2010 DCA October average of 59.6, and barely above the historical 1871-2011 DC October average of 58.3. The last month that was below both the 1981-2010 and 1871-2011 averages was January 2011, which averaged 33.7, compared with 36.1 and 35.1, respectively.

However, it is now safe to say that the meteorological spring (March-May) DC temperature record will be broken. The current record-holder is 1977, with an average of 60.7 degrees. Even if May 2012 finishes a full degree below its current 68.2 average, we still break that record.

While it might not seem that way, it hasn't been all that long since the last below average month. October 2011, with an average DCA temperature of 58.4 degrees, was below the 1981-2010 DCA October average of 59.6, and barely above the historical 1871-2011 DC October average of 58.3. The last month that was below both the 1981-2010 and 1871-2011 averages was January 2011, which averaged 33.7, compared with 36.1 and 35.1, respectively.

However, it is now safe to say that the meteorological spring (March-May) DC temperature record will be broken. The current record-holder is 1977, with an average of 60.7 degrees. Even if May 2012 finishes a full degree below its current 68.2 average, we still break that record.

Yeah I tried to tell everyone this would be a record-breaking hot spring but no one believed me... I think this summer will be a very hot one too.

October 2011 was above average for BWI though, so we've been above average here every month since Feb. 2011.

We are just cruising toward the hottest year on record. This is nutty.

Taking the long view...it has been pretty much since the hurricane last August that we've had anything remotely interesting that affected the general coverage area of our region. The October thing was fun, but didn't really affect anyone outside of the mountains and across the PA border in or near or region, and the late season snow didn't materialize. In between was pretty nothing. And there has really been no spring severe storm threats to speak of.

Other than the persistent higher-than-normal temps, it has been almost 9 months of pretty damn boring.

I searched for a May Banter thread and did not fine one, so hope this is ok to post here...

Total geek out moment but look what I just got!

Found out my neighbor is just as into weather as I am so we split the cost and also got him an extra receiver.

Very nice! I'm getting one later this summer to replace my 6 year old and aging Vantage Pro 1.

I searched for a May Banter thread and did not fine one, so hope this is ok to post here...

Found out my neighbor is just as into weather as I am so we split the cost and also got him an extra receiver.

Excellent! Every weenie needs a weather station :)

IMG_0446.jpg

I'm very jelly. Very, very, very....

EDIT: I like your pictures on the wall.

Coolish this morning. Temp reading on the home wx station was 48.1 at about 6:30a.

Despite having above normal average temps, it feels like we've really lucked out this spring with regards to heat. I know we had some record highs in March, but during the month of April BWI, IAD and DCA only had three days with max highs at or above 80F. For DCA and IAD, that was the fewest number of 80F high temps in April since 2006. For BWI, it was the fewest since 2008. During the month of May, DCA and BWI have both had 6 days with a high of at least 80F and IAD has had 7 such days. That said, there have been 0 days with highs reaching 90F and the max highs for the three stations are 84 (DCA), 84 (IAD) and 85 (BWI). Still probably at or above normal, but doesn't seem so bad.

12z GFS seems to be advertising our first real hot days for Memorial Day weekend... 582+ DM heights and 850 temps of 16-17c

The last two years, the switch has flipped on May 26th, which would be next Saturday. That being said, this is the first GFS run with such extreme temps. A five-day stretch of mid-90s.

Archived