• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Warm to cool to ? - May Obs/Discussion Thread

MN Transplant

They also mention "widespread damaging winds" and a possible tornado threat. Day 3 - 30% risks have a habit of going moderate. Exciting!

My early thoughts, the worst will be to our south, because that's usually how it happens for us

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

0150 AM EDT WED MAY 30 2012

...RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES DC...

A RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 69 DEGREES WAS SET AT

WASHINGTON DULLES DC YESTERDAY MAY 29TH. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD

OF 67 DEGREES THAT WAS SET IN 2011.

My early thoughts, the worst will be to our south, because that's usually how it happens for us

Definitely seems plausible if not likely. Yesterday in the extended discussion they mentioned what you are saying as well. Still, look how far north the overall slight goes - we will have to see how the system fine tunes. I guess the question becomes if we will see a solid line, small line segments, or discrete cells. That factor will determine a huge amount of how many people get shafted lol

Another swing and a miss for the Mason-Dixon counties on Friday. $20 says the warm front gets stalled across the PA/MD and only locations south of I-70 clear out.

Still...being near the warm-front threatens to make your job hectic! We all know there's some tornadic enhancement right around the front. All of this is super prelim though...we'll have to see how it all develops.

Definitely seems plausible if not likely. Yesterday in the extended discussion they mentioned what you are saying as well. Still, look how far north the overall slight goes - we will have to see how the system fine tunes. I guess the question becomes if we will see a solid line, small line segments, or discrete cells. That factor will determine a huge amount of how many people get shafted lol

Still...being near the warm-front threatens to make your job hectic! We all know there's some tornadic enhancement right around the front. All of this is super prelim though...we'll have to see how it all develops.

That it does, especially because every utility pole around here seems to attract lightning. -_-

Watching all the talk about this system coming in tomorrow. Finally got a verdict on our gutter in the back and it will be cleaned out tomorrow and gutter guards put on. But I am still worried about the large dead tree on the property line of the neighborhood. I hope that thing does not come down if it gets wild up here. Sunday's storm already brought down 3" diameter limbs.

It seems we get a lot of limbs in our backyard from your standard thunderstorm nowadays. There are a ton of old, huge trees (75'+) in the lots around ours, and they seem to be giving up their limbs far too readily for my liking. If any of those trees came down in a storm, there's really no way they wouldn't land on a house. I wouldn't mind if a couple in our back neighbors' yard disappeared, but certainly not at the expense of my or a neighbor's roof!

It seems we get a lot of limbs in our backyard from your standard thunderstorm nowadays. There are a ton of old, huge trees (75'+) in the lots around ours, and they seem to be giving up their limbs far too readily for my liking. If any of those trees came down in a storm, there's really no way they wouldn't land on a house. I wouldn't mind if a couple in our back neighbors' yard disappeared, but certainly not at the expense of my or a neighbor's roof!

Got a quote yesterday to take down the 140' leaning oak that is in our backyard. Reasonable price to take it down ($1800), but another grand to haul the remnants away! Next door neighbor has one that is about 120' that went from looking relatively healthy at the start of last year to completely dead now. So, I won't fret about severe weather busts for another couple of weeks ;)

I actually would not have to pay to take the tree down as it is half on the easement for the development. But the question they are trying to find out is if the farmer with the other half has to do it or can the HOA just do it. Either way they can at least take down the limbs hanging over our yard and that should help some.

Got a quote yesterday to take down the 140' leaning oak that is in our backyard. Reasonable price to take it down ($1800), but another grand to haul the remnants away! Next door neighbor has one that is about 120' that went from looking relatively healthy at the start of last year to completely dead now. So, I won't fret about severe weather busts for another couple of weeks ;)

140'? Jesus...

My back yard is the only one in the neighborhood that doesn't have any large trees in it. In fact, until we planted a plum, a peach, and a dogwood last spring, there were no trees in it at all. And yet we're surrounded by oaks and beeches that run from 75-100' in all directions, so we're on the receiving end of a lot of leaves, sticks, and limbs from storms (and from autumn leaf drop, of course). I realize that folks don't want to have to pay to take down trees, but the reality is that, being on the prevailing downwind (ESE) side of most of these trees either me or one of my next door neighbors is going to get a tree through the roof at some point if things continue the way they are!

:violin:

LOL, yeah. I had guessed 100'-120', but I asked the tree guy and he said 140'. The kicker is that we have 16 trees in the backyard of our .35ish acre lot, and with that estimate I bet 8 of them are over 80'. My poor anemometer is worthless in the summer. :)

You sure you're not the neighbor to the back of my house?

:P

Archived