• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM keeps the best lift closer to the actual front to the sw. Looks like it would be lighter and more disorganized precip as it comes through in the beginning.

We'll find out which camp ends up being more correct in about 12 hours. The NAM's lessening of the CAD at the sfc the last few runs is concerning as well for trying to forecast the icing situation. Usually its one of the more bullish models to show ice, but I have seen it fail once or twice before. Euro was showing a pretty big ice signal and the NAM is not.

We'll find out which camp ends up being more correct in about 12 hours. The NAM's lessening of the CAD at the sfc the last few runs is concerning as well for trying to forecast the icing situation. Usually its one of the more bullish models to show ice, but I have seen it fail once or twice before. Euro was showing a pretty big ice signal and the NAM is not.

even the GFS has a decent signal.

have a feeling that the WSW is Hillsborough countu in NH will be dropped and a wwa added. for evening update

It'll be close, but there could be sharp gradient within these counties. NE Cheshire and northern Hillsborough could easily be in for 6+" plus some light icing, while southern portions are looking at 3-5"

It'll be close, but there could be sharp gradient within these counties. NE Cheshire and northern Hillsborough could easily be in for 6+" plus some light icing, while southern portions are looking at 3-5"

then again they may keep the watch up due to iceing and time of day it occurs with schools and such

Didn't the nam lead the way in 2008? I'm just glad we arn't waiting for a well timed cold push to save the day like in December; the (somewhat cold) airmass is in place. More often than not the first scenario ends up favoring the mundane. Should be a fun night.

Didn't the nam lead the way in 2008? I'm just glad we arn't waiting for a well timed cold push to save the day like in December; the (somewhat cold) airmass is in place. More often than not the first scenario ends up favoring the mundane. Should be a fun night.

Yeah the NAM was the first to see the big '08 ice storm...the funny part was that the Euro didn't want to believe it until it was inside 24 hours out and the GFS was horrible in that event. It showed almost all rain.

This time its the NAM that is the least bullish...which is little bothersome.

Yeah the NAM was the first to see the big '08 ice storm...the funny part was that the Euro didn't want to believe it until it was inside 24 hours out and the GFS was horrible in that event. It showed almost all rain.

Haha, ... i can remember me and this Met bud of mine looking at a NAM product 2 days before hand that said 3.5" ice and were going ...nah

geeze Will those Dps in Maine and this setup look familiar. Do you have any prog maps from 08?

The way this is playing out in MA, I think they should ressurect the aptly named Weather Bureau "travelers' advisory". Whole bunch of meh and no need to talk about much else.

That said, I did just tell my wife I'd go with the odds that school will be closed tomorrow.

Due to the ice factor?

Due to the ice factor?

Actually due to the fact that all the teachers are grubling they haven't had a snowday yet.

Seriously though, primarily icy roads. Our district is over 400 square miles (largest in the state) with bus routes that include dirt roads, steep hills, etc. So, even if the main roads are good, there's a lot of miles over tough terrain in the district.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

400 PM EST WED JAN 11 2012

...A WINTER STORM WILL BRING ACCUMULATING SNOW AND SOME ICE TO

THE INTERIOR LATE TONIGHT INTO THURSDAY...

NHZ011-012-015-120500-

/O.UPG.KBOX.WS.A.0001.120112T0600Z-120113T0000Z/

/O.EXB.KBOX.WW.Y.0001.120112T0600Z-120113T0000Z/

CHESHIRE NH-EASTERN HILLSBOROUGH NH-

WESTERN AND CENTRAL HILLSBOROUGH NH-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JAFFREY...KEENE...MANCHESTER...NASHUA...

PETERBOROUGH...WEARE

400 PM EST WED JAN 11 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 7 PM EST

THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND ICE...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO

7 PM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...CHESHIRE AND HILLSBOROUGH COUNTIES OF SOUTHWEST NEW

HAMPSHIRE. THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES AND TOWNS OF...JAFFREY...

KEENE...MANCHESTER...NASHUA...PETERBOROUGH AND WEARE.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND ICE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES...ALONG WITH

UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN TO FALL BETWEEN 3 AM AND 5 AM THURSDAY.

* IMPACTS...DRIVING AND WALKING WILL BECOME DIFFICULT ON UNTREATED

ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS. MOTORISTS NEED TO BE ESPECIALLY CAREFUL

ON BRIDGES...OVERPASSES AND SECONDARY ROADWAYS WHERE SLIPPERY

SPOTS CAN EASILY DEVELOP.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

* FORECAST UNCERTAINTY...HIGHEST PROBABILITIES OF SIGNIFICANT SNOW

AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS OCCURRING WILL BE ACROSS NORTHERN PORTIONS

OF CHESHIRE AND HILLSBOROUGH COUNTIES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN SNOW AND/OR ICE IS

FORECAST TO DEVELOP IN THE AFFECTED AREAS...BUT ACCUMULATIONS ARE

EXPECTED TO BE LIGHT. ANY SNOW OR ICE WOULD MAKE DRIVING AND

WALKING DIFFICULT...BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE...ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS

AND SIDEWALKS. WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE BELOW FREEZING...MOTORISTS

NEED TO BE ESPECIALLY CAREFUL ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WHERE

SLIPPERY SPOTS CAN EASILY DEVELOP.

Some people failed to get put into the donating group automatically. You should be all set now.

Fixed CapeCodWeather too.

If anyone else who donated is seeing ads, PM me and I'll fix.

Why are we called "Donators" instead of "Donors"? Did George Bush write the copy?

Actually due to the fact that all the teachers are grubling they haven't had a snowday yet.

Seriously though, primarily icy roads. Our district is over 400 square miles (largest in the state) with bus routes that include dirt roads, steep hills, etc. So, even if the main roads are good, there's a lot of miles over tough terrain in the district.

lol We have had 2!

in October :axe: (but we made up 1)

The rural districts are usually some of the first to cancel. Anyway, a delay seems more likely here (Quabbin, Gardner, Leominster)

Archived