Newest Member
    joxey
Disco for the next one.. 01/28-01/29

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much damage here yet... 34 and ovc.

I'd really be pretty interested in the energy in the gulf finally coming up around Saturday. The GFS is suppressed as one would expect...but I'm thinking the Euro might come in pretty exciting after 1 PM today.

Thursday is minor, but could be a small snow and or snow/sleet event from here to Dendrite, but that main energy is waiting and Thursday sets up the colder air.

I will have nothing but piles left. Most of the damage will be done later today and tonight with screaming southerlies, high dews and rain. I fully expect to have nothing left by tomorrow morning. The day tomorrow won't be that warm here 40ish...it's tonite that I am dreading. I would think all of CT loses their snowcover up to ORH and pesp points NW will keep it.

Hopefully the next 5-7 days can replenish

fact is most of us thought the pattern would reload after 1/22 and we had to make hay in the interim. Although not perfect for everyone a lot of snow fell, Powderfreak got buried once, we got buried once and everyone in between got some snow. Big break in the miserable winter.

Now the torch isn't really a torch, more like a warm interlude.

I don't think this week looks very promising...maybe the 2nd system. But I also don't think the week following looks bad, I think we get some shots with the up/down pattern in early febuary and if we get lucky we could swing another double digit event.

Agree with Scott and Ray this weekend looks like the best shot.

fact is most of us thought the pattern would reload after 1/22 and we had to make hay in the interim.  Although not perfect for everyone a lot of snow fell, Powderfreak got buried once, we got buried once and everyone in between got some snow.  Big break in the miserable winter.

Now the torch isn't really a torch, more like a warm interlude.

I don't think this week looks very promising...maybe the 2nd system.  But I also don't think the week following looks bad, I think we get some shots with the up/down pattern in early febuary and if we get lucky we could swing another double digit event.

Agree with Scott and Ray this weekend looks like the best shot.

thaw week , ya know the week some thought 60s would be common . Pretty normal occurrence, winter returns this weekend.

took the drive up from VT through montreal and over to ottawa yesterday morning.

about 3 inches on the ground in northern VT along the champlain valley and that amount steadily increased as i headed northward on I-89 to about 4-6 inches in MTL city.

then as i headed westward from downtown MTL along the 417 highway all the way to east ottawa (1.5 hour drive), there was gradually increasing amounts, i'd say a peak average of 12-18 (with higher drifts) just east of ottawa and through casselaman region

and then by the time i got into ottawa city and over to where my parents live in S ottawa, about 8-14 inches on the ground depending where you look.... with drifted snowpack in the usual spots up to the 2 foot range as i walk around here in S ottawa. overall its a dense (multiple compressive events), fresh-looking snowpack with typical piling, very january-esque scene. the pack is not overly impressive in depth, but pretty solid and steady (since december 23) considering the type of winter being had.

This describes the scene in Stowe, perfectly. Not overly impressive but its been steady ground cover since a week before Xmas. 8-14" also describes it nicely depending on where in the village you are or how close to the mountain you are.

This is around here at 800ft...

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=54655

Given the winter we've had, I'll take it as it does look like January and IIRC, at this point last year we had about the same amount on the ground, lol.

fact is most of us thought the pattern would reload after 1/22 and we had to make hay in the interim. Although not perfect for everyone a lot of snow fell, Powderfreak got buried once, we got buried once and everyone in between got some snow. Big break in the miserable winter.

Yeah it worked out pretty well there from us getting that dump before MLK weekend, and then another 6" surprise late last week, followed by a couple SNE snow events.

And as Ginx mentioned in the snow-totals-to-date thread, you guys down along the south coast probably now have about the same amount of snow on the ground (a foot or so).

I had like 4" cumulative last week....to be wiped out today/tonight and left with the 4 or 5 inches of concrete from pre-existing stuff most likely.

It was a wintry week and I had enough for snow shoeing so be it...but a fail in the snow department.

Yea, not a bad week considering I was the screw hole of NE and still managed 9" on the week....though never had a pack of greater than 4" or so.

No need worrying. Yes it's going to kill most people's snow the next few days in the 3 SNE states. Big deal. This is not a snowpack year. Just get some more from the sky and I'll be content.

That's all, just enjoy it as it comes. To me that's all that matters anyway the kids appreciate 3-4 good snows a winter vs straight snowpack. Every single body in this hood was out in the snow both days this weekend. In a week if it snows again will be the same. If we had snow on the ground every day for a month by the 2nd week nobody would care.

That's all, just enjoy it as it comes. To me that's all that matters anyway the kids appreciate 3-4 good snows a winter vs straight snowpack. Every single body in this hood was out in the snow both days this weekend. In a week if it snows again will be the same. If we had snow on the ground every day for a month by the 2nd week nobody would care.

agree-no one cared after the 1st month of snow last year--of course it was too deep for kids to play in anyway! LOL

-

we need one more event so that this is not an 01-02 Redux

That block near Baffin Bay is what might try to force it south, but it's nothing too exciting....my guess is that it's a bigger ice threat for the far interior until we get a better consensus one way or another.

Oh yea, I could see an icy start for the ORH hills and especially GC, but the majority of us won't care.

Archived